Flint: Ford Giving Up On The Ranger ?

There was some 'know it all' on here back during that hysteria, who swore up and down that the Explorer SUV design itself shredded tires and 'Ford knew'. Also claimed that all Generation 1 Ex's were 'going to be recalled, no doubt'.

It was kind of like the Audi 5000's that 'suddenly accelerated', even with foot firmy on brakes! LOLOLOL

Yeah sorta kidding. But still why such secrecy? Why can't they at least say if they are commited to compact pickups or not? Ford is at least saying 'we are working on new B class cars' and they made sure everyone knows the next gen F150 is for 2009, why not anything else?

Ford wont get any respect until present a plan and then excecute that plan.

Flint is right in his article about the stupidity of Ford abandoning the compact pickup market, but he's about three to five years late in his criticism. Even if Ford kicked off a Ranger program today, there would probably be nothing left of the nameplate by the time the new product hit the marketplace in a few years.

I see three options for the next Ranger:

1. Cheap, lightweight, efficient. Four cylinders & diesels, Mazda B-Series/Thai Ranger base. This makes sense if fuel stays high. And it gives Ford a "B-Market" truck, which could be used to attract younger buyers.

2. "Deluxe-ify" the Ranger, using Explorer chassis, the Ranger essentially becomes the Sport Trac but with more body configurations.

3. Car-base replacement like the Ridgeline & Ranchero. A unique hybrid of styles that keeps the price low enough but cedes the "utility" to F-150s.

I would think a cheap, lightweight truck could be the best alternative. There is already a chassis to use, Mazda B-Series/Thai Ranger, and the market is really lacking a low-end pickup (Seeing that the sticker on a decent Ranger is nearly $25K these days.) Marketed towards young people with a large range of customizable options would make it a uniquely American Scion-like business proposition.

Scott

I think #2 is the best choice.

Way I see it, part of the fall off in compact trucks is they're no longer compatible with the youth market as a whole. I think the ability to haul 4 is becoming more and more important for first time buyers, and if Ford provides a crewcab offering that starts under $20k, with an economical 4 banger, manual transmission, and a washout interior----------- it'll be Katie bar the door.

Might not be able to do that with the Explorer chassis.

But I think that if you can hit that sweet spot, the rest of the Ranger lineup will take care of itself

Edited by RichardJensen

I think a Ranger with a cheap economical base model is absoutely necessary. The current Ranger offers this, but needs updating. A current 4 WD SC can sticker for over $25K easily putting into F-150 territory.

The Explorer platform is a good idea, but it may end up heavy and have poor performance and economy like the bloated F-150. I don't think it needs a V-8. The Volvo inline engine would be a nice option along with the I4 Mazda and a Diesel.

Edited by Blue II

Now maybe the bean counters will not drive PD. This has to be the biggest problem along with marketing.

I can't wait until our new CEO drives one home for the day (hopefully for closer to a week!)

he'll realize they let a great product rot on the vine and it's about to die. totally absurd, and most of us have been saying it for years. but it's not too late to come up with a new plan, they've just been GIVING this segment away for at least 2-3 years and the sales reflect it just b/c they're too lazy to do anything about it.

something tells me this won't fly forever

Way I see it, part of the fall off in compact trucks is they're no longer compatible with the youth market as a whole. I think the ability to haul 4 is becoming more and more important for first time buyers, and if Ford provides a crewcab offering that starts under $20k, with an economical 4 banger, manual transmission, and a washout interior----------- it'll be Katie bar the door.

Might not be able to do that with the Explorer chassis.

But I think that if you can hit that sweet spot, the rest of the Ranger lineup will take care of itself

Agree, except I think the Explorer chassis would put the Ranger solidly into the over-$20K bracket. The Mazda chassis seems to work however. If there is a redesign scheduled for 2010-ish, it's time for Ford NA to jump-in and add a bit to the design so it will slot into the American market. I think a crew cab off of the Mazda chassis would fill the niche.

I remember the 2001 Nissan Frontier Crew Cab, which had a horribly small backseat, had good street cred just because of the rear doors and that it could seat five. Not comfortably, mind you, but it good if need be. I think that would be a great place to park the Ranger.

Blue II - agree, and when prices get into F-150 range I think you need something unique to draw buyers vs. a fullsize pickup. The Ranger doesn't have it. The Ridgeline, like it or not, is different. Since I don't think the Ridgeline-like concept is good, I say go downmarket with a cheapy model. I don't think the Volvo 5-cyl is cheap enough, however. Plus, I think the Colorado/Canyon is a case for having at least SIX cylinders available. But a growth of the MZR 4cyl to, say, 2.7L? At least 2.5L. Plus a diesel, and a V6 option to round out the line. Very nice.

Scott