Strange noise coming from the back/trunk area.

Triple-Tap

It has been a little over a week since I received my fusion. I've been quite pleased for the most part, except one issue is really concerning me.

There's a strange noise coming from the trunk/back area. It seems like something is being moved around in the back. It's quite loud and it happens usually when I'm braking and turning. There's nothing in my trunk nor the back seats of my car, yet it's still making that noise and it's getting louder and louder.

Is anybody else experiencing this problem and/or knows what is causing this issue?

Check that the torsion bars that support the trunk lid have their rubber spacers centered on the bars. If the metal torsion bar can touch the metal shelf above it can make a lot of noise.

I don't really know how to check for this :(

Is it a sloshing noise (from a full fuel tank) or does it sound like a metal object rolling around?

It doesn't really feel like a sloshing noise nor a metal object. The best way I can explain it is.. it sounds like luggage or something in the truck that is just hitting one side to the other side. I kept the windows open and it doesn't sound like it's radiating from the outside, but more like something inside. Doesn't sound like no metal on metal nor any object friction for that matter. It's quite strange. It's quite loud though :(

I don't really know how to check for this :(

It doesn't really feel like a sloshing noise nor a metal object. The best way I can explain it is.. it sounds like luggage or something in the truck that is just hitting one side to the other side. I kept the windows open and it doesn't sound like it's radiating from the outside, but more like something inside. Doesn't sound like no metal on metal nor any object friction for that matter. It's quite strange. It's quite loud though :(

Open the trunk.

There are two round metal rods under the package shelf that are parallel to the bumper. i.e they go from left to right.

Each rod has a short rubber covering around it.

Are the rubber coverings centered on the rods?

Close all of your windows to see if the sound goes away.

You may be hearing the rumbling that happens with some combinations of open windows.

From the windows chapter in the Owner's Manual.

Note: You may hear a rumbling noise when just one of the windows are open. Lower the opposite window slightly to reduce this noise.

Open the trunk.

There are two round metal rods under the package shelf that are parallel to the bumper. i.e they go from left to right.

Each rod has a short rubber covering around it.

Are the rubber coverings centered on the rods?

Close all of your windows to see if the sound goes away.

You may be hearing the rumbling that happens with some combinations of open windows.

From the windows chapter in the Owner's Manual.

Note: You may hear a rumbling noise when just one of the windows are open. Lower the opposite window slightly to reduce this noise.

Everything looks okay? I mean I'm no expert but it seems to be all good.

I'm also having a problem where I turn off the car, it sounds like there is a popping noise coming from outside the car. I don't know if that's metal expanding/contracting but it's definitely a weird noise. Do you think that's related with the problem that I'm having?

Everything looks okay? I mean I'm no expert but it seems to be all good.

I'm also having a problem where I turn off the car, it sounds like there is a popping noise coming from outside the car. I don't know if that's metal expanding/contracting but it's definitely a weird noise. Do you think that's related with the problem that I'm having?

I am pretty sure this is normal for cars with a turbo. I believe what you are hearing is quite common of a turbo cooling down after the engine has been shut off.

i have the same problem. it sounds like something rolling . i thought it was a chunk of ice but its not. i checked the spare and everything in there was tight and in place. it went to ford today for 5000 mile service and to have pictures taken for the peeling clear coat on the rims. they said they looked in the spare area also.

My 2013 Fusion came with an extra bolt rolling around inside the rear passenger side door. I'd hear an intermittent rolling / scraping noise every time I accelerated or slowed down. I ended up having the dealer disassemble the door to find the source of the noise, under warranty of course.

I don't believe the noise is from an extra bolt, unfortunately :(.

It also seems like the sound is more prominent and increases frequency when I fill up my gas tank. Which is actually making me quite worried if this noise is related to the gas tank.

I'll be taking it in this week.

So a member from 2GFusions had his car at the dealer for this and they found a rear shock to be leaking. They're replacing it under warranty.

I haven't noticed it lately, but I'm also down to 1/4 of a tank so that could be why. When I refill I'll check for leaks and see if the sound returns.

could it be the funnel for the fuel door? I know it's supposed to be between the passenger seat and trunk.

Nope. I double checked. It seems to be set in secure. I don't know what else it could be, but hopefully the dealership will know. It's quite disconcerting when it could be related to a flammable substance.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, First time I posted on the forums but just wanted to let you guys know that the noise that I think you hear is the same noise that I have heard since I got my car back in Dec. 2013 and described is as a creaking/sloshing noise to my dealer who just said is was the gas moving in the tank. I kept telling them about it every time I brought the car in for an issue with the fuel gauge not telling me it was getting low.

Finally on a day I brought it in for an oil change I talked to a service tech and he thought that he saw a TSB about the noise in or around the gas tank.

I just had the worked worked done to my car and have not filled up yet to see if it was fixed as I want my tank to go low to see if this fixed my low fuel warning problem. But there is a TSB on record and they should replace the tank for you. Just to make sure this is not a fix for a specific car I have a Titanium AWD which does have a different tank than non AWD vehicles, I did not see the TSB myself so do not know if it covers more models.

Hope this helps Laters,

PS Just out of curiosity has anyone else had any problems with low fuel warning not coming on. Also I have a problem where the turn signal just likes to turn itself off or not come on at all.

Out of