Got $8k sitting around? Buy a Ford/Cosworth Indy engine

Also, free shipping!!

Uh, no...

We will assist in shipping. Buyer pays actual shipping or pickup in southeastern Indiana.

$8,000 really ain't that bad.

But I think I'd rather have the 1965 DOHC Indy V8.

$8,000 for basically a paperweight?? Pass...

Engine does not have rods, pistons, valve train or timing belt components. After Cosworth assembled the engine, they poured epoxy into the block ,heads an upper plenum so nobody would finish assembling it and race it.

I am going to say that came from Firestone (southern Indiana) and they decided to remodel. I bet someone either took it or they sold it cheaply or gave it an employee.

It's cool but unless your going to chip out the epoxy, get rods and pistons and make a race engine it doesn't make sense for 8 grand. Now, for a couple grand I could possibly be talked into a AL block V8 coffee table. I have seen that somewhere were they use the block as a base and they put a glass top on it.

$8,000 really ain't that bad.

But I think I'd rather have the 1965 DOHC Indy V8.

As I remember, at the time Cosworth converted the Formula I DFV engine into a turbo engine for Indy; any Ford involvement was played down. As I recall, the Indy engine was mostly referred to as a Cosworth. I have to agree with mackinaw and would much prefer one the "Fairlane V8" derived Ford Indy engines. Either the earlier pushrod version or the later (and more successful) DOHC version. Sometimes people confuse the Cosworth effort with the earlier Ford program.

Edited by bifs66

As I remember, at the time Cosworth converted the Formula I DFV engine into a turbo engine for Indy; any Ford involvement was played down. As I recall, the Indy engine was mostly referred to as a Cosworth. I have to agree with mackinaw and would much prefer one the "Fairlane V8" derived Ford Indy engines. Either the earlier pushrod version or the later (and more successful) DOHC version. Sometimes people confuse the Cosworth effort with the earlier Ford program.

That was the Cosworth DFX.

And yeah, I think Ford had minimal to no involvement in it.

But this engine is from the 90s, when Ford was again fully involved in Indy.

BTW: It would be difficult, if not impossible, to come up with a racing engine that was as successful as the DFV/X. The thing even won at LeMans!