Ecosport Spy Pics, Hints of Future U.S. Sales

The spare was mounted on the back so that Ford South America could have an AWD version of the vehicle.

If Ecosport was truly designed for other markets, that spare would have been stowed out of sight like B-Max

and the extra 7" of length given back to rear cargo room - those two changes would make Ecosport much

more appealing to global markets, that spare on the rear draws a lot of negative criticism.

In depth video review from a German site (in english) of the updated EcoSport

I wonder if a variation of this will become the C-Max HEV/PHEV replacement or have a BEV version. I can see it, higher stance for battery placement under the vehicle, 1.0L ecoboost and a 6 speed auto. It's smaller than the Escape, so it won't directly compete with that segment and bigger than the Focus EV, for folks who want sit higher and have a little more cargo space.

I wonder if a variation of this will become the C-Max HEV/PHEV replacement or have a BEV version. I can see it, higher stance for battery placement under the vehicle, 1.0L ecoboost and a 6 speed auto. It's smaller than the Escape, so it won't directly compete with that segment and bigger than the Focus EV, for folks who want sit higher and have a little more cargo space.

You obviously haven't seen one of these in the flesh, it's basically a jacked up Fiesta and much smaller than a Focus EV.

True that being a utility, it's set a lot higher than a car but unless Ford intends putting batteries under the floor,

there's no room for hybrid batteries let alone the larger packs required for BEV operation..

Edited by jpd80

I'm hoping that in the next generation, Ford will indeed combine compact and subcompact vehicles on one platform

and finally sort out the mess of shortcomings with space utilization for electrification, the current vehicles did their

job of unifying Ford regions but now it's time for Ford to take the next big step and really go for electrification.

That happens right at the kick off meetings when basic parameters and stakeholder needs are established

If diesel falls out of favor in Europe, Ford may be wise to have electrification ready to go as an alternative,

that could be why Ford has pulled this lever on electrification, maybe they sense the change coming?

Edited by jpd80

You obviously haven't seen one of these in the flesh, it's basically a jacked up Fiesta and much smaller than a Focus EV.

True that being a utility, it's set a lot higher than a car but unless Ford intends putting batteries under the floor,

there's no room for hybrid batteries let alone the larger packs required for BEV operation..

I have not, I don't live in Eurpoe. It was difficult for me to gauge the scale from the video or photos I've seen and I have not researched the specific size, weight and volume specifications. With the announcment of the expansion of electrification options, I guess it was just a spontaneous thought, sorry.

Hey transitman, all good mate and sorry if it sounded like I was putting your post down.

I live in Australia so will try to get some pics later today of Ecosport next to either Focus

or Kuga so you have a frame of reference, might take a while due to time difference.. :)

Not sure if these photos show the difference well enough for you but rest assured that the Ecosport

is narrower and much shorter than the white Kuga (10" plus another 7" for the external spare)

Bit hard with a salesman buzzing around.....

IMG_0004_zps3qh6ulcb.jpg

IMG_0007_zpsojwmkgcj.jpg

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

The spare was mounted on the back so that Ford South America could have an AWD version of the vehicle.

If Ecosport was truly designed for other markets, that spare would have been stowed out of sight like B-Max

and the extra 7" of length given back to rear cargo room - those two changes would make Ecosport much

more appealing to global markets, that spare on the rear draws a lot of negative criticism.

AWD was requirement for South America but the length was dictated by India. The short trunk means there is no room for even a mini spare tire with the location of rear axle back there. The 1st gen EcoSport and its European cousin Fusion had the option of internal mini spare tire on the FWD version. That was eliminated in the 2nd gen EcoSport.

The solution was external spare for everyone... a compromise that made the car less appealing in Europe and some Asian markets.

Edited by bzcat

AWD was requirement for South America but the length was dictated by India. The short trunk means there is no room for even a mini spare tire with the location of rear axle back there.

The solution was external spare for everyone... a compromise that made the car less appealing in Europe and some Asian markets.

Gen 1 Ecosport was just as short as current car. So I'm thinking the length was already baked in and simply acceptable to India without change......

Edited by jpd80