Take apart the driver side door pillar airbag panel?

expresspotato

Hi,

Does anyone know how to take apart the driver side door pillar airbag panel? The problem is the seat belt hook goes through it, not sure how it would come off...

Don't ask stupid questions like why. Dealer service seems so freaking incompetent there is a rattle coming from it and they claim they can't reproduce it... Yes I'll disconnect the 12v before opening it. Got the bottom of really easily, the panel just snaps off / back on.

Obviously you're frustrated, but did you take anyone for a drive to show them the noise? What you hear may not be what others hear... Their driving habits my not be able to cause the noise where yours can... Either way, to fix a concern, the tech, any tech, has to be able to reproduce it. Hopefully you didn't approach them with the attitude that you have shown on this post as all service writers and techs strive to be professional, but are human at the core. Honey vs Vinegar, my friend.

Oh my god, finally another owner with the same issue! I've had this issue since I got the car last fall and the three times I've taken it in, they were unable (or unwilling) to do anything about it. It's like a ticking noise and its simply maddening, right in my left ear.

You have to turn the volume up all the way, but this is what mine sounds like:

Edited by cjh

You bought a Ford and only needed to take it in 3 times? Oh lucky you! Praise the lord.

This would be visit number 14 for me.. Its definitely in the upper portion the airbag is bolted to the frame so there isn't really any risk from damaging it, just need to figure out how to get the light gray panel off...

You bought a Ford and only needed to take it in 3 times? Oh lucky you! Praise the lord.

This would be visit number 14 for me.. Its definitely in the upper portion the airbag is bolted to the frame so there isn't really any risk from damaging it, just need to figure out how to get the light gray panel off...

Yikes...what a terrible waste of time that has become.

Does your rattling sound like the same as the one in my video? The dealer has (or so they say) "sprayed lubricant" and "tightened some screws" to no avail. I really wouldn't doubt it if they actually did nothing though. It's made no difference in the sound or frequency of the occurrence.

If I could take the panel off I could figure it out my self... Its very similar to be honest it sounds like a wire or two pieces of plastic hitting each other. It happens when the car goes over bumps that would move it from side to side (vs typical front to back bumps). The left side will dip for example and on return you hear the noise.\

Anyone willing to post a few pages from the service manual or anyone willing to go halfsizies with me? Its $170 for a CD/DVD... Probably no real copy protection on it.

Edited by expresspotato

If I could take the panel off I could figure it out my self... Its very similar to be honest it sounds like a wire or two pieces of plastic hitting each other. It happens when the car goes over bumps that would move it from side to side (vs typical front to back bumps). The left side will dip for example and on return you hear the noise.\

Anyone willing to post a few pages from the service manual or anyone willing to go halfsizies with me? Its $170 for a CD/DVD... Probably no real copy protection on it.

Yep, we have the same issue whatever it may be. It happens more so on side to side bumps, as you said.

I wish we had access to the service manual...I too would be more than capable of fixing the issue. I'm leaving it to the dealer to resolve though since the car is under warranty and that's what its for. There are dozens of Ford dealers around me so I'm simply going to keep going to different ones until I find a service department that is semi-competent.

Yep, we have the same issue whatever it may be. It happens more so on side to side bumps, as you said.

I wish we had access to the service manual...I too would be more than capable of fixing the issue. I'm leaving it to the dealer to resolve though since the car is under warranty and that's what its for. There are dozens of Ford dealers around me so I'm simply going to keep going to different ones until I find a service department that is semi-competent.

You do have access for a price. The Gen2 Ford Fusion data is available from Helm for about $11. for 72 hour access. Was the full CD? It's about $170. through Ford. The info is out there.

Edited by hermans

I'm having the same issue. I keep hearing an annoying rattle on the passenger side near the location of the seat belt. It's becoming progressively louder...very frustrating! I haven't had it looked at yet, but I'm planning on it as soon as I can find time.

Edited by colepl

Update: temperatures reached 88 degrees here in west Michigan yesterday. Didn't hear the rattle once! Hoping the warmer weather has an impact on the plastics expanding and contracting and it'll stop (if temporarily).

You do have access for a price. The Gen2 Ford Fusion data is available from Helm for about $11. for 72 hour access. Was the full CD? It's about $170. through Ford. The info is out there.

True. Should have worded that differently...I wish we had access without paying $170. But yes, I understand all manufactures charge an arm and a leg for these books.

I'm having the same issue. I keep hearing an annoying rattle on the passenger side near the location of the seat belt. It's becoming progressively louder...very frustrating! I haven't had it looked at yet, but I'm planning on it as soon as I can find time.

Its highly irritating to say the least.

Update: temperatures reached 88 degrees here in west Michigan yesterday. Didn't hear the rattle once! Hoping the warmer weather has an impact on the plastics expanding and contracting and it'll stop (if temporarily).

True. Should have worded that differently...I wish we had access without paying $170. But yes, I understand all manufactures charge an arm and a leg for these books.

Its highly irritating to say the least.

I guess you missed the part where you can get 72 hour access for $11.00?

Edited by hermans