Showing The 2008 Five Hundred & Montego Interior

FStephenMasek

Although I have an Edge on order, I really would prefer a sedan, preferably one with an elevated seating position, and the cargo space of the Five Hundred and Montego is even better for my needs that that in a CUV / SUV. The combination of no telescoping steering wheel and the over-sized boxy console makes it impossible for me to sit comfortably in the current versions, the current interior is cheaply finished, and the current engine and CVT are far too noisy.

We all know that the 2008 models coming out in early 2007 will be shown at the Detroit show, and will have the new 3.5 V6 and GM-Ford 6-speed automatic, and will have enhanced front and rear exterior styling. What about the interior? Bill Ford has mentioned something about a revised interior, but why haven't any photos been taken of the new interior, if there is one?

In fact, why is Ford waiting? All of the vehicles which might compete with the Five Hundred are already on the market, or are so close to being on sale that photos and detailed specifications have been published. The only exception is the next Accord, although plenty of people would dispute that it and the Five Hundred / Montego compete. Therefore, what has Ford got to loose by ending the secrecy about the revised Five Hundred and Montego?

The sales of the current models will not decrease, but Ford stands a good chance of causing people to delay purchases of vehicles if they have all of the information on the revised Five Hundred and Montego. Why not release photos, specifications, and show the new versions in Anaheim? If they are not finished by now, Ford is in far greater trouble than any of us imagined.

Edited by FStephenMasek

The sales of the current models will not decrease, but Ford stands a good chance of causing people to delay purchases of vehicles if they have all of the information on the revised Five Hundred and Montego. Why not release photos, specifications, and show the new versions in Anaheim? If they are not finished by now, Ford is in far greater trouble than any of us imagined.

Well, actually, that's the reason you don't want to show a product too early...people go to a dealer to look for it and don't find it...then they go buy something else. I expect the 500 & Montego & Freestyle to be shown at Detroit, but with the coming rollout of Escape, Focus, & D3s it may happen elsewhere. Perhaps Escape at LA, Focus at Detroit, and D3 at Chicago? Not sure. There's a chance the D3s may show at LA, but with the Escape & Focus on sale BEFORE the D3s, I think they'll be shown last.

And I wouldn't worry, I'm sure the design is done and ready to go.

Although I have an Edge on order, I really would prefer a sedan, preferably one with an elevated seating position, and the cargo space of the Five Hundred and Montego is even better for my needs that that in a CUV / SUV. The combination of no telescoping steering wheel and the over-sized boxy console makes it impossible for me to sit comfortably in the current versions, the current interior is cheaply finished, and the current engine and CVT are far too noisy.

From what I understand, the interior is to be redone, but I think it will be a "facelift" and not fundamentally alter the structure. What I mean is that I doubt the size of the console will be changed and I doubt the steering column will be changed. I haven't found a problem with the center console but I definetely agree the D3s need a telescopic steering column. At least you can get power pedals to help offset it a bit.

I know it's not the answer you'd like to hear, but I'm afraid it is what will happen.

Look at it this way, the Edge is nice, the upcoming 500 & Freestyle will be nice. Whichever way you go you'll have a good car.

Scott

most automakers do not release the info this soon - especially on facelifts ....

look at the 07 Maxima .. we learned of the details in June, it was released in August ...

etc..

All automakers worry about people delaying sales - if they know something much better is around the corner, the only way they would buy the old version is with HUGE incentives ... so automakers try to keep buyers in the dark - untill the last moment.

I know it sucks, but that is how it is .. and to be precise - Ford has not released any pics of the Five Hundred exterior - it is just easier to catch to spy photogtaphers, than interior - and we have yet to see a mule of the updated Freestyle, or a decent picture of a full mule of the Focus.

The only well documented of the upcoming updates are the Escape triplets and the Super Duty - the other 2 releases: D3 triplets and Focus have much less complete coverage.

Igor

Edited by igor

I finally sat in a 2007 500 today. It was an SEL with cloth seats. I did not think it was cheap inside at all. I loved the cloth seats, and the layout of everything. I am 6' and 200 #'s and was comfortable in the drivers seat. I like its looks and the way it felt. I need to drive one, but didn't have time at lunch. What I did not like is all they had was high end models SEL's and Limited's. I think I read they do not offer the SE anymore, but I am not sure, but the SEL I looked at was $25 or $26 not $23 like I need.

Edited by markfnc

What I did not ike is all they had was high end models SEL's and Limited's. I think I read they do not offerthe SE anymore, but I am not sure, but the SEL I looked at was $25 or $26 not $23 like I need.

The SE is gone for 2007 to create a better differentiation between the Fusion & Five Hundred. The good thing is if you need $23K, you could buy a holdover 2006 model with the $2006 "bonus" cash offer. You could also search the web for a 2006 SE model.

The 2008 will hopefully be nicer. The fundamentals of the 500 are quite solid, it really only needs detail changes (along with the new motor) to bring it up to class standards. But until then, it is still a nice car and an EXCELLENT deal.

Scott

The SE is gone for 2007 to create a better differentiation between the Fusion & Five Hundred. The good thing is if you need $23K, you could buy a holdover 2006 model with the $2006 "bonus" cash offer. You could also search the web for a 2006 SE model.

The 2008 will hopefully be nicer. The fundamentals of the 500 are quite solid, it really only needs detail changes (along with the new motor) to bring it up to class standards. But until then, it is still a nice car and an EXCELLENT deal.

Scott

the baseline 2007 SEL is around 23k, i was looking at one before i got my fusion.

the baseline 2007 SEL is around 23k, i was looking at one before i got my fusion.

Sure enough, ford.com says $23,420. Including the $1000 cash on the '07 I built a nice SEL with cloth/6CD changer/reverse sensor/power seat for just over $24,000. That's an incredible deal.

As long as you don't mind the 3.0L. And it's not terrible...just not great.

Scott

I got a friend to buy a 500 last year...she thanks me about once a week still.

Big, comfy, gets 25+ mpg in mixed use, nudges 30 highway...and has done nothing but be exactly what she wanted.

That pretty much describes my '05 Montego, and I get those MPG numbers with all wheel drive. Great cars. This Montego is the nicest car I've ever owned.

• 2 weeks later...

As i have said on this forum before...We really like our Montego...just like it is. I don't really understand the critisism. And we have other nice cars, so it's not like we don't drive competing Japanese V6's. I especially don't understand the complaints about engine roughness harshness etc. Ours is very smooth.

If you live where it is very hilly, you will like some more tq, but we live in Florida, so we don't need more power. However part of the engine complaint is our auto culture...we're accustomed to engines so powerful we want them to pull hills in top gear etc...we are not accustomed to letting transmissions do the work and using small engies for economy. My brother with an almost new Infinity Q45 is amazed by our car for the price.