Union dues

dstyles

IUAW at DTP here this morning spewing the half hour dues raise BS with a letter from Bob King. CON CON better be listening to the membership, cause if this gets passed by a bunch of YES men...the future of the UAW is bleak.

MAP C-Crew got a handout on that yesterday. Seemed coniving and condesending to me. I may be new and still have a lot to learn, but something just didnt seem right bout the whole thing

• Like 1

A: We have to find a way to overcome that. I think it's real. I think when we quit listening to UAW membership or to the general public, then we're making a huge mistake, because we can learn from it and self-evaluate. We had little or nothing to do with Detroit, most people know that. But if it's an image, perception, we've got to deal with it. I think we have to re-examine, seek some outside advice on it.

WHEN WE QUIT LISTENING TO THE MEMBERSHIP...TAKE YOUR OWN F'ING ADVICE AND DONT ASK FOR A DUES INCREASE!!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The worst part about it all is the do nothings, being able to bump these "GO TO" guys. Union needs to change, and start doing what other companies do, and reward your key workers, the old senority rules are out dated.

The interview process is a joke, you interview for 6 jobsetters, and you go by the old rules of senority first, so your lucky if you even get one guy that can/ or wants to do the job when the machine goes down, while the other 5 go to break or disappear when needed. The rules here change just as fast as the wind does, which causes alot of confusion also.

Quoted by stepped on.

As a tool and die maker who has gotten an associates degree related to my job (tuition paid for by union negotiated contract) while working full time and also gone through a 4 year apprenticeship program I believe that if you want a job like die setter you should have some kind of related education/training before getting the job and be tested to prove it. Butt kissing 101 doesn't count. Also, someone who has operated presses for some length of time, who is actually interested enough to stick with the job for a few years and can demonstrate good mechanical ability is a good place to start.

I have repaired too many dies crashed by wiz bang suck asses that we later find should never have been allowed near a press. High and low seniority.

Edited by Hard Driver
  • Like 1

Quoted by stepped on.

As a tool and die maker who has gotten an associates degree related to my job (tuition paid for by union negotiated contract) while working full time and also gone through a 4 year apprenticeship program I believe that if you want a job like die setter you should have some kind of related education/training before getting the job and be tested to prove it. Butt kissing 101 doesn't count. Also, someone who has operated presses for some length of time, who is actually interested enough to stick with the job for a few years and can demonstrate good mechanical ability is a good place to start.

I have repaired too many dies crashed by wiz bang suck asses that we later find should never have been allowed near a press. High and low seniority.

He said "Job setter" not "Die Setter". Two extremely different job descriptions within Ford Motor Company and at Sterling. I'm guessing you don't work at Sterling.

He said "Job setter" not "Die Setter". Two extremely different job descriptions within Ford Motor Company and at Sterling. I'm guessing you don't work at Sterling.

My mistake on the classification. Change the die setter reference to job setter in my post.

No I haven't worked at Sterling Heights. Good guess.

I'm very familiar with production lines and machining operations. I have worked at a vehicle assembly plant, parts manufacturing plant, pilot plant and R&E. Both trades and production.

Edited by Hard Driver

My mistake on the classification. Change the die setter reference to job setter in my post.

No I haven't worked at Sterling Heights. Good guess.

I'm very familiar with production lines and machining operations. I have worked at a vehicle assembly plant, parts manufacturing plant, pilot plant and R&E. Both trades and production.

I wish it was that simple but it isn't.