2015 F150 Towing and Payload Numbers

You can't get the sport package with the heavy payload package. IN fact you can't even get the Chrome package with the heavy duty package. The heavy duty package adds a couple K to the price. I did add a few stuff to my speced XLT, like a spray in bed liner (that I also added on the Ram). I tried to keep them as comparable as possible..

see, what happened to the "pretty regular" features and nothing special.....? That heavy duty payload package is aimed more at the XL commercial series, VERY few will turn their XLTs and Lariats into pseudo 3/4 ton pickups...

Edited by Deanh

see, what happened to the "pretty regular" features and nothing special.....? That heavy duty payload package is aimed more at the XL commercial series, VERY few will turn their XLTs and Lariats into pseudo 3/4 ton pickups...

Well, that was my whole point to the my first post. I was looking at the F 150 as a possibility as my next vehicle. I currently have a 3/4 ton truck and a car. Was thinking of consolidating into one vehicle, and what had me interested in the new F 150 to begin with was the fact that the payload is now 3k, but only in the max payload model.

And I believe their is a larger market than you realize for a pseudo 3/4 ton truck. The 3/4 tons out now are just way overkill for what many of us need or want in a truck. The HP/torque wars turned these trucks into beasts. I don't need a beast truck. Just one a little more capable than the current model half tons.

Edited by Chester

Well, that was my whole point to the my first post. I was looking at the F 150 as a possibility as my next vehicle. I currently have a 3/4 ton truck and a car. Was thinking of consolidating into one vehicle, and what had me interested in the new F 150 to begin with was the fact that the payload is now 3k, but only in the max payload model.

And I believe their is a larger market than you realize for a pseudo 3/4 ton truck. The 3/4 tons out now are just way overkill for what many of us need or want in a truck. The HP/torque wars turned these trucks into beasts. I don't need a beast truck. Just one a little more capable than the current model half tons.

If you were to use the truck as a car, you would be MUCH happier with the F150 over a Ram 3/4 ton. How much payload do you need? What do you tow/haul that you currently need a 3/4 ton for. I currently have an F250 to tow our fifth wheel. I'm wondering if the F150 with the HD payload package will cut it for my next truck.

What do you tow/haul that you currently need a 3/4 ton for.

See my first post on this subject. 3 horse gooseneck trailer. When loaded heavy, can have around 2k on the nose. Most of the times lighter. There is a gazillion of these size trailers on the road. New generation of 3/4 ton trucks are way overkill, but current half tons don't have the payload capacity needed for a gooseneck.

in that case you should be surprized if a Pseudo 1/2 ton is close price wize to a 3/4 ton, especially given its a brand new model, a 2015 Aluminum body with capabilities close to a regular 3/4 ton ( oh, but will leave it for dead at the stoplights ...lol ) And you may be correct, there may be some conquest buyers caught between the 1/2 ton isnt enough, but the true 3/4 is too much....and PS, the Missus and I have discussed a 2.7 with a smaller Airstream....ahhh, to dream...

Edited by Deanh

See my first post on this subject. 3 horse gooseneck trailer. When loaded heavy, can have around 2k on the nose. Most of the times lighter. There is a gazillion of these size trailers on the road. New generation of 3/4 ton trucks are way overkill, but current half tons don't have the payload capacity needed for a gooseneck.

Sorry, I missed your first post.

2k pin weight might still be a little much unless you don't put anything else in the truck. For a 4x4, the max payload is 3050 lbs. for the EB 3.5. I'm guess that is a regular cab. You can probably deduct 500 lbs for a crew cab (guessing here) so that drops you to 2500 lbs. With 2k lbs of pin weight, that only leaves you 500 lbs of goodies and people. Not enough in my opinion.

I would like to see an 'F200' from Ford. Just a bit more than the F150, but not the beast that the F250 is. I don't need 860 ft-lbs of torque. I would like to see about a 4-4.5L EB V8, 3k lbs of payload in a crew cab. IFS too, please.

Sorry, I missed your first post.

2k pin weight might still be a little much unless you don't put anything else in the truck. For a 4x4, the max payload is 3050 lbs. for the EB 3.5. I'm guess that is a regular cab. You can probably deduct 500 lbs for a crew cab (guessing here) so that drops you to 2500 lbs. With 2k lbs of pin weight, that only leaves you 500 lbs of goodies and people. Not enough in my opinion.

I would like to see an 'F200' from Ford. Just a bit more than the F150, but not the beast that the F250 is. I don't need 860 ft-lbs of torque. I would like to see about a 4-4.5L EB V8, 3k lbs of payload in a crew cab. IFS too, please.

Im dreaming, but Id like to see a modular chassis that could be widened and or shortened dependent to needs. One that could adress a sub F150 size, F100, all the way through to Superduty capacity. Over simplification of the impossible no doubt...

I would have agreed with you 5-10-20 years ago, but the new Rams are sharp. The interiors are better than the current interior in the Superduty Fords (not sure they will last as long, but they do have a nicer look and feel to them). Engine is solid. Pretty refined truck overall.

:redcard:

Have you driven either? I will agree that the Ram interior looks nicer, but as for being a refined drive, speaking about the diesels, it is not even close. The Ram is very noisy and unrefined. Our King Ranch F350 is luxury quiet. Go to youtube and watch the TFL comparison of the Chevy, Ram, and Ford. They really liked the Ram interior, and mainly griped about the hard plastics in the Superduty, but they commented that the Ford was the quietest. During the Ram drive you could hear how loud it was. That would drive me nuts on a road trip. Also, they commented that the dodge bounced with the trailer, and on the superduty they said they had to double check if the trailer was even back there! :shift:

:redcard:

Have you driven either? I will agree that the Ram interior looks nicer, but as for being a refined drive, speaking about the diesels, it is not even close. The Ram is very noisy and unrefined. Our King Ranch F350 is luxury quiet. Go to youtube and watch the TFL comparison of the Chevy, Ram, and Ford. They really liked the Ram interior, and mainly griped about the hard plastics in the Superduty, but they commented that the Ford was the quietest. During the Ram drive you could hear how loud it was. That would drive me nuts on a road trip. Also, they commented that the dodge bounced with the trailer, and on the superduty they said they had to double check if the trailer was even back there! :shift:

I have driven them (just around the block at the dealers ) and they all seem refined to the older diesels I am used too... LOL. Ford is the quitest though. Interior in the Ford is getting long in the tooth. Maybe not so much for a King Ranch, but the XLT interior looks like it came from the nineties. Edited by Chester

I'd wait until the 2017 Super Duty if the 150 is too small and the current Super is too big.

Now you have my interest! I really wish you could tell me more! :)

EDIT: Is that positioning Ford to downsize the F150 in the next gen? If the F250 shrinks a tad, it will cover the upper end of the F150 specs. That could allow Ford to drop the F150 in size and specs in order to increase fuel economy even more for those that only need the specs of an F150. A smaller, lighter, more fuel efficient F250 for those that need more capability.

Mike Levine did confirm in a tweet that the next SD will use aluminum:

Next-gen @Ford Super Duty will leverage #2015F150 high-strength aluminum alloy technology

Edited by fordmantpw

Parts of it will look very familiar.

Interesting.....

As always, I know Pioneer is limited in what he can say, so I'll just speculate out loud a bit...

I wonder if we're going to go Old Skool in some manner similar to the way it was back in '98 when we had the F-150 (with its new-for-'97 rounded off styling) and then we also got an F-250 that had the same body styling, but wasn't the F-250 Super Duty? (Essentially an F-250 LD)

Remember those?

As always, I know Pioneer is limited in what he can say, so I'll just speculate out loud a bit...

I wonder if we're going to go Old Skool in some manner similar to the way it was back in '98 when we had the F-150 (with its new-for-'97 rounded off styling) and then we also got an F-250 that had the same body styling, but wasn't the F-250 Super Duty? (Essentially an F-250 LD)

Remember those?

That is the HD payload package on the F150 today. Complete with 7-lug wheels, just as the late 90's had. I can't remember which year they renamed it to F150 from F250 LD.