2007 Ford Mondeo

Is the 2007 Mondeo needed in North America?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. How do you rate the design of the 2007 Mondeo?

• * * * * * A
    • * * * * B
    • * * * C
    • * * D
    • * F

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At this point in history European styling looks better than so called Amercian styling. That's it, case closed. That is why companies like Acura, Honda, Toyota, Hyundai, Mazda, even the new Saturn stuff is based on an admittedly European style. It looks better and it is more appealing. Personally I don't much buy into this European versus American style crap. Europe just happen to come up with a look in cars that looks better than what the Americans came up with. I don't think it was a contest between the two continents. This idea that we should cling to the "distinctive Amercian styling" because it's not European is horseshit. Use the styling that looks the best until us them or someone else comes up with something that looks better and then use that. Who cares where it comes from. If it works, use it.

Well, in all fairness, we would have to include price.

At which point the Mondeo just doesn't look so good.

I find it hard to believe you could get that for $18k and a have a decent profit margin to boot.

You gotta bring up the point that the euro is a worth 1.30 dollars.

If produced here it would cost a little more than the fusion.

we need to find places For great cars on this continent, with a Ford lincoln or mercury badge.

0_1.jpg

0_5.jpg

0_4.jpg

Edited by Biker16

we need to find places For great cars on this continent, with a Ford lincoln or mercury badge.

You've got to walk before you can run.

Ford is basically starting over in the sedan market.

I think, rather than trying to apply what works in Europe to the U.S., Ford needs to investigate what things in its EU parts bin would be salable in the U.S. Would Bluetooth in the Focus sell? Or would Focus buyers say, "If I want to spend $500 on Bluetooth, I'll buy a Fusion instead?" You can't assume markets for stuff exist, just because it's cool, and it's not widely available here.

Case in point: Navigation systems.

Price no object, navigational systems were the number one most desired option among surveyed consumers.

Factoring in price, navigation dropped to 12th place.

(Read that last night--don't know where--might've been a JD Power survey)

So, what do you do?

How many options do you offer just because it will draw people in, that will settle for less lavishly equipped vehicles? This is one area, where I think Ford could do better--they don't generally have "WOW" trim levels.

It's a complicated question. I don't think it has an easy answer, such as "Bring over the Mondeo", or "Spend more on the Fusion" or "The Fusion is a piece of crap"

You've got to walk before you can run.

Ford is basically starting over in the sedan market.

I think, rather than trying to apply what works in Europe to the U.S., Ford needs to investigate what things in its EU parts bin would be salable in the U.S. Would Bluetooth in the Focus sell? Or would Focus buyers say, "If I want to spend $500 on Bluetooth, I'll buy a Fusion instead?" You can't assume markets for stuff exist, just because it's cool, and it's not widely available here.

Case in point: Navigation systems.

Price no object, navigational systems were the number one most desired option among surveyed consumers.

Factoring in price, navigation dropped to 12th place.

(Read that last night--don't know where--might've been a JD Power survey)

So, what do you do?

How many options do you offer just because it will draw people in, that will settle for less lavishly equipped vehicles? This is one area, where I think Ford could do better--they don't generally have "WOW" trim levels.

It's a complicated question. I don't think it has an easy answer, such as "Bring over the Mondeo", or "Spend more on the Fusion" or "The Fusion is a piece of crap"

but the customers that do really want Navagation systems will pay for them , and it is those assesoies that add alot of profit to marginally profitable car.

I am tired of waiting For Ford to get their hed out of thier ass.

No B-car til 2009 no new focus until 2010 no ew ranger until 2010 WTF, no more waiting. we need pople that can get the job done. not cowards that only want to maintain their position.

The shape obviously is more conventional than the street rocket Iosis concept, but I think this is a sexy looking sedan. The detailing really pulls it off.

Does this look better than a Fusion, I would say so. It also looks more expensive and luxurious, like an Audi or a Lexus. I'm sure it is priced accordingly so you have to see what the cheap model will look like before you pass final judgement. The cheap Mondeo never looked attractive to me while the Fusion is still very passable when stripped down. The interior design is where the Europe Mondeo is likely to excel, while the Fusion interior is fairly mediocre no matter how well equiped it is.

The new Mondeo looks like a car that went through an extensive engineering process, the design is very well crafted. The NA sedans on the other hand look like they made very little effort to be original so I always get the feeling that Ford is lifting everything it learned from other manufacturers rather than leading the segment. In Europe, Ford leads every segment they compete in...while Ford only leads in trucks in NA.

Edited by Edgey

0_1.jpg

0_5.jpg

0_4.jpg

The design is absolutely stunning, I realized it wouldn't be feasible to bring the vehicle over but if they used its design cues for the focus reskin I think it would be great. I think this is the best looking mid-size car on the road, though it is a little smaller than true mid-size. Kudos to Ford, unfortunately they are making me want to move to europe with all their fantastic vehicles over thier.

It really upsets me that Ford Europe can make a car that is that good looking for Europe but we can't get anything that nice here. That's a great looking car. If they wrapped that sheetmetal around the Fusion they'd sell like crazy.

It really upsets me that Ford Europe can make a car that is that good looking for Europe but we can't get anything that nice here. That's a great looking car. If they wrapped that sheetmetal around the Fusion they'd sell like crazy.

unfortunately- imposible - Mondeo has completely different structure underneath - thay share very little architectually ...

they either have to import the whole thing, or wait for next generation when Fusion and the Mendeo will share platform

also - I do not think mom and pop Jones in North Dakota would go for this styling - Ford still needs to keep in mind the whole market - not just hte coasts .. that is why I think this should be a Mercury - not Ford - Ford needs to be styled more ... American - in sedans even boring.

Igor

I don't know how it is in your neck of the woods, but around here I see plenty of moms and pops driving Acura TL's, Toyota Avalons, and Lexus cars. Their sytling is easily on par with this sort of car. I'm certainly no where near the coats either. Keep the 500 if you just have to have a "boring" car, god knows it fits the bill. I don't think it would be that tuff to reshape the sheetmetal around the Fusion to look a lot like this car. I'm not talking a driect transplant you see. Just the style, the design. Look how many different body styles of Mustang they mounted on a Fairmont platform. It surely can be done.

HOW THE FUCK DO YOU THINK A FOCUS BUYER FEELS?

ford should be able to sell both the european Mondeo and the more conventional Fusion.

as two midsized cars focused on two segments of the midsized market.

fusion american and bold styling.

fights in the lower midsize market

mondeo European, refined, and powerful.

Only offer the mondeo with the 300hp and AWD turbo. leather GPS, bluetooth, etc

Cause that worked so well with the Taurus and Scorpio, right?

LOL, Always with you what can not be done young skywalker. lol

Always with the negative vibes moriarty! Always with the negative vibes.

"ford should be able to sell both the european Mondeo and the more conventional Fusion. "

Mondeos are overrated. Why don't they just pour more $$ down the toilet, that would maybe be more profitable. [sorry ma'am, you new Mondeo has to stay in the shop til we get the parts, from Belguim!] or [We have to tow your car to NYC, since none of our techs are trained on Mondeos, sir]

An imported, overpriced [have to pay the Euro worker unions and shipping, and I bet the inside is still cramped] Ford "should" sell since it is Euro? While in the same showroom, they can sticker a Fusion for less.

I will take a base Fusion over a loaded Mondeo, anyday. Don't care if it has blue tooth or made by Belgian nuns. It is over priced, and oh who really cares???

Sales person "This car is European, it is worth $30-35K". Shopper, "LOL I can get an Acura/Infiniti/Lexus/...for that"

Reality is Euro Ford is going to have to cut expensive plants also. So, eventually, Mondeos will probably be made in Turkey, or just rebage Fusions from Mexico. So, this dream of "Ford SHOULD sell both.." is moot.

But, at least you get your C2 in 2010.

Edited by 630land

"ford should be able to sell both the european Mondeo and the more conventional Fusion. "

Mondeos are overrated. Why don't they just pour more $$ down the toilet, that would maybe be more profitable. [sorry ma'am, you new Mondeo has to stay in the shop til we get the parts, from Belguim!] or [We have to tow your car to NYC, since none of our techs are trained on Mondeos, sir]

An imported, overpriced [have to pay the Euro worker unions and shipping, and I bet the inside is still cramped] Ford "should" sell since it is Euro? While in the same showroom, they can sticker a Fusion for less.

I will take a base Fusion over a loaded Mondeo, anyday. Don't care if it has blue tooth or made by Belgian nuns. It is over priced, and oh who really cares???

Sales person "This car is European, it is worth $30-35K". Shopper, "LOL I can get an Acura/Infiniti/Lexus/...for that"

Reality is Euro Ford is going to have to cut expensive plants also. So, eventually, Mondeos will probably be made in Turkey, or just rebage Fusions from Mexico. So, this dream of "Ford SHOULD sell both.." is moot.

:blah: :blah: :blah:

Why are you even here?

Like I've said before, if you ran Ford they'd have gone out of business long ago..

You'd have everybody driving around in Pintos because who needs anythingf more than that right??

Edited by Blueblood

Cough, Ford Countor, cough... You people and your 'small' cars honestly, your AWD, and your silly turbos. Nothing beats 300+ hp V8 RWD for a sedan.

Ture but why can't we have both?

Your are not a well informed person, FYI most of our Focus's parts are imported, almost every part order is stampe made in UK or made in portugal. do we have problems with Focus parts? no.

Who said it would be imported? becuase it really doesn't need to be, build it onl the smae line as the Focus or Escape as it was designed to be.

Voilvo is losing money shipping cars from europe, ti would be wise to begin to produce volvos and other EUCD models in lower cost N.A.

yes, but what about the 300million other buyers that may care?

The acura TSX is a European honda accord, with an Acura badge, and yes the current mondo kicks it's ass, the new one will do the same, thats what your "salesperson" should say, this is better than "Acura/Infiniti/Lexus" because it is a drivers car.

FYI ford of europe plants ar working at 105-110% capasity there won't be any such cutting of plants there.

BTW the Focus is te best selling car in europe and the world. Bitch.

Edited by Biker16

Hey, never called you names, sir. Keep dreaming of the US joining the EU, and $6 a gallon gas. And government issued Focuses like the old East German Trabants.

No hard feelings here, it is pure comedy to read all the 'if only' messages. Laughable to suggest Ford should bring over expensive Euro cars, which would bomb, bomb, bomb. The sliver of Euro Ford fans would not be enough. Even die hard Contour SVT fans wouldn't bother.

Also, smart buyers will spend $29K on something other than a Euro fleet car {Why don't they just call it LeTaurus?} with a tiny back seat.

300million other buyers that may care??? HUH??? This is the funniest ever!! Got to get out of Dearborn, Detroit, Toledo, Cleveland, or whatever insular midwest town you are in. The rest of the US could not care one iota about Europen Fords!!!

So many think simply that 'Euro handling' is what will 'save Ford'. When in fact, most people couldn't give two shits, they want their car to start every day, ride nice, have good pick up, look good, and not cost a shitload of $$ to fix. These are the 90% of peopel who don't obsess about 'car purity'. Also, when people want a Euro car, they will get BMW, and no big sales campaign will convince otherwise.

Edited by 630land

No vehicle should be federalized on the strength of an argument as tenuous as "it's way better than the (fill in the blank)"

This country is not sufficiently similar to the EU to justify assumptions regarding the appeal of an EU spec product.

Any decision would have to weigh an estimate of the demand for a vehicle that was not, in any way, designed or engineered with feedback from this market.

I don't think that this point can be sufficiently emphasized (especially in this debate): no marketing studies were done, regarding the Mondeo, in the U.S. Standard and optional equipment, ride, handling, interior equipment, style, price, none of these things have been evaluated with potential U.S. customers.

It would be bad business to simply assume that the Mondeo would sell here.