Farley gaffe at CES

I wish Toyota would track drivers of its cars this closely. Then, when a Camry or a Corolla driver is blocking the passing lane, some person at Toyota's equivalent of OnStar can shout through the sound system speakers, "Speed up or move over."

Edited by grbeck
  • Like 2

I wish Toyota would track drivers of its cars this closely. Then, when a Camry or a Corolla driver is blocking the passing lane, some person at Toyota's equivalent of OnStar can shout through the sound system speakers, "Speed up or move over."

Amen! How about an update to Lane Keeping in which Sync says: "You've been in the left lane for a while now, when's the last time you passed a car?

• Like 2

"We have GPS in your car, so we know what you're doing. By the way, we don't supply that data to anyone."

Which vehicles can Ford track? All vehicles?

Also, what does "we have GPS in your car" mean?

The EVs and PHEVs use MyFordMobile (MFM) to manage their vehicles, driving, and charging - and part of the site will show where the car is currently located. Owners set up accounts, but you can use the below link and choose "enter as guest" to see what the site looks like. There is also a mobile app version.

https://phev.myfordmobile.com/content/mfm/en_us/site/my-car/home.html

Edited by jeff_h

By what does "we have GPS in your car" mean I want to know how that works. Apparently the GPS is not because of the built in Sony nav units, it comes from Sync which is standard.

What I want to know is if GPS is always on and the vehicle can be tracked when the vehicle is off. Or does it have to be running?

Just how can one disable this?

Not sure about sync but MFT has the GPS receiver in it with or without Navigation. It can't be disabled. It only works when the vehicle is on and I'm pretty sure it just records info but doesn't transmit it anywhere. This is nothing new and applies to most mfrs today.

Not sure about sync but MFT has the GPS receiver in it with or without Navigation. It can't be disabled. It only works when the vehicle is on and I'm pretty sure it just records info but doesn't transmit it anywhere. This is nothing new and applies to most mfrs today.

According to this article it does transmit when you give consent and giving cosent is using nav or clicking the Sync button.

Ford on Thursday denounced those comments.

“Ford is absolutely committed to protecting our customers’ privacy,” company spokesman Wes Sherwood said. “We do not track our customers. No data is transmitted from the vehicle without the customer’s express consent.”

Customers give consent when they use a navigation or voice-activated system.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140109/AUTO0102/301090127/1148/AUTO01/Ford-exec-apologizes-saying-company-tracks-customers-GPS

The agency said privacy advocates worry location data could be used to market to individuals and to “track where consumers are, which can in turn be used to steal their identity, stalk them or monitor them without their knowledge.”

This is all new to me. I know about the boxes that collect data inside the vehicle. But I didn't know Ford was transmitting GPS data back to them and the customer's express consent to this tracking is merely using SYNC which could be someone changing the radio station or temperature.

I know people are going to be throwing their tin-foil hats...but put this situation into perspective.

1. If you have a cell phone, you are getting tracked by your wireless telecommunication company. Also, if you have iOS or Android, you are getting tracked there too.

2. Ford is stating that they don't sell this information. Great I suppose?

3. I wouldn't mind my GPS information being sent to a central server for traffic/data aggregation, as long as it helps with traffic information. (Look at Google/Waze for outsourcing traffic with high degree of accuracy).

This honestly isn't a big deal as some websites/people are making it out to be. If all Ford vehicles could communicate back to a central server (highly encrypted and randomized), to enhance traffic information and alleviate congestion... I'd be all for it!

There is no way for Ford to transmit that data without making an outbound call on your cell phone. I don't think using the nav system constitutes giving "consent" for this data to be retrieved and used by Ford. I think the data stays in the vehicle unless it's downloaded by a dealer or Ford rep.

There is no way for Ford to transmit that data without making an outbound call on your cell phone. I don't think using the nav system constitutes giving "consent" for this data to be retrieved and used by Ford. I think the data stays in the vehicle unless it's downloaded by a dealer or Ford rep.

Nope. It wouldn't need to make a call per se, but simply use your data connection.