International wants to raise dues

imageneral

Our capped profit sharing IS our raise and the UAW automatically gets a cut.

Its the new norm.

As to raising dues maybe once I get back back the things I voluntarily gave up for the good of the company and our union I would be more open minded / less offended.

Getting back what we once had is not a raise either. If the company is now profitable we should get back the things we had AND build on it.

If the UAW cannot negotiate / restore benefits we once had how in the hell do they plan on organizing anything else when you cant get back what you already lost?

Everyone has had to do more with less and the IUAW should be no different. If they need more funds sell Black lake for starters and cut expenses like Vegas and Fla. outings.

They are suppose to work for the existing dues paying members but it sure does not feel like it from where I am standing.

• Like 4

Bottom line...4 international raises in the past 10 years and none for us. We have had to give up alot and they have given up nothing. You bargained to get lower tier wages into the system and wonder why your coffers are reduced? Real simple, if we gave up so much why did the IUAW reduce to match the numbers on the floor. They not only did not reduce, they increase salaries and now complain that the coffers are low! Membership drops from 60k to 40k then you reduce your leadership by 1/3...isn't that how we determine reps in the plant based on numbers? Then every dollar on the hour you get in raises in the next contract is an extra $24 per member per year that goes into the fund. We win, you win...simple math. 44,000 members x $24 a month extra equals over 1 million extra...make it happen. And if they raise dues without raises then all these right to work states workers will start opting out and then what...raise dues again? Simple, we make money...you make money.

• Like 5

The million dollar question for us at Chicago ASsembly is why would our Chairman Coby Millender, President Carlo Bishop, Unit Fred Weems and Unit Aaron Straker present a motion to raise every UAW members dues! Maybe this was their Christmas gift to the IUAW crew.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

They need more money, here's a thought, have your meetings at Black Lake, that's what its for, instead of Vegas, Florida, Altantic City luxury resorts with expensive food & alcohol, should never ever have a meeting anywhere else & alcohol should not be allowed on the premises.......if its truly a worksite.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Be very careful about not paying union dues because you are pissed off about something. Don't you think the company would love that? The old saying "don't cut off your nose to spite your face" would be very fitting.

I am very thankful for the standard of living I have due to our union. But I also understand that we have a lot of weak, self serving, azz licking representatives and leadership that threaten our well being. We have to make sure we stand up to and remove the crooks that come to OUR union halls and threaten us. OUR union is a great thing that has been abused by the latest leadership.

I remember sitting at a skilled trades meeting at Region 1a a few years ago and a guy named Greg D., who is now working at international on Jefferson in Detroit, came in (with his sucker in his mouth) put his feet up on the table and started running his mouth making comments about people in production making so much money for tightening a bolt etc. This is someone who was involved in bargaining the last contract representing these very people....do we wonder why we gained nothing and gave up so much in the last contract?...this is someone who we pay to fight for us. I see a big problem there! These are people who are in it for themselves.

• Like 2

Go ahead and force a raise down the members throats...that may be just what it takes to finally get the membership to reject these BS contracts that keep coming our way...so if an extra 1/2 hour a month gets this membership to start making the union work for what we really deserve, cheap price to pay in my opinion.

Be very careful about not paying union dues because you are pissed off about something. Don't you think the company would love that? The old saying "don't cut off your nose to spite your face" would be very fitting.

I am very thankful for the standard of living I have due to our union. But I also understand that we have a lot of weak, self serving, azz licking representatives and leadership that threaten our well being. We have to make sure we stand up to and remove the crooks that come to OUR union halls and threaten us. OUR union is a great thing that has been abused by the latest leadership.

I remember sitting at a skilled trades meeting at Region 1a a few years ago and a guy named Greg D., who is now working at international on Jefferson in Detroit, came in (with his sucker in his mouth) put his feet up on the table and started running his mouth making comments about people in production making so much money for tightening a bolt etc. This is someone who was involved in bargaining the last contract representing these very people....do we wonder why we gained nothing and gave up so much in the last contract?...this is someone who we pay to fight for us. I see a big problem there! These are people who are in it for themselves.

You described that pos to a tee, unfortunatly there are many more just like him.

• Like 1

We were told by Jimmy Settles that it was to go toward the strike fund.

Problem is the strike fund has been used, or should I say abused, by Int'l.. It has become a "general" fund for them to do with s they please. Some mysterious withdrawls have left it with 300 million less than 5 years ago....?