Breaking down the Bolt's powertrain

fuzzymoomoo

The government doesn't operate Utilities. The subsidies For energy efficiency and solar, actually increase the cost per unit because the cost of the maintaining the grid if fixed and independent of production.

Sure they do - water, sewer. But you're right about electric. The rebates come from the utilities not the government. And while the grid cost is fixed at a fixed peak capacity, electrical demand is increasing so electric companies have to increase their peak capacity. Lowering existing demand through energy efficient appliances, insulation and alternative power sources delays or eliminates having to increase peak capacity.

Sure they do - water, sewer. But you're right about electric. The rebates come from the utilities not the government. And while the grid cost is fixed at a fixed peak capacity, electrical demand is increasing so electric companies have to increase their peak capacity. Lowering existing demand through energy efficient appliances, insulation and alternative power sources delays or eliminates having to increase peak capacity.

Rebates are coming directly from the government to the tune of a 30% tax credit. Some utilities also offer rebates as well, but a lot of those have gone by the wayside now.

In that case I don't agree with them.

You should just take advantage of it and put solar panels on your house. :)

Or maybe a geothermal heating/cooling system.

Or maybe you need more efficient windows or more insulation in your home.

I don't agree with them either, but we have taken advantage of it since it's there.

a) Direct quote from the article you linked to: "On average in the United States, at least in major markets, electric cars would offer an improvement on carbon emissions"

b) Going a bit deeper, the Union of Concerned Scientists study they quoted in that article shows that, between 2009 and 2012, coal went from generating 45% of US electricity to 37%. Thanks to cheap natural gas, cheaper and cheaper renewables, and nuclear, the grid is already cleaning up. See all the details here: http://www.ucsusa.org/clean-vehicles/electric-vehicles/life-cycle-ev-emissions#.V9jqiDtLXgk

c) Getting the grid off of fossil fuels and getting transportation off of fossil fuels are two monumental tasks. What about this situation suggests that they need to happen one after the other rather than in parallel?

d) The tiny sample size of posters in this thread suggests that, if you happen to live in a part of the world where your grid isn't clean enough to justify an EV, you can take matters into your own hands and make your own electricity if you care enough about your grandkids and have enough money for a financially sound investment.

• Like 1

Rebates are coming directly from the government to the tune of a 30% tax credit. Some utilities also offer rebates as well, but a lot of those have gone by the wayside now.

Are you leasing or did you finance it? I financed mine because it puts money in my pocket every year to the tune about $800 - $1000. Plus I keep the 30% rebate instead of the solar company (if you lease, they keep it all since they own it) and my state has a $2,500 rebate which they would have got as well.

Should probably PM you so we don't continue to go off topic.

1) is electrical demand increasing?

http://www.eia.gov/todayinenergy/detail.cfm?id=26672

It looks to be more complex questions. residential consumption is declining while industrial and commercial is increasing.

the net effect on the grid is decreased energy intensity, which is good for the grid.

But if you take away all the newer energy efficient appliances and other products that these rebates promote, would it still be decreasing?

Sounds to me like the programs are super effective.

the report says residential Solar has had a huge effect on reducing demand and intensity.