New 2008 Ford Escape - Job 1 Date

range

Why would you want to? I bought mine, love it, and you know what? Gas be dammed, when it's time to replace, I'll buy another one. The Liberty is about the same size as the Escape. When we Go places as a family, guess which vehicle we take?

I didn't say you would want to. I haven't been secretly conducting a survey on your life. I don't care who you are and what you think.

Many people who want an SUV for their semiannual camping trip, would be better off renting it for a weekend than a) purchasing a much more expensive vehicle and B) spending all that money on gas.

Since Job 1 is Jan 2, 2007 when will it be shown?

Unfortunately according to preliminary info I've seen, powertrain remains exactly the same only that you can't get a manual 4x4 with the 2.3 anymore...bummero IMO. With that Ford has not SUVs with 4x4 and manual transmission produced in NA....

The Escape or the Mariner(more likey) will show up in Miami on Friday -- and the other one in L.A. in early Nov.

The Escape or the Mariner(more likey) will show up in Miami on Friday -- and the other one in L.A. in early Nov.

Miami has an auto show?

Apparently so:

http://www.sfliautoshow.com/index.html

Ford has a press conference scheduled at 10:15am Friday morning at the Ford display (not the Mercury display, assuming they are different areas.) No word on what will be talked about, could be a "hybrids are swell, we're gonna build some" kind of talk, could be an actual debut. Could just be a "hey look at our already debuted Edge! It's swell!" or maybe another special edition Mustang. It just seems like an out-of-the-blue place to launch a bread-and-butter small, cheap SUV.

I would expect both the Mariner & Escape to show in LA, but I guess we'll have a better idea after Friday.

Scott

Ford has been pursuing the Hispanic market, and I believe that's one of the reasons why you're seeing the Escape/Mariner launched in LA and Miami.

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=23356

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=23350

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=23914

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=23035

I think it's a pretty smart idea. Do a new product launch where your customers are, not necessarily where the mainstream media's at. They'll get the press kits online anyway.

Ford launched the Expy in Houston. Another smart move: lots of local press coverage for a new model launch, right in the heart of big truck country.

The new Expedition would've gotten much less ink in Chicago or New York.

Ford has been pursuing the Hispanic market, and I believe that's one of the reasons why you're seeing the Escape/Mariner launched in LA and Miami.

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=23356

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=23350

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=23914

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=23035

I think it's a pretty smart idea. Do a new product launch where your customers are, not necessarily where the mainstream media's at. They'll get the press kits online anyway.

Ford launched the Expy in Houston. Another smart move: lots of local press coverage for a new model launch, right in the heart of big truck country.

The new Expedition would've gotten much less ink in Chicago or New York.

I would agree that Miami is a good Forum to launch the Escape. Ford's sales had been slipping in the region and giving "importance" to Miami with a launch plus a product that at least during my visits to Miami, seem to sell well there is a good idea IMHO.

Also, the Miami autoshow has been growing over the past years.

Well, I'll say it's a bold move, launching a volume product away from the automotive press. I just wonder how much attention a splashy launch garners at local auto shows. Despite their sales trend, Subaru hasn't launched a car (to my knowledge, anyway) at the Burlington, VT auto show or the Portland, OR auto show.

And the targeting is correct. If I have to hear the latin-infused "Ride it like a Ford" ad one more time, I'm afraid I'll never be "riding a Ford" again. That ad is very annoying. I wonder how successful the results are from community-targeted ad campaigns. It's definetely a new trend and I have to say it makes sense, I wonder what the results are for the companies with unique, targeted ads.

Scott

Well, I'll say it's a bold move, launching a volume product away from the automotive press.

What does the automotive press care anyway? And how much does the physical presence of a reporter actually lend to the coverage of a new model: all they get are crappy photos of the display stand vehicle, and a paragraph of rehashed press release.

This way, all they'll have are the crappy Ford publicity shots, and a paragraph of canned Ford description.

Sarcasm isn't directed at you, it's directed at the automotive media, who as a group are somewhere south of restroom attendants on the scale of contributions to the world at large. At auto shows they have a remarkable ability to consume vast quantities of corporate hospitality (where it's offered) then crap out the smallest of journalistic turds.

Money spent trying to please them is money thrown away.

Edited by RichardJensen

I just hope that they've paid real attention to the powertrain, or the media will have a field day with "yet another rehashed Ford stuck with the 3.0, giving up power and economy to competitors".

And they'd be right...I hate it when they're right.

A engineer I know told me its to get the 3.5.... I guess we will know soon enough.

What does the automotive press care anyway? And how much does the physical presence of a reporter actually lend to the coverage of a new model: all they get are crappy photos of the display stand vehicle, and a paragraph of rehashed press release.

The way I see it is any press is better than no press. And I wonder if the Escape/Mariner will get any press in Miami. I don't know. The Expedition didn't get much attention at its launch, but then you have a point: is little, but exclusive, coverage better than being lumped into "auto show coverage" with 40 other concepts & debuts? It could very well be true.

The one issue I see is the Edge/MKX launching will absorb a lot of Ford's focus. Would showing the Escape/Mariner take focus away from the Edge? That would be bad...but with next year's rollout of so many new products perhaps inevitable.

It's interesting. And I again say it is a bold move. I'm half tempted to drive down this weekend...but I really do hate Miami. And I really don't need another 400 miles on the odometer. I guess I'll just wait and see it in Detroit in January.

And as far as 3.0 or 3.5 - I really do hope it is 3.5, and I think it will be. With production being ramped up on the 3.5 more quickly than originally planned, I fully expect the 3.5 to show up in the E/M/T products. I expect to see the 3.0 gone after 2008 when the F/M/Z switch to the 3.5. Only Jaguar would still use the 3.0 in the X-Type...but I doubt that'll keep a production line open.

Scott

The Expy got about the same coverage at launch as it would've at the show. A few column inches in Auto News, and press stills.

It's not like, if the press are there, they get to drive it, etc. And most of them climb over so many vehicles and take such crappy notes, that they end up reformatting the press release right before the hit up the hospitality suite for more booze.

Th 08 Escape get new sheetmteal, new chassis tuning and new interior. The ones complaining are just hobbists who expect 1950's radical style changes, not realisitic customers.

And before going on about how the RAV4 has a 3rd seat, it is pretty much useless for anyone over 8 years old.

• 3 weeks later...
Th 08 Escape get new sheetmteal, new chassis tuning and new interior. The ones complaining are just hobbists who expect 1950's radical style changes, not realisitic customers.

While technically the sheetmetal is new, it doesn't look all that different to me, and I expect, to most realistic customers. IMHO it was a waste of money for Ford to have ended up with something that isn't obviously different. In other words, if Ford needs to tell prospective buyers that the sheetmetal is new because they can't tell it for themselves, Ford missed the mark.

I think the jury is still out about the interior's new "center stack".

I think the Nitro has a heck of a lot better appeal than the redesigned Escape. Ford did cheap out again by not restyling the exterior enough to differentiate it from the 1999 model.

When sitting next to each other the 2008 Escape is quite different from the current model. Take a look at this link: http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/11/02/spi...pe-undisguised/