2015 F-150 Wins Motor Trend's Truck Trend Truck of the Year

In fact, the 3.5L EcoBoost V-6equipped model in this test allowed the F-150 to dominate every instrumented test category, while delivering the best average and highest fuel economy of any 1/2-ton in the test.

Read more: http://www.trucktrend.com/oftheyear/truck/1501_2015_ford_f_150_our_pickup_truck_of_the_year/#ixzz3OFe5Tgmp

This is exactly how marketing works. Look at all the other contenders. There was only two other half-tons, the Chevy 1500 and the Tundra. They make it sound like it was in contention with a sea of other half ton trucks for FE.

Kudos to them, but it is kinda funny how this was written.

Edited by Intrepidatious

I wonder to what extent this award is 'for sale'---you would think that Ford will spend very little money advertising "Truck Trend's 2015 Truck of the Year Truck!" Which means the award itself is relatively valueless, which in turn implies that if it's for sale (shoot. probably is), it's probably not expensive.

I have no doubt the F-150 was the best truck.

I also believe Motor Trend COTY and TOTY are for sale to the highest bidder, Perhaps Ford is a little nervous about the reception of an aluminum truck? And wanted to ensure it's standing. It's the biggest seller by far.....a few crumbs for insurance seems reasonable.

I remember when Ford gave them a shoddy pre-production Explorer. And got a subsequent bad review. But it sold well anyway. But the F-150 is a LOT of gravy!

I don't think the TT award is for sale per se. It's a completely different editorial and management team - just owned by the same conglomerate. Like Richard says - there isn't much advertising cachet to add any value there. Of course they have their own biases and their OTY comparisons are no more or less valid than any others whether F150 wins or not.

This is exactly how marketing works. Look at all the other contenders. There was only two other half-tons, the Chevy 1500 and the Tundra. They make it sound like it was in contention with a sea of other half ton trucks for FE.

Kudos to them, but it is kinda funny how this was written.

So, the invite of Dodge and Nissan might have changed the outcome? What are we to read between the lines here? Tundra owners will swear to you that their truck is far superior in every way. Are they lying while Dodge owners are for certain telling the truth?

The comment about "dominate every instrumented test category" indicates that the Ford F150 has real merit, not that it is sold by marketing gimmicks, perception, or personal opinions.

Edited by Kev-Mo

If I recall - In the Motor Trend TOTY the new F150 "dominated every instrumented test category" but still lost because "uncertainty regarding reliability of aluminium". Which translates to: Even though the Ford tests better, we like someone else so we will grab at something to rationalize our decision. Anyone who thinks aluminum is not reliable has never flown in a commercial aircraft, or is to ignorant to realize what many shiny metal things that are all around them every single day are made of.

Edited by Kev-Mo

So, the invite of Dodge and Nissan might have changed the outcome? What are we to read between the lines here? Tundra owners will swear to you that their truck is far superior in every way. Are they lying while Dodge owners are for certain telling the truth?

The comment about "dominate every instrumented test category" indicates that the Ford F150 has real merit, not that it is sold by marketing gimmicks or perception.

He's only objecting to the wording in the article about "all other half ton trucks". They could have just said against the other two half ton contenders like they do a few sentences later. I don't think it was necessarily done to deceive anyone or make the F150 look better. Just a less than stellar choice of words for an objective publication.

If I recall - In the Motor Trend TOTY the new F150 "dominated every instrumented test category" but still lost because "uncertainty regarding reliability of aluminium". Which translates to: Even though the Ford tests better, we like someone else so we will grab at something to rationalize our decision. Anyone who thinks aluminum is not reliable has never flown in a commercial aircraft, or is to ignorant to realize what many shiny metal things that are all around them every single day are made of.

And anyone who still thinks that award isn't up for sale to the highest bidder has their head in the sand. Has nothing to do with what they like or dislike - it's who brings the biggest and best marketing plan and check. Therefore none of the rationale they gave means anything.

He's only objecting to the wording in the article about "all other half ton trucks". They could have just said against the other two half ton contenders like they do a few sentences later. I don't think it was necessarily done to deceive anyone or make the F150 look better. Just a less than stellar choice of words for an objective publication.

Bingo.

The 2015 Ford F-150 has been honored with the inaugural Truck Trend 2015 Pickup Truck of the Year award from the truck experts at the magazine

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2015/01/06/f-150-is-truck-trend-magazine-pickup-of-the-year.html

F-150 outperformed all other contenders in various tests evaluating truck design, capability, performance and fuel efficiency

“Ford has found a sweet spot in the half-ton pickup segment, delivering a compelling mix of efficiency and capability, while still delivering an enhanced driving experience that American consumers demand,” said Sean P. Holman, Truck Trend content director. “What we put these trucks through was nothing short of grueling, and it was the F-150 that consistently impressed our experts.”

Sounds to me like the TT guys never cared for the politics of the MT TOTY award and now have the freedom to do their own award with their own criteria. Kudos to them (and this has nothing to do with them picking F150). I still don't give this any more value than any other comparison test. It's more about them thumbing their nose at MT.

I know, but I don't see where Truck Trend has enough recognition to be able to do that. I don't see Ford touting "Truck Trend's TOTY" in their advertising. And if Ford wanted to buy an award they would have bought the MT award.

I hear what you are saying, but think on this:

What scenario seems more likely?

1) There's an editorial rebellion and the staff of Truck Trend goes against what their parent company says to keep their editorial integrity and create a completely new award in spite of their owners.

2) The TEN Group realizes that magazine subscriptions are WAY down. They need more advertising revenue. It is well known that they already sell a number of awards. They realize that Truck Trend has a subscription base that is primarily interested in trucks and buyers of trucks. They create a new award to target that advertising niche and sell it to the company with the best advertising plan.

I mean what truck manufacturer wouldn't pay to target this audience? (Truck Trend's subscriber demographic)

• MALE: 98.5%
  • AVG. AGE: 38.3
  • AVG. Household Income: $103,753
  • ANY COLLEGE: 90.7%

Yes, their print base is a fraction of a fraction of Motor Trend's and the award most likely cost a pittance compared to what Chevy paid for the MT TOTY. But it is a targeted fraction as well (mind you they do have a web, digital mag and social presence as well). Having their own award will also make them seem more relevant as well.

While I'm sure that the Scenario #1 (which I would like to refer to as the Aaron Sorkin Scenario) is entirely possible. I don't see it as very likely.

Edited by Intrepidatious

IF this is all being driven from TEN then I would TENd to agree with you. But if it's being driven solely by MT leadership then scenario 1 is far more likely.

I don't know how TEN manages their subordinate publications. Could be hands off or micro managed.

But this is the part I'm still not buying. How does it really benefit Ford to advertise their best selling pickup with a niche publication award?

MT has recognition with the general public even if they don't read MT. I don't think Truck Trend has that same recognition. And if you're only targeting the folks who actually read Truck Trend, then Truck Trend is already taking care of that advertising with the award itself.

Not saying it isn't possible but I think it's far less likely than you do.

IF this is all being driven from TEN then I would TENd to agree with you. But if it's being driven solely by MT leadership then scenario 1 is far more likely.

I don't know how TEN manages their subordinate publications. Could be hands off or micro managed.

But this is the part I'm still not buying. How does it really benefit Ford to advertise their best selling pickup with a niche publication award?

MT has recognition with the general public even if they don't read MT. I don't think Truck Trend has that same recognition. And if you're only targeting the folks who actually read Truck Trend, then Truck Trend is already taking care of that advertising with the award itself.

Not saying it isn't possible but I think it's far less likely than you do.

It doesn't matter how big or small a media group is, they still rely solely on advertising to stay in business (subscriber base doesn't make them money-or at least very little-, it is mostly just an outlet for advertisers). Just because they are way smaller then Motor Trend doesn't mean they just give up and create an award and hope subscribers come flocking to them.

Let's put it this way: Why does Ford advertise in smaller magazines if only a limited number of people are going to see it? It's the same thing here. Think of this as a guarantee of 12 months of advertising and product placement in all of Truck Trend's outlets....not an award. Plus it's also something Ford can tout. (Don't you think TEN made a big deal out of "Trend" being in the award title?)

I've got some stories that would make your toes curl with the Media groups I deal with.

Edited by Intrepidatious

Ok - if you're just saying they bought advertising within the magazine itself, then I could understand that - but it wouldn't be a large amount.

I was talking about doing a national advertising campaign using the "Truck Trend TOTY" award like they do for MT and that's where I don't think TT has enough recognition to warrant a large investment. Although having Trend in the name does help a little.

I guess we'll find out if we start to see F150 ads touting the award. I doubt it.

Anything with motor trend, truck trend, car and driver, or any other stupid non "car guy" mags I don't give a rats ass what they say. And because they talk about the "symetrical occilations of the contours" of a gearshit doesn't make them "car guys" in my book. Ask any one of them if they've ever built anything and raced it and they would give you blank looks.

%^&* this award and any others they sell. These clowns would be just as "astute" at writing about appliances.