Guy asked me how much I'm selling my new truck for?

Today at work one of the building maintenance guys asked me how much I am asking for my new truck?

I was stunned and told him I ordered it, still waiting on it and am not selling it. Why would I sell a truck that I have been waiting on since spring?

He said that that's what people are doing. Ordering truck and when they come in reselling them for 10k more than what they bought them for, new truck sold as used with less than 100 miles on them.

Now this makes sense and I see it as plausible. A dealer called me up 2 weeks ago and told me he just got a f350 short bed srw 7.3 4x4 crew XL in, I said not interested but asked the price....55,000 (plus tax tag title destination ect ect), so about 57 in the end....

Out the door price on x plan for me on a xlt 7.3 srw 4x4 crew long bed, camper/snowplow, 5th wheel and more is 52k after all fees.

I could see someone paying 58 or 60 or 62 for that (? not my cheap arse) but someone out there wanting a truck bad enough that needs one.

Anyone else heard of this happening as a trend? If so what are dealers factory doing to counter it?

A few guys do it not a big deal but if every 5th truck made is going straight to resellers then they are hurting the market.

I can easily see this happening. A dealer near me has a 2022 reg cab 4x4 with zero options....they have a $7500 market adjustment on it and are asking nearly 50k for a 42k truck.  I'm not selling mine, as I'll have waited nearly 6 months, but I had thought of ordering another one to resell.  If I'd be lucky enough to get scheduled right away, problem is sales tax would take half of the profits so it wouldn't be worth the hassle to me. 

We all see them asking a 10k premium, but I bet in reality they are actually getting about half that on average.  Especially as more people do it, the number of customers willing to pay a premium will decrease, and by the time the extra truck comes 6 months later, you'll have missed the best markups I think.

Edited by Kory04

14 hours ago, IUEC135ELEVATOR said:

Today at work one of the building maintenance guys asked me how much I am asking for my new truck?

I was stunned and told him I ordered it, still waiting on it and am not selling it. Why would I sell a truck that I have been waiting on since spring?

He said that that's what people are doing. Ordering truck and when they come in reselling them for 10k more than what they bought them for, new truck sold as used with less than 100 miles on them.

Now this makes sense and I see it as plausible. A dealer called me up 2 weeks ago and told me he just got a f350 short bed srw 7.3 4x4 crew XL in, I said not interested but asked the price....55,000 (plus tax tag title destination ect ect), so about 57 in the end....

Out the door price on x plan for me on a xlt 7.3 srw 4x4 crew long bed, camper/snowplow, 5th wheel and more is 52k after all fees.

I could see someone paying 58 or 60 or 62 for that (? not my cheap arse) but someone out there wanting a truck bad enough that needs one.

Anyone else heard of this happening as a trend? If so what are dealers factory doing to counter it?

A few guys do it not a big deal but if every 5th truck made is going straight to resellers then they are hurting the market.

Prices of trucks are coming down pretty fast...someone orders now, they will probably get hung out to dry. Also, the Xplan requires you to own the truck for 6 months. I don't know how they enforce that, but I wouldn't personally take a chance.

I sold a  2017 F350 Lariat CC with 20K miles at the end of June. The truck was spotless and the original MSRP was $74,900. I started out asking $79,800 and it took about a month and half to sale and I ending up getting $76K for it. The KBB middle private party value was right around $78K at that time. At first, I thought I sold it to low, but my dealer advised me to move the truck by July 4th and to ask $78K for it, because he was seeing that prices were coming down. He probably knew that the 2021's that had been sitting were about to ship. The KBB value has dropped to around $73,500 today so I think I sold just in time on this one.

Now I am getting ready to sell a 2019 F350 STX CC with 20K miles, also spotless. The MSRP on this truck was $57,400, althought this same truck would have an MSRP of $60K today.  Back in June the KBB private party value was up to $66K and is now down to $62,500. I did a search on the Ford site and there are now a lot of trucks at dealerships for sale in my area. Not like back in the day, but you can definitely find one. I put out several inquiries and of the ones that got back to me want $5K over MSRP for a XL, STX or XLT and $10K over for a lariat. Most of these trucks are 2021's, but there are 2022's available as well. My dealership is telling me that they expect the  used values to drop $800 to $900 per month until the end of the year. I'm not totally convinced, but he was spot on regarding the last truck and has access to a lot more information than I do.  He has also been very helpful, transparent and forth coming with the information that he is providing.

My thoughts are that the 2021's the dealers received won't last that long, and the 2022's will ship more slowly to dealers since Ford is starting to focus more on retail orders than dealer inventory. Also, I believe the end of year is when businesses buy trucks to use up budgets and get the tax write off. In AZ, construction has been booming for years and Covid didn't really hurt that. I would have to assume that most construction businesses are flush with cash from work and the PPP money thrown around by the government, and they will need tax write offs towards the end of the year. So the used market will still be good, but maybe not as good as it has been. Unfortunately my $5K upgrade is now probably a $10K upgrade.:ohsnap:

Edited by Robin Hood
  • Like 1

On 8/23/2021 at 8:26 AM, Baisey85 said:

Local dealer has many used trucks in the 30K-40K mileage range and they are still asking $70k+. That's the main reason I decided to order a new one and wait.

Same boat I'm in.  Ordered in May when my 2018 was booking at 71k, still waiting and now it's at 66k.  Much longer may tell the dealer they can keep the 22'.  Didn't mind paying the over inflated price for the new one when mine was inflated also.  We all know the new one isn't coming down in price.