Is Ford doing anything for 2015 Mustang owners with the hood corrosion issue?

This has been an issue on Mustangs since 2005 and I was hoping it had been solved. I have owned over 20 Mustangs from a 1969 Mach 1 428 scj to my current 2015 GT. I am hoping that they are doing something for us owners of 2015 because I know just repainting it will not solve the problem as it's corroded thru the back side. 

36 minutes ago, Dsblk93gt said:

This has been an issue on Mustangs since 2005 and I was hoping it had been solved. I have owned over 20 Mustangs from a 1969 Mach 1 428 scj to my current 2015 GT. I am hoping that they are doing something for us owners of 2015 because I know just repainting it will not solve the problem as it's corroded thru the back side. 

This is where Ford needs to do better....out of warranty problems. I know they offered extended warranties on Focus/Fiesta trans which was good start. Obvious defects like above should be covered out of warranty. In fact, power train and body paint warranties should be extended to compete with Hyundai/Kia. 

• Like 1

I also own a 2019 F150, I've owned more Ford's than I can count. If I end up having to pay out of pocket to fix my hood it's going to leave a sour taste for sure. I guess they are being replaced entirely since if you try repairing it, it comes back again. 

Same issue with the 11+ 5th gen explorers..  the aluminum is contaminated from the factory and the paint flakes.  No way to fix it without replacing the hood and prepping the new one properly.

Ford started a 5yr unlimited mile warranty on the aluminum for 2016+ Explorers and told the 11-15 owners to pound sand.

5 minutes ago, blwnsmoke said:

Same issue with the 11+ 5th gen explorers..  the aluminum is contaminated from the factory and the paint flakes.  No way to fix it without replacing the hood and prepping the new one properly.

The stamping plant or the factory where they are built?

Just as an FYI-I had a front end collision with my 2006 Mustang GT about a year and half after I got it-$15K later and a month and half later I get it back.

The replacement hood still had some bubbling under it in the front (where was typically found on non-damaged cars) after 10 years, so I'm thinking its a stamping plant issues, not factory. 

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

The stamping plant or the factory where they are built?

Just as an FYI-I had a front end collision with my 2006 Mustang GT about a year and half after I got it-$15K later and a month and half later I get it back.

The replacement hood still had some bubbling under it in the front (where was typically found on non-damaged cars) after 10 years, so I'm thinking its a stamping plant issues, not factory. 

Not an expert but I believe at the factory.  Hoods get contaminated and not prepped properly for paint.  My 2011 had bubbling under the lip but never made its way to the edge.

I have seen way too many Exprer owners need hood replacements and many many people get screwed by Ford on this.  Really no different then the mustangs and rear liftgates of the Expeditions and Navigators.

It is a real shame frankly..

1 hour ago, blwnsmoke said:

Not an expert but I believe at the factory. 

If I got a replacement Hood, it would have never made it to the factory-it would have been shipped directly from the stamping factory (at least that what I would assume would happen), and still had bubbling issues-never bothered me because it never rotted through and the car was 12+ years at that point. 

Has this been an issue on Fords for a while? I had a 2001 Mustang that was involved in a front end accident. The body shop I took the vehicle to sent back 4 hoods because of glue that hadn't dried. The owner of the body shop would inspect the hood and said the glue had the consistency of snot. He was getting ready to invite me to the shop and have a look at aftermarket hoods. He finally received a good hood about a month after getting my car. 

10 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

If I got a replacement Hood, it would have never made it to the factory-it would have been shipped directly from the stamping factory (at least that what I would assume would happen), and still had bubbling issues-never bothered me because it never rotted through and the car was 12+ years at that point. 

Small blurb from Fordauthority.com.  this is the explorer but my guess is same exact issue with all of them.

The Ford Explorer corroding hood issue stems from iron contamination of the aluminum panel prior to the application of paint during production. Over time, the iron particles move into the aluminum body part, causing it to corrode.

As highlighted in a recent report from Car Complaints, Ford has already created several technical service bulletins (TSB) on the issue. The first was in 2004, followed by a second in 2006 and a third in 2016. A fourth TSB was issued in February of 2019 that recommended outright panel replacement.

12 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

The previous owner of my 2012 put that plastic sheet on the hood and front fenders that is supposed to stop road debris from chipping the paint and that made it much worse. It looks like it did go all the way through. If I removed the plastic coating, a part of the hood would disintegrate and come off.