2013 Lincoln MKX Indicator Stalk

edino

Hi All,

I am new here, and a very happy owner of our 2013 Lincoln MKX. We love the car overall, but we have a concern regarding the indicator stalk. It is difficult to lock the indicator (left or right) so the indicator stays on. The stalk is moving very heavy into the lock position; you have to push up or down (to engage the indicator lights) quiet hard, and then once there "click"; then the indicator light stays on. To get the stalk through the "click" goes really difficult. It is so difficult that we regularly flash the headlights at the same time. We went back to the dealer, who told us they all do this and they are not aware of any fix. Live with it......

Can someone confirm having the same issue, and if this is normal with this car?

"Live with it" isn't an acceptable answer if there is actually something wrong with it. Check another MKX to see if it feels the same. I know the newer signal stalks do require a little more effort than the older Ford designs, but I don't find it to be a problem so there very well could be something wrong with yours.

Edited by NickF1011

Thanks for the replies. I have tried with another Lincoln of the same year as well, and the same issue. I have Google'd it, and found that some other people also had complains, but it appeared that it is the design, so nothing can be done.I do understand there are differences per car, but the MKX stalk is unusually heavy, Especially from a luxury car I expected a bit more refinement on that part. I hope in future there is some kind of fix coming, but for now I guess we need to live with it....

Thanks for the replies. I have tried with another Lincoln of the same year as well, and the same issue. I have Google'd it, and found that some other people also had complains, but it appeared that it is the design, so nothing can be done.I do understand there are differences per car, but the MKX stalk is unusually heavy, Especially from a luxury car I expected a bit more refinement on that part. I hope in future there is some kind of fix coming, but for now I guess we need to live with it....

I would assume it uses the same stalk as the Edge, which I deal with every day as my daily driver. I actually prefer the firmer feel of the new design compared to the older ones. The lack of "clicking" as it engages gives it a more refined feeling in my opinion.

Edited by NickF1011

I would assume it uses the same stalk as the Edge, which I deal with every day as my daily driver. I actually prefer the firmer feel of the new design compared to the older ones. The lack of "clicking" as it engages gives it a more refined feeling in my opinion.

Its not the firm feel that is the problem. if you move the stalk until the point it it feels good (the signal blinks than only 3 times), but if you want the signal continuous on, you have to push very firmly, trough the point where it initially stops, and than you get a "click", and that the signals continuously blinks. And with firmly I mean, pushing so hard that you loose control of the stalk in forward-backward directly...so flashing the light in progress, I have tried other 2013 models, exactly the same,

Can any one tell if it is possible the code/program the signals in such way that when moving the stalk that the signals immediately stay in continues mode, instead of just signaling 3X? I would loose the feature of 3X signalling for the lane changes, but at least we do not have to struggle with the stalk all the time.

I can push mine (2013 Fusion) with one finger, so I don't understand why it's working that way. It doesn't sound right if you have to press that hard.

Mine doesn't fell anything like that. I suggest you have an issue and should take it in.

Exactly. Mine feels nothing as firm as you have described, edino. Mine easily goes past the first notch to turn on the continuous blinker with the ease of one finger. I find it to be much easier than most older cars that could especially give you difficulty when trying to engage the turn signal while the steering wheel is turned (I know my Mustang is annoying in that regard).

I like the 3-blink setting on the stalk of our '11, but whoever is responsible for changing the operation of the bright light switch from the old style: forward on, center normal, rearward to flash brights ought to be fired. In an emergency when you want to flash your brights, most times you will pull back on the stalk to flash your brights and instead turn the brights on. If you're trying to signal/warn someone, and you engage your brights instead of flashing them, you have just gotten them PO'd. I noticed driving my sister's new Escape that its switch is more like I have become accustomed to for years. Change just for the sake of change while throwing common sense and custom out the window isn't always best. Classic example…MFT/MLT center stacks.

I like the 3-blink setting on the stalk of our '11, but whoever is responsible for changing the operation of the bright light switch from the old style: forward on, center normal, rearward to flash brights ought to be fired. In an emergency when you want to flash your brights, most times you will pull back on the stalk to flash your brights and instead turn the brights on. If you're trying to signal/warn someone, and you engage your brights instead of flashing them, you have just gotten them PO'd. I noticed driving my sister's new Escape that its switch is more like I have become accustomed to for years. Change just for the sake of change while throwing common sense and custom out the window isn't always best. Classic example…MFT/MLT center stacks.

I've had both and I HATE the ones where you have to push the stalk forward for brights. My 2000 Lincoln LS used a pull/toggle setup like you describe where you pull to flash and pull further back to toggle the brights off or on. I never had a problem when flashing brights and even if you do then you just pull them again. OTOH - it's awkward to me to push the stalk away from you - it's much more natural to pull it towards you. YMMV. And I love MFT, too.

That high beam operation wasn't universal on previous designs either though. Several Fords in the past had the high beam switch configured the same way it is now.

At least Ford seems to have adopted a standard for all vehicles going forward. Like it or not, at least they'll all be the same. That's actually one longer term advantage of MFT/MLT as well. No matter what Ford vehicle you get into, if it has MFT/MLT, many of the controls will be familiar.

Edited by NickF1011

• 5 months later...

After going back a 2nd time to the dealership, I was again told its normal and refused to replace the switch that I am asking for. Strangely enough, the test driver also activated the headlights twice when using the turn signal when we went out for a drive.....

But now I found that a few other people have found the same problem with the Edge, Explorer and MKX, all 2013 models. Someone found a fix. It involves taking the switch apart and smoothen up the inside a bit; it worked for me, and now the turn signal works as it should be; it's as smooth as butter! There is definitely a quality problem with this switch, and the fact that I had to open up the switch myself to fix the problem on a car that has 4 years warranty left is a shame...

http://www.fordedgeforum.com/topic/13679-turn-signal-lever-hard-to-move/

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388119

I have been a Ford & Lincoln Customer for more than 18 years now, but found that despite their cars got better, the after service experience has gone worse over the past few years. I feel that the exclusive dealership here in Dubai is now so reluctant to use parts under warranty that I twice now had a bad experience with the service on my current car. The first was out of round tires, when I picked up my MKX brand new. There was a very bad vibration coming into the cabin and steering wheel, and I went straight back to the dealer. I asked them why they gave me the car in this condition and was told it will go away in 1000km. They would do nothing at this stage, so I decided to drive the 1000km. No surprise, after driving 1000 horrible kilometers it was exactly the same. I brought the car back, and It stayed in the workshop for 3 days, and was advised they had balanced the tires. As soon I picked up the car, I noticed it was a bit better, but the vibs where still there. Again back to the dealer. The next day I was called that the tires are out of round and they have asked an approval to replace the tires under warranty. After 2 days, I was called again and they had an approval to change 1 tire only (!); they claimed that in the end only one tire had a problem. When I picked up the car, it was again better, but I found at higher speeds (90 - 120km/h) the car was still vibrating and feeling rough on the smooth road. I was told that was due to the 20" wheels and low profile tires. I left it with that, but never enjoyed the ride that much. After 1 year of driving I got a flat tire and went to the Pirrelli dealer who strongly advised to change all tires as they found 3 tires were out-of round. When I left the workshop with new tires, I was amazed with the smooth ride....no vibrations at all; the ride was better than ever, they way it should have been in the first place. Its very clear, Ford had gone cheap on the warranty claim, and has seriously affected my pleasure of car ownership for one year!

To start with, I was very disappointed that the dealer gave me brand new car that drives rough and vibrates, and secondly, they would not fix it because Ford did not approve the claim. In they end, Now, more recently with my turn-signal problem the same thing. I blame Ford as they probably put a lot of pressure on the dealership to reduce part usage under warranty. Still, the dealer could have done much better too.

I am happy that Ford does well now financially, but that should not be on the expense of the customer; that they go cheap on warranty claims is not acceptable. One customer lost!

Edited by edino