Contingency announced from Ford for Dragracing!

Ford Racing Announces Additional NHRA Contingency for 2014

· $25,000 for Cobra Jet Championship

· $5,000 for Factory Showdown win

· Divisional Championship payouts for Stock and Super Stock

Dearborn, April 14, 2014– Ford Racing has posted $25,000 for any Cobra Jet racer who wins a Stock or Super Stock Championship in NHRA’s Lucas Oil National Event series for the 2014. Additional postings of $5,000 and $1,000 will be paid for 2nd and 3rd place finishers respectively. Any racer who competes in 5 out of 8 championship qualifying races in a Mustang Cobra Jet is eligible for the championship payouts.

“The Cobra Jet has been the most successful late-model racer in NHRA holding numerous records and national event wins,” said Jesse Kershaw, Ford Racing Drag Racing Competition Manager. “Our Cobra Jet teams are among the best in the sport, we want to incentivize and reward them for their dedication and hard work with this contingency program”

In the exciting Factory Stock Showdown class, Ford has posted a total of $7,500 at each of the four Factory Stock Showdown races for 2014. Payouts are as follows: $2,500 for an FS/A class win, $2,500 for an FS/B class win, and an additional $2,500 for the overall Factory Stock Showdown class champion, giving $5000 to the overall winner. The first Factory Stock Showdown race of 2014 was held at the NHRA Gatornationals March 12-15 with Chris Holbrook and his Watson Racing 2014 Cobra Jet taking both the FS/A class and overall Showdown win. “The Factory Stock Showdown is a fan favorite that showcases late-model factory hot rods in a heads-up format”, said Kershaw, “We’re excited to help promote and grow the class.”

Championship and Factory Stock Showdown postings complement the existing Cobra Jet contingency program that includes Stock and Super Stock payouts of $1500/$750 for winner and runner-up at NHRA Lucas Oil National events, and $1000/$500 at Lucas Oil Divisional events.

At the NHRA Divisional level, Ford Racing has added a new posting for any divisional champion or runner-up finisher that competes in a Ford vehicle. This is open to any model year Ford with payouts of $1000, and $500 for 1st and 2nd place in Stock or Super Stock for all seven NHRA divisions. A minimum two-thirds of the races contributing to the divisional championship points must be earned in a Ford.

All Ford racers are required to register with Ford Racing to be eligible for any contingency payout. Registered racers are provided contingency decals specific for their series and class and an exclusive Ford Racing drivers suit patch. Registration can be completed online at, https://www.fordracingparts.com/register/default.asp

Jesse is always on ClassRacer.com, excellent guy to talk to. I've pm'd him several times on my combo and I can't get over how I can talk directly with a guy at Ford who is the "racing arm" so to speak. Man if I could of had this in the 70's and 80's...
We are definately in the "golden years" or the "good old days" of racing.

Better than nothing, as far as drag racing goes, and great for the CJ guys.

I would still like to see even a little help given to Jim Cunningham and Larry Morgan in NHRA Pro Stock. They made the switch to Ford Mustangs with the promise of support, which has been completely cut off since Brian Wolfe left as Director of Ford North America Motorsports and Jamie Allison took over.

Edited by traxiii

Better than nothing, as far as drag racing goes, and great for the CJ guys.

I would still like to see even a little help given to Jim Cunningham and Larry Morgan in NHRA Pro Stock. They made the switch to Ford Mustangs with the promise of support, which has been completely cut off since Brian Wolfe left as Director of Ford North America Motorsports and Jamie Allison took over.

Don't go their. You'll get the ROI speech.

Don't go their. You'll get the ROI speech.

It's a valid speech. They can't support everything.

Meanwhile, let GM go and throw sponsorship money at everything: rides in Epcot, displays at the Smithsonian, etc. Lot of good it is doing them.

Edited by NickF1011

Don't go their.

There.

If they were promised support that's a different animal. Sounds like Jamie Allison realized they were throwing money down the drain and put a stop to it.

(whoops -- clicked edit on the wrong post - my bad -- Nick)

Edited by NickF1011

There.

If they were promised support that's a different animal. Sounds like Jamie Allison realized they were throwing money down the drain and put a stop to it.

(whoops -- clicked edit on the wrong post - my bad -- Nick)

Mr. Allison is a NASCAR and road racing guy. NHRA Pro Stock is about as relevant to street cars as NASCAR is now. They both run engines you can't buy in any Ford car from the dealer, and the Fusion isn't even available in a V8 The NASCAR V8 they race with that has never been a production engine. NHRA Pro Stock runs a 500 cubic inch pushrod engine, designed from a clean sheet of paper a couple years ago and of course was never a production car piece either. At least you can get a V8 in a Mustang still!

I have no use for NASCAR anymore, but would like to see a few bucks go to Pro Stockers.

I am glad for Ford's involvement in the TUTOR United Sportscar Championship and look forward to seeing the new Mustang competing in Grand Sport and the GT fields again finally.

Edited by traxiii