2015+ Mustang "SVO"?

No - the factory Golf R is only 295 hp. 400 hp is with modifications by Oettinger and there is no way that comes with a factory warranty.

My bad, only 395hp

http://blog.caranddriver.com/confirmed-vws-burly-ass-395-hp-golf-r-400-concept-will-be-built-2014-beijing-auto-show/http://blog.caranddriver.com/confirmed-vws-burly-ass-395-hp-golf-r-400-concept-will-be-built-2014-beijing-auto-show/

VW premiered the Golf R 400 Concept at the Beijing auto show, and here’s why it’s awesome: Powered by a 2.0-liter, turbocharged EA888 engine tweaked to produce 395 horsepower, it can reach 62 mph in 3.9 seconds and a top speed of 174 mph. Here’s why it’s double awesome: It’s going to be built, the confirmation of which we received directly from VW research and development chief Heinz-Jakob Neusser

????

I not claiming Ford didn't sell better engines. I'm just pointing out that Ford (and GM/Chrysler) were selling some V8s with rather embarrassing HP numbers for a long time. Right or wrong, some consumers looked at it as an indicator of their engineering abilities.

????

I not claiming Ford didn't sell better engines. I'm just pointing out that Ford (and GM/Chrysler) were selling some V8s with rather embarrassing HP numbers for a long time. Right or wrong, some consumers looked at it as an indicator of their engineering abilities.

You refer to the highest output 2.3L motor and then *immediately* reference 150hp V8s.

Watch me do what you just did:

There was a time when Ford sold the most powerful front wheel drive car on the planet. Now they're selling four cylinder engines that make only 175hp.

If Mitsubishi can get the Lancer's Sirius engine up to 440HP (220HP/L) and keep it together (Mitsubishi Lancer EVO X FQ-440), as well as another version that's tuned for 400HP (200HP per liter), then I'm absolutely sure that Ford is capable of making a 2.3L turbo engine produce 400HP or so (notice, I said V8 CLASS power, not specifically the output of the 5.0L). That's a specific output of 174HP/L, which isn't really wildly exotic as forced induction engines go. Its definitely high, but not completely unrealistic.

I doubt that Ford will do it as well, but I'm sure that they can.

LOL...AT 440 THEY MOST DEFINITELY DO not STAY TOGETHER.....10000 mile complete rebuilds are inherantly common...ever wonder why they dont put a version of Ken Bolcks 650 hp engine in a production Fiesta????....

Edited by Deanh

400 hp from a turbo 4 is readily doable. Reliability makes it way, way expensive, luxury-car expensive, way beyond the Focus ST build-level, for example. That's an RS Focus build-level and with AWD, maybe $45K or more? For what it would cost, maybe world-wide sales could justify it, I'd love to see an AWD RS Focus to give the A-3/TT tuner crowd something to watch. :)

????

Those consumers were morons. The hp drop off that took place from the 1970's through the late 1980's and early 90's was due entirely to government regulation on the automotive industry. Domestic brands were not the only cars affected by it. Even the venerable Ferrari F40 was 478 hp from the factory and that can easily be achieved with a Mustang GT today or just buy a GT500. Adjusted for inflation both of these cars cost far less than would an F40. In 1991 a Taurus SHO was only about twenty less hp than a 1991 Porsche 911. Doesn't really speak well for the 911. As things like fuel injection, coil pack ignition, ECM's and other technologies came along the hp and performance of all brands gradually improved despite the government regulations. And finally I think maybe you've completely forgotten about a car offered by Buick known as the Grand National that was outrunning just about anything the Europeans were putting on the road. V6 powered.

No. I don't think they're going to do two tunes of the 2.3 and badge one of them SVO, and here's why:

There are three things to remember with the SVO's engine:

1 - it was a 2.3L 4.

2 - it was turbocharged.

3 - its power was comparable to the V8.

You cannot meet all three of those criteria today, but you can meet two, so which two are you going to meet?

My money is that the next SVO will meet 2 & 3, which means a 3.5L EB.

I'll take 1 and 3 then. Nevermind. I thought this was a pick any two proposal. i do not think you meant it that way.

Edited by Schpark