2009 Flex Xenon/HID Replacement Bulb?

rmc523

I recently had the passenger xenon/HID headlight bulb begin to die (it stops working intermittently, but will come back on when I turn the lights off and on, and has a pink color when it does come on) on my 2009. Took it into the dealer this morning, and they're wanting to charge $800 to replace it?? Now half of that is labor, and I'm not sure if they're trying to replace the entire headlight for that price or what.

My question to anyone that may know - is it possible to replace just the bulb itself? I know it has a ballast, which presumably may be bad as well, at which point that would need to be replaced too (I assume it'd probably be smart to replace both at the same time)? And is it something that can be done myself at home? Or is this really something that needs to/should be done by the dealer? $800 seems absurd to change a headlight bulb.

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions!

Edited by rmc523

2009 Flex with HID headlamps use D3S bulbs with the igniter integrated into the base (ballast is a separate component). A single OE Osram-Sylvania D3S bulb goes for approximately $150: http://www.amazon.com/SYLVANIA-High-Intensity-Discharge-Bulb/dp/B00265FWIC

HID bulb replacement can be done DIY. Here are some tips:

• First and foremost is safety. The igniter makes use of high potential difference - 20,000 V or higher - so some experience working with high voltage components is very helpful. Prior to replacing the bulb, ensure headlamps are turned completely off, disconnect the vehicle battery, and park the vehicle in an area that's not damp. If you are not comfortable with this, it's probably best to let a reputable independent shop handle the job.
  • As with halogen headlamp bulbs, do not let your skin contact the glass of the HID bulb capsule. It's best to wear gloves when doing bulb replacement work.
  • Since one headlamp is working properly but the other isn't, it's prudent to first "swap" the good bulb onto to the other side of the vehicle for testing. If the bulb operates properly on the other side, you've confirmed that it's indeed a bulb/igniter issue. On the other hand, if the same intermittent operation occurs after the bulb swap, there are other components including ballast, wiring, relays, software, etc., that may be at fault. This test will help you determine if purchasing a new bulb is appropriate.
  • If your Flex has any damage (e.g., cracks) to the headlamp housing assembly, the entire housing should be replaced. Water leaks and foreign matter that enter through may contaminate the HID bulb and cause it to fail prematurely.