Toyota looking to Cummins for diesel options in Tundra

twintornados

Tundra..powered by Cummins??

My only question is, "WHY??"...not that it would make a lot of Cummins employees happy to produce more product, but Toyotas own heavy truck division makes a competent diesel engine for their Hino line of trucks....odd indeed....

Of course, they would have to manufacture one specifically for Tundra, I remember a few years back when Toyota showed off a "1-Ton" version of Tundra with a Hino 8.0L I6 motor (JO8E VC) that thing stuck into the cab...but, if they chopped off a cylinder and made it an I5 and reduced the bore and stroke for 1/2 ton applications...I would bet they could fit it in there...

Edited by twintornados

Hino also makes an inline 4 cylinder 5.0L diesel that makes 210 HP at 2,500 RPM and max torque of 440 ft lbs at 1,500 RPM...wonder how that would work in Tundra? I hear ya on the name recognition thing with Cummins....but, at the end of the day, makes little sense to "out-source" the engine when you have a capable diesel program ALREADY functioning...

Hino also makes an inline 4 cylinder 5.0L diesel that makes 210 HP at 2,500 RPM and max torque of 440 ft lbs at 1,500 RPM...wonder how that would work in Tundra? I hear ya on the name recognition thing with Cummins....but, at the end of the day, makes little sense to "out-source" the engine when you have a capable diesel program ALREADY functioning...

NVH characteristics are another biggie for the half-ton (and even 3/4 ton) market as well. I'm not saying that the Hino engines don't perform well there, as I don't know, but it is something to consider. I'm all for keeping things in house, but if you can go outside and expand sales 10 fold, then it's definitely something to think about.