Trading in Escape

howie411

If you sell it yourself you will definitely get more. I doubt a dealer will go as high as KBB.

Very true. I sold my last car myself and got WAY more than if I would of traded it in. I was looking at the new 2014 Jeep Cherokee, but that 9 speed transmission looks like trouble already before its even out of the gate.

Some states allow the tax rate to be calculated on the "as traded" price. Example is say, you are looking at a $35,000 car, and your trade in fetches you $27,000....you would only pay the tax on the difference of $8,000. Something to consider when selling it outright.

Absolutely. Your trade-in is actually worth the trade-in price plus sales tax so if you sell it yourself you need to get at least that much. In your example with a 7% sales tax the $27,000 trade is actually worth $28,890.

GA no longer charges sales tax - they replaced the 6%-7% sales tax (depending on the county) and the annual ad valorem tax ($100-$400 per vehicle per year) with a one time registration fee of 6.5%. One of the few times that government actually got something right and did something good for the people. Although you do lose the trade-in sales tax discount.

Edited by akirby

I need to go to Carmax this weekend and see what they would offer, my local dealer usually matches that, but I was insulted the other day when they gave me an estimate over the phone of $20k for the Escape. I'm sorry, it didn't drop 15k in 1 year.

Maybe they already have several just like it and don't need it. Or maybe the market is saturated right now. There could be legitimate reasons why it was so low.

Very true. I sold my last car myself and got WAY more than if I would of traded it in. I was looking at the new 2014 Jeep Cherokee, but that 9 speed transmission looks like trouble already before its even out of the gate.

Following the real market introduction of the Jeep Cherokee myself, should be entertaining.

Edited by Ticmxman

I need to go to Carmax this weekend and see what they would offer, my local dealer usually matches that, but I was insulted the other day when they gave me an estimate over the phone of $20k for the Escape. I'm sorry, it didn't drop 15k in 1 year.

Carry it in I doubt a phone quote is going to be top dollar. Good luck trading a one year old Escape, no way financialy you will not take significant $$$$-$? Hit.

The National Automobile Dealers Association (NADA) predicts prices on one-t0-three year old cars to fall 1.5 percent this year compared to 2012, as the grip of the recession loosens and more consumers return to new-car showrooms.

This is great and all, but "one-to-three year old cars" are generally not what people are looking at when they are talking about crazy prices for used cars. "One-to-three year old cars" are on dealer lots, are lease turn-ins, are practically new. When you can't buy a 10-year old car because it is over $10k, that's the problem with the used car market that most people are referring to.

NADA cites a 9.1 percent increase of new "light vehicle" sales in quarter three of 2013 from quarter three of last year as well as an influx of 2011 cars coming off-lease as major boosts to the near-future used car supply. If you didn't sleep through economics, you too would interpret that as an impending decrease in price.

So I ended up trading in my Escape today, was fun while it lasted but switched over to the Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium. Just couldnt deal with filling up the gas tank every 3 days anymore. Anyways for folks wondering on what I got for the trade in. Ford offered, 24k, Car Max offered 25k and when all was said and done Ford ended up giving me $26,400 for the Escape (which is more then KBB list now) so I'm happy.

So I ended up trading in my Escape today, was fun while it lasted but switched over to the Ford Fusion Hybrid Titanium. Just couldnt deal with filling up the gas tank every 3 days anymore. Anyways for folks wondering on what I got for the trade in. Ford offered, 24k, Car Max offered 25k and when all was said and done Ford ended up giving me $26,400 for the Escape (which is more then KBB list now) so I'm happy.

Excellent Howie. Hope all turns out well for you this time.

Thanks! so far I'm loving it. If Ford could make a few inside modification (not counting the hybrid stuff) the Escape could be almost perfect. I feel like in the Fusion everything is integrated well together (MyFord Touch and the driver console area) Also I enjoy having a space to put stuff behind the shifter (its the little things that make me happy, ha ha!

I hear ya on the DIC. The Fusion's dual colorful screens as so much nicer than the Escape's. To be honest, I don't really care about the left one that much - I'd rather have a real tach than a digital tach. But the right one is great. Mainly for the fact that I can have my music shown there, can quickly control my music or temp from there (in the case where I'm keeping the map up on the big screen) or just keep the next turn info on it when I'm on a long trip and just want the easy to see reminder.

Not a big fan of the touch sensitive buttons on the center stack though. I really like the fact that the Escape has real buttons. Though the extra storage space is tempting.... But anyways, congrats on your new purchase!