2006 Civic - Motor Trend Car of the Year

NickF1011

I think everybody knew the Fusion was out of the game when Motor Trend ranked it below the Accord in their comparison test. Obviously you can't give a car the COTY if you admit you like the competition better.

Once again I point to MT picking the Lincoln LS as their COTY despite losing a comparison test to the BMW 5-series. Its the innovation for the brand that really matters, not so much the success of the vehicle itself.

I will say after some thought I guess the Civic is deserving as much as anything else. It's new for Honda in the sense that they are finally pushing the styling envelope on a bread & butter car, albeit pretty poorly in my opinion.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having just test driven a 5AT sedan LX civic this past week, I can say that it is one nice ride. Compared to an 05 LX (which my wife's cousin just bought 6 months ago) it is a lightyear ahead.

(1) The old civic 4 cyl was a little buzzy and not very quiet. The new one is a smooth as silk and as quiet as a mouse. It was docile even as I dipped deep in the throttle on a interstate on-ramp.

(2) The overall quietness of the car. This civic is as quiet or quieter than most any car I've been in in the last few years. It isolates well from raod noise and engine noise. The aerodynamics are good enough to keep wind noise down around the mirrors, even without thick glass or other tricks like that.

(3) The engine is more powerful than last years, while delivering better economy numbers. 40 mpg on the highway is awesome (though I do realize that the improved aerodynamics are part of the factor there).

(4) Size, while retainig its sportiness to drive (and improving some handling characteristics) and its great fuel economy numbers, they enlarged the car in width to the point that it is as large as mid nineties accords inside.

(5) I find it to be a breakthrough in Honda vehicle styling.

Now, does this deserve COTY priviledges? Well, not in my book, but I can see their reasoning after driving it back to back with its predecesor. The Sonata is the ultimate me-too, but with a good sticket price. The fusion isn't neccessarily better than what's out there right now. Its about as good with a few standout points. The Solstice is a pontiac copy of the Miata. The BMW 3 series is a nice improvement to the older 3 series, but, it isn't as much improved over the old as the 06 civic is. The Lexus IS250/350 would get my nod. Its is a whole world away from its predecessor and has moved firmly in league with its competition and betters it in many ways.

Hacked together from the parts bin? The Solstice was developed on an entirely new architecture (Kappa). Not exactly "parts bin" type stuff there. I will agree that the MX-5 is still a superior vehicle, but the Solstice was something completely radical from an otherwise sedate General Motors. I guess GM can't even buy good press these days though.

No dice... the platform was adapted from the corvette platform, that's why there's no room for the gas tank. the engine is straight from the parts bin, the tranny is from the small truck platform (i believe). Only cosmetic factors are radical about the solstice, everything out of sight is adapted or straight from other vehicles.

So what if the car was built off of a modified platform, who cares?

Do you realize how much it costs to develop new platforms from the ground up? How much it costs to come up with new powertrains? Are we failing to realize that the Solstice/Sky will never reach production volumes large enough to recoup costs (anytime soon....remember GM is bleeding money as is) associated with their developement?

Besides from what I've read it stops, handles, and goes just about as well as a Miata, not bad for a first attempt.

Just because Honda decided to replace engines that were essentially carry overs (who the hell am I kidding they were basically the same damn engines) from a previous gen, and up the ante with a more 'luxurious' interior does not make it anything special whatsoever.

Edited by Michael Reynolds

So what if the car was built off of a modified platform, who cares?

Do you realize how much it costs to develop new platforms from the ground up? How much it costs to come up with new powertrains? Are we failing to realize that the Solstice/Sky will never reach production volumes large enough to recoup costs (anytime soon....remember GM is bleeding money as is) associated with their developement?

Besides from what I've read it stops, handles, and goes just about as well as a Miata, not bad for a first attempt.

Just because Honda decided to replace engines that were essentially carry overs (who the hell am I kidding they were basically the same damn engines) from a previous gen, and up the ante with a more 'luxurious' interior does not make it anything special whatsoever.

Yeah but the Miata, S2000 and Z4 all have their own independently designed platform. Yeah in the context of GM bleeding red it's not surprising they used off the shelf parts... but they still ended up with a car that beats the old miata (but not the new one, which is what matters now). the civic platform is not a carry over, it's a further adaptation of a totally proven design. civics were excellent economy cars 15 years ago, and still are. the solstice has a gas tank for a trunk. the solstice is a good car, but i wouldnt' say it's a car of the year. the civic... well it has a much broader appeal and is a much more realistic alternative (not everyone can afford 2 cars, which if you get a solstice you have to do). the choice of the civic is justifiable among the competition, but the solstice isn't competition.

Yeah but the Miata, S2000 and Z4 all have their own independently designed platform. Yeah in the context of GM bleeding red it's not surprising they used off the shelf parts... but they still ended up with a car that beats the old miata (but not the new one, which is what matters now). the civic platform is not a carry over, it's a further adaptation of a totally proven design. civics were excellent economy cars 15 years ago, and still are. the solstice has a gas tank for a trunk. the solstice is a good car, but i wouldnt' say it's a car of the year. the civic... well it has a much broader appeal and is a much more realistic alternative (not everyone can afford 2 cars, which if you get a solstice you have to do). the choice of the civic is justifiable among the competition, but the solstice isn't competition.

Let me clarify.

I will give Honda credit from learning from the mistakes made when they introduced the all new 2000 Honda Civic (this is what I was refrencing above, not the new 2006 model). The introduction of that vehicle essentially carried over old powertrains from the mid-to-late 90s, with a gutless design. Granted the vehicles sold, they only sold because of the 'H' on the front grille. If you ask me it was a rushed hack job to counter the introduction of the new Ford Focus, just like the Civic Hybrid was rushed in to counter the Prius.

So finally the car gets a few new engines, and a swoopy design which some like and some don't........but what has it done to force it's competition to up the ante. The Mazda 3 still stands head and shoulders above the Civic.

No dice... the platform was adapted from the corvette platform, that's why there's no room for the gas tank. the engine is straight from the parts bin, the tranny is from the small truck platform (i believe). Only cosmetic factors are radical about the solstice, everything out of sight is adapted or straight from other vehicles.

Adapted from the Corvette?? You DO know that the Corvette uses body-on-frame construction right? The Solstice is unit body. They don't share a thing in common. As for sharing engines and transmissions, it would be foolish NOT to in today's automotive world.

Edited by NickF1011

Adapted from the Corvette?? You DO know that the Corvette uses body-on-frame construction right? The Solstice is unit body. They don't share a thing in common. As for sharing engines and transmissions, it would be foolish NOT to in today's automotive world.

Both cars use hydroformed frames:

MSN auto Solstice Review

"The chassis utilizes hydroformed frame rails, which run the full length of the vehicle, combined with additional stampings to form a rigid structure on which body panels are attached. The hydroforming process, which uses water pressure to form the desired shape of the component being created, is typically used in light-duty truck frames for strength and rigidity. Solstice is the only GM car other than the Chevrolet Corvette to use an entirely hydroformed chassis."

Let me clarify.

I will give Honda credit from learning from the mistakes made when they introduced the all new 2000 Honda Civic (this is what I was refrencing above, not the new 2006 model). The introduction of that vehicle essentially carried over old powertrains from the mid-to-late 90s, with a gutless design. Granted the vehicles sold, they only sold because of the 'H' on the front grille. If you ask me it was a rushed hack job to counter the introduction of the new Ford Focus, just like the Civic Hybrid was rushed in to counter the Prius.

So finally the car gets a few new engines, and a swoopy design which some like and some don't........but what has it done to force it's competition to up the ante. The Mazda 3 still stands head and shoulders above the Civic.

The current (2006) civic was a rushed car to counter the new focus? did i hear that correctly? I'll assume i didn't (if i did, let me know, we can discuss the 5 year model cycle honda announced in 2000).

Regarding the Mazda 3, the cars are in close competition but not direct. The mazda 3 has more power in base form, but the civic has much better fuel efficiency, because it's more of an economy car. that's why the 3 has a 2.3L whereas the civic has a 1.8L motor. The mazda 3 is more of an all-around car (with 2 engine choices) whereas the civic is positioned as either an economy car (with base engine) or sporty coupe (Si model with 2.0L motor). Here in Canada, the upscale model of the civic (CSX) has a 160hp engine that would compete directly with the mazda 3 if it weren't for the extra "luxury" features in the car that also bring up the price. It's also worth mentionning a base civic is still cheaper than a base mazda 3, with less power and more fuel efficiency.

I can see how the civic and mazda 3 would be considered competitors in the American market, but here in Canada where there are many more small cars, they aren't direct competition. For people in that market, the mazda 3 offers a much better value in terms of sportiness, whereas the civic emphasizes economy features. If honda really wanted to do up the mazda in terms of engine power (which is the biggest difference between the two cars, the civic is definitely roomier and at least as reliable), they would have simply stuck the base 2L acura rsx engine (which is used in the canadian csx). it's a 5 year old design that is known to be reliable, fuel efficient, and makes 160hp. But that wasn't the goal, hence why the two cars aren't direct competition.

The current (2006) civic was a rushed car to counter the new focus? did i hear that correctly? I'll assume i didn't (if i did, let me know, we can discuss the 5 year model cycle honda announced in 2000).

Regarding the Mazda 3, the cars are in close competition but not direct. The mazda 3 has more power in base form, but the civic has much better fuel efficiency, because it's more of an economy car. that's why the 3 has a 2.3L whereas the civic has a 1.8L motor. The mazda 3 is more of an all-around car (with 2 engine choices) whereas the civic is positioned as either an economy car (with base engine) or sporty coupe (Si model with 2.0L motor). Here in Canada, the upscale model of the civic (CSX) has a 160hp engine that would compete directly with the mazda 3 if it weren't for the extra "luxury" features in the car that also bring up the price. It's also worth mentionning a base civic is still cheaper than a base mazda 3, with less power and more fuel efficiency.

I can see how the civic and mazda 3 would be considered competitors in the American market, but here in Canada where there are many more small cars, they aren't direct competition. For people in that market, the mazda 3 offers a much better value in terms of sportiness, whereas the civic emphasizes economy features. If honda really wanted to do up the mazda in terms of engine power (which is the biggest difference between the two cars, the civic is definitely roomier and at least as reliable), they would have simply stuck the base 2L acura rsx engine (which is used in the canadian csx). it's a 5 year old design that is known to be reliable, fuel efficient, and makes 160hp. But that wasn't the goal, hence why the two cars aren't direct competition.

I'd take a Mazda 3 over a Civic anyday.

No I was refering to the 2000 Civic not the 2006, who in their right mind would think that Honda is remotely concerned with the Focus in its current form. For crying out loud..........

Although I can see your point, with the Canadian vs. American market. In the states an economy car is an economy car, regardless as to how well it accelerates and it's fuel efficency. The Civic, IMO, could be viewed as an appliance from point A to point B.....whereas the 3 something for those that demand a little more than just plain old transportation.

With that said the MT Car of the Year Award is more of a U.S. thing, as they don't use vehicles sold in Canada. Basically screw you cannucks :P

Both cars use hydroformed frames:

MSN auto Solstice Review

"The chassis utilizes hydroformed frame rails, which run the full length of the vehicle, combined with additional stampings to form a rigid structure on which body panels are attached. The hydroforming process, which uses water pressure to form the desired shape of the component being created, is typically used in light-duty truck frames for strength and rigidity. Solstice is the only GM car other than the Chevrolet Corvette to use an entirely hydroformed chassis."

So the supposed next Camaro is going to be body-on-frame? Super. Rumor is, it will utilize the Kappa platform as well.

So there you have it. Motor Trend has named the 2006 Civic its Car of the Year. So much for those hopes for the Fusion.

I want to know WHY the Civic won though? Motor Trend claims that its COTY award goes to a vehicle that best re-defines its segment, creates a new segment, or makes a significant new contribution to a segment. The 2006 Civic really doesn't bring anything new to the table, aside from a butt-ugly front end and an instrument panel only a 16 year old Playstation 2 nut could love.

Any thoughts?

/quote]

My thoughts?? Well I would not allow any foreign car or truck be included in the running - no matter where they were built.

Hmm let's see, the gas crunch of the year really hit hard on all manufacturers, suddenly gas mileage became important to the domestics. The Civic is synonymous with fuel economy and value. You can get a hybrid, you can get a coupe, you can get a sedan, you can even get a sporty model, there's something for everyone. Good work Honda on that, no props on design, the thing is ugly as sin and I wouldn't be caught in it anywhere.

Hmm let's see, the gas crunch of the year really hit hard on all manufacturers, suddenly gas mileage became important to the domestics. The Civic is synonymous with fuel economy and value. You can get a hybrid, you can get a coupe, you can get a sedan, you can even get a sporty model, there's something for everyone. Good work Honda on that, no props on design, the thing is ugly as sin and I wouldn't be caught in it anywhere.

I don't want any Jap or other foreign car or trucks. Let's buy from American Companies. We know the Japs will sell at a loss to break a market segment. Save American Companies.

Edited by Richard Smith

Just read motor trend today.

I have to agree with their opinion on Ford and Gm vehicles such as the Fusion, Cobalt etc.etc.. They always come up with a cool car concept then let the corporate lawyers and beancounters neuter it.what ends up in the show room is like a pitbull with no balls and a whimpy disposition.

Sorry.

:rolleyes:

Just read motor trend today.

I have to agree with their opinion on Ford and Gm vehicles such as the Fusion, Cobalt etc.etc.. They always come up with a cool car concept then let the corporate lawyers and beancounters neuter it.what ends up in the show room is like a pitbull with no balls and a whimpy disposition.

Sorry.

:rolleyes:

Yeah because the new Civic is so awe inspiring :rolleyes:

Yeah because the new Civic is so awe inspiring :rolleyes:

How do you get that I'm supporting the civic? I made no mention of it.......did you read my mind???

Truth is I really dont care for the civic either. But look at the fusion (and sisters) and the GM line up(cobalt, malibu and implala) ........chop off the the front 6 inches and the back 6 inches and you get the same frikin car! Just small, medium and large. There is no flair to any of them. They're just rectagles with tires at the corners. Give me a car with fat fenders, swoopy body lines and kick ass,in yer face taillights and grilles etc.

Then throw and mouse motor in it . Give me a dash that has cool guages where everything is in reach. Give me seats that don't feel like I just fell ass-first onto a flat rock! IS IT REALLY THAT HARD?????? Why do the domestics keep throwing out these bland whimpy cars??? WTF???

I never claimed you mentioned the Civic so simmah down nah, geeez :D

Anyhow the Fusion may be a lot of things, but it's far from bland. The Accord's refresh took a decent looking car and made it ugly, the Sonata reminds me of the outgoing Accord, and the Altima still has that chintzy interior. So compared to the rest of the competition the Fusion doesn't look all that bad (at least from a design perspective).

How do you get that I'm supporting the civic? I made no mention of it.......did you read my mind???

Truth is I really dont care for the civic either. But look at the fusion (and sisters) and the GM line up(cobalt, malibu and implala) ........chop off the the front 6 inches and the back 6 inches and you get the same frikin car! Just small, medium and large. There is no flair to any of them. They're just rectagles with tires at the corners. Give me a car with fat fenders, swoopy body lines and kick ass,in yer face taillights and grilles etc.

Then throw and mouse motor in it . Give me a dash that has cool guages where everything is in reach. Give me seats that don't feel like I just fell ass-first onto a flat rock! IS IT REALLY THAT HARD?????? Why do the domestics keep throwing out these bland whimpy cars??? WTF???

That's because they look at the success of toyota and say "oh, we don't need good looking cars apparently!", forgetting that toyota didn't get where it's at by designing nice cars, but by offering cars that were more reliable than the competition, which people bought for perceived reliability, not appearance.

I never claimed you mentioned the Civic so simmah down nah, geeez :D

Anyhow the Fusion may be a lot of things, but it's far from bland. The Accord's refresh took a decent looking car and made it ugly, the Sonata reminds me of the outgoing Accord, and the Altima still has that chintzy interior. So compared to the rest of the competition the Fusion doesn't look all that bad (at least from a design perspective).

The new Accord was ugly since day one. The new referesh looks like it was stolen from a Grand Prix, like it's the Pontiac Accord or something.