International Terrastar???

Most of you probably know that Galpin Ford in Southern California is on of the largest Ford dealers in the country. What you may not know is Galpin Studio rentals is a major provider of vehicles to the film industry around here as well. Naturally, their vehicles have been Fords, including large numbers of crew cab F-650 studio vans. Galpin Studio Rentals seems to me to be one of the largest users of Ford medium duty trucks in the Los Angeles area. Today, for the first time I saw a brand new Galpin Studio Rentals International Terrastar. Wonder what is up with that! Galpin does not to my knowledge own an International dealer.

Edited by 7Mary3

Was it a tractor? Maybe the studio needed a large truck for an action movie? Or it's going to be used to haul a trailer full of equipment? Remember the good old days when every cabover you saw on TV/film was a C-series?!

No, bobtail van body with a big lift gate just like the F-550's they have. The TerraStar is a class 4-5 truck. I could see Galpin having a few class 8 DuraStars since there is no competing Ford product, but for them to buy a direct competitor to the F-550 strikes me as strange.

The C series was certainly 'old', but it was only 'good' if it had an Allison transmission!

I am seeing TerraStars show up in fleets that are generally F450/550. Most seem to be dumps around here. Might it be agressive pricing and effective dealer network is helping?

You might be correct on the pricing as well as the dealer issue. I would also have to believe that commonality of "wear parts" as far as some cab components with the Work Stars, ProStars also is a factor. Just what many of us have been saying about the benefits of being a full line provider covering as many classes as possible.