European Automakers defend diesels, call them key to meeting CO2 goals

jpd80

Can you supply evidence that you yourself have that credentials to evaluate that?

You keep quoting a 254M figure as if that means something in the technical sense.

I have the credentials required to evaluate statements that lack supporting evidence.

And yes, I keep citing the number of registered vehicles that drive on the road because your solution requires tracking the movements of registered vehicles that drive on the road.

I'm an IT architect with a fortune 50 company for the last 28 years. I've worked on multi-billion dollar multi-year projects. More importantly I've worked projects all the way from development through production support and lifecycle management.

Your solution has too many holes in it to be taken seriously. Would it work in a proof of concept lab environment? Sure. Real world over 20 or 30 years? Not a chance.

More importantly, if you assume that the average tax per person was $400/yr and that the difference between types of roads was 25% then you're talking about trying to charge some people $300 and some $500 instead of just charging everyone $400 which doesn't require any of this nonsense.

I think we all agree that EU government approach to tax is different to that of the US.

Look at traditional taxation methods used there and most are user pay via increased fuel taxes and registration costs.

Most heavily congested areas will no doubt have some form of tax imposed via registration plate recognition or E-toll technology.

But do those states need to know the location of evbery single vehicle? probapbly not, all I'm saying is that there's probably

simpler solutions to collect more tax and prevent road users avoiding it..

A tax only works as income for the government if people pay it, if people avoid the tax then it's social engineering.

What happened in France was first social engineering that forced people to choose more fuel efficient vehicles to

avoid tax and then true tax by forcing all diesel owners to pay more tax.

Edited by jpd80