2008 Mercury Mariner Pics

Where do I put the Ipod once it's plugged in?

In front of the shifter, just below the aux jack.

Of course, you'll want to buy the TripTunes add-on, in which case, the iPod goes in the glovebox, and plugs into a socket there.

I have to say, I'm impressed by the details in the passenger compartment, the little niceties, the 'surprise and delight' features like the 'wet storage' in the back, the reversible carpet, and the laptop capable center console.

In fact, what's kind of interesting about that center console is that it 'extends almost to the floor', which kind of makes you wonder what the other mfrs. are doing with all that dead space. Actually, I wonder if the new CRV even has a center storage bin (previous generation didn't).

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The one thing that seriously offended me in that press release was NVH, or should I say was seriously lacking. Now before someone jumps on my back I'm refering to the Duratec30/4 Spd combo, those two just do not function well and come across as being very harsh (much more so than the Duratecs in the 500/Fusion).

I too understand why Ford did it. Cost. There can not and should not be a huge overlap in terms of of pricing, packaging, and performance when the Escape is compared to the Edge. I'm hoping that Ford will be able to cut the pricing on these vehicles as they did with the Explorer and Expedition.

What I am waiting for is someone to complain in a comparo and ramble on and on about the Rav4.

I wont ramble about the Rav4 but I am disappointed in regards to carry over powertrains as well as the loss of the 5sp 4x4 option.

Ford no longer offers a manual 4x4 SUV in NA which is a mistake from my perception.

I wont ramble about the Rav4 but I am disappointed in regards to carry over powertrains as well as the loss of the 5sp 4x4 option.

Ford no longer offers a manual 4x4 SUV in NA which is a mistake from my perception.

I am with you on the stick... but truth to be said .. the only one left is Vue .. and that will lose it next year ...

if you want an SUV and stick, you are out of luck .. sad isn't it?

Igor

I was reaching for the outer door handle of a Dodge Intrepid that was running with its defrosters going this morning. My bare fingers felt a warm flow of air coming out from under the door handle.

Is this a 'nice-to-have' feature, or a design flaw, or some error in manufacturing?

I imagine in snow-climates it might keep the door lock and handle free from ice-buildup.

This same car has the top defroster vents pointed right at where the wipers rest outside the windshield. Also defroster vents pointed at the front side windows from the far extremes of the dash top.

Nice ideas.

Those, and Buick's heated windshield washer fluid... :)

I like it, My wife is on her 2nd Escape, first was a 2002, now shes in a 2005 due to the console and better front end, which was a great improvement over the 2001-2004 models. I am already looking at the new Mariner, like an 07 model, but may wait now for the 2008.

I like the fact that these vehicles show improvement every few years, improvements that help it sell and stay fresh. Both our Escapes have been great vehicles and trouble-free. I am looking forward to the Mariner.

That center consul is WAY to busy.....

What the?

Your moniker is 2005GTP. Have you SEEN your own center stack? Your own GM radio and EATC controls?

pontiac_grandprix_gtsedan_2006_dashboard_12_346x270.jpg

For the record, a Pontiac stereo with comparable functionality to the Mariner's has 27 buttons (including two buttons inside the volume and tune knobs) and three knobs. This gives you a total of 30 buttons and knobs on your radio.

The Mariner has 26 buttons and two knobs. That's actually one control fewer than your Pontiac 6-disc changer.

I can understand why Ford didn't change the tranny in the Escape/Mariner. Currently, the only AWD Transaxles that ford has in production (up to last month when the CD3 trio AWD vehicles started rolling) was the CVT from the D3s and the C4DE from the Escape. They buy the Volvo AWD auto for the XC90 from someone else (don't remember). That's it.

Ford has used a Jatco 5-speed unit in the Mazda6 and MPV, AND an AWD version of that unit on the X-type. Not sure if they still use it on the X-type. If they plan on going with a Ford tranny in the future using another transmission until it was ready, or NOT releasing the 2008 so insanely early until it was available would have made more sense. What's that about first impressions?

I am with you on the stick... but truth to be said .. the only one left is Vue .. and that will lose it next year ...

if you want an SUV and stick, you are out of luck .. sad isn't it?

Igor

Not exactly:

Subaru Forester & Outback

Hyundai Santa Fe (V6/Manual) & Tucson

Kia Sorento (V6/Manual) & Sportage

Dodge Nitro

Jeep Wrangler (V6/Manual), Liberty (V6/Manual), Patriot, & Compass

Hummer H3

Nissan XTerra (V6/Manual)

Toyota FJ Cruiser (V6/Manual)

BMW X3 & X5

And there may be more...I was just trying to remember all of them. So, Ford or GM won't send one your way, but several other companies will.

I won't missing the passing of the 4cyl/manual in the E/M/T...I don't believe I've ever driven a slower vehicle. And I drive an automatic Mazda5, which is well short of a rocketship. But the 4 cyl is just so overtaxed in the E/M/T, and I was driving a FWD...I couldn't imagine a 4cyl/4WD/auto E/M/T...it would almost be hazardous on the road it would be so slow. And the expected fuel economy benefit clearly isn't there, with 22c/26h. A bad choice all around. Now, if Ford (Or, more logically, Mazda.) wanted to strap a manual to the V6-powered E/M/T...then we'd be talking.

Scott

Zero emotion in this response-

Both Mazda and Volvo have better center stacks.

New Merc looks like Mazda intention with Jeep Liberty/Nitro block button and "Cold Console"

Front end, still stuck on Audi "Sad Face" droop

Instruments are acceptable only when compared to what they could've been, ie; Navigator (Whomever final approval was on the Navigators instrument design should be sent home, the Mariner could've been worse)

Compare the refinement in both the Mazda and Volvo pics shown here, Stunning versus acceptable

Will hold it's own on sales, but besides an initial release sales jump, will baseline or drop.

Mazda's 7 and 9 are are stunning SUVs. Their designers should redo the next Mariner.

Not disappointing, just not compelling either.

Edited by 4thGenFordDrivingToyotas

What the?

Your moniker is 2005GTP. Have you SEEN your own center stack? Your own GM radio and EATC controls?

pontiac_grandprix_gtsedan_2006_dashboard_12_346x270.jpg

For the record, a Pontiac stereo with comparable functionality to the Mariner's has 27 buttons (including two buttons inside the volume and tune knobs) and three knobs. This gives you a total of 30 buttons and knobs on your radio.

The Mariner has 26 buttons and two knobs. That's actually one control fewer than your Pontiac 6-disc changer.

The GP still has an easier consul than what Ford put in that Mariner. But for the record, the factory radio came out and an Alpine is in. Much better equipment than anything out of the factory is now in my car.

I loved the Escape I used to have. I just liked the size, utility and basic style of it. The style was clean and very European in a way other Ford vehicles wre not. I can apreciate that they kept the basic profile and proportions for the new one and improved areas that needed attention. However, I am not so sure they really needed to change so much sheetmetal but rather just give it a facelift to bring the classic proportions in line with a fresher look. Hoodlines, grille and light updates would have surficed plus the updated interior. I am not really crazy about the new slab sided doors. I was noticing a few Escapes today and it just seems they tinkered to much with things I liked that didn't need changing. It sort of strikes me the same way the 94-98 Mustang was Changed in 1999 to where the fresh styling didn't really improve the looks, but made it awkward in some areas to where I felt like it was wrong and a lot seemed to need fixing for a better balanced look.

The Mariner would have benifited by staying closer to the more rectangular and blocky grille proportions like the Milan has. The new one looks to much like a VW. Vee'd grille openings have been done to death by everyone over the past decade. Also, the cleared out taillamps just don't do it for me. They look aftermarket and they simply are not elegant but cheesy.

It seems everyone wants to follow BMW and Toyota with strange styling reliefs where vehicle details look mongloid and distorted. I am not a fan of the new stepped headlamps and everything getting the droopy teary eyed look. It does not promote optimism which most well styled cars do. We are back to the excesses of the late 1950's where some styling is adapting gaudiness and strangeness instead of optimism and beauty. However, historically all things always come full circle.

Edited by Watchdevil

Not exactly:

Subaru Forester & Outback

Hyundai Santa Fe (V6/Manual) & Tucson

Kia Sorento (V6/Manual) & Sportage

Dodge Nitro

Jeep Wrangler (V6/Manual), Liberty (V6/Manual), Patriot, & Compass

Hummer H3

Nissan XTerra (V6/Manual)

Toyota FJ Cruiser (V6/Manual)

BMW X3 & X5

And there may be more...I was just trying to remember all of them. So, Ford or GM won't send one your way, but several other companies will.

I won't missing the passing of the 4cyl/manual in the E/M/T...I don't believe I've ever driven a slower vehicle. And I drive an automatic Mazda5, which is well short of a rocketship. But the 4 cyl is just so overtaxed in the E/M/T, and I was driving a FWD...I couldn't imagine a 4cyl/4WD/auto E/M/T...it would almost be hazardous on the road it would be so slow. And the expected fuel economy benefit clearly isn't there, with 22c/26h. A bad choice all around. Now, if Ford (Or, more logically, Mazda.) wanted to strap a manual to the V6-powered E/M/T...then we'd be talking.

Scott

There will be a manual but the manual will be available only as a FWD - no longer manual + 4x4.

Just for comparison I really dig the speed manual mated to the 3,7 V6 in the Liberty and believe that a whole group of consumers are reject the E/M/T due to lack of V6 manual and 4x4...especially the true off road groups (even if capability is not as good as a Liberty)

C&D did a brief write-up on the Mariner, and of course they had to add this:

A Continuously Variable Transmission (CVT), licensed from Toyota, is the only available transmission on the hybrid model.

First of all I thought that transmission was an Aisin unit, and second of all what was the point behind adding that information there in the first place.

First of all I thought that transmission was an Aisin unit, and second of all what was the point behind adding that information there in the first place.

Seriously. If another automaker buys anything from Visteon do they say "licensed from Ford" in their review? I highly doubt it.

While I like the of cosmetic upgrades... I'm disappointed with the powertrains. if Ford wanted to go with the Duratec 30 again, fine, but the least they could have done is put in the Fusion/Milan version... along with the 6 speed auto.

That CD4E tranny is ancient and needs to go

I'm sure by sometime in 2007 or early 2008 the Mariner will have the Duratec 35 engine and the six speed automatic transmission. Is it true that Lincoln will have a 3.7 liter version of the Duratec 35 engine?

It must feel like a dagger right through your heart everytime its mentioned Ford had to license their hybrid technology from toyota :slug:

It must feel like a dagger right through your heart everytime its mentioned Ford had to license their hybrid technology from toyota :slug:

That would be Nissan that licensed from Toyota, not Ford.

Here's a picture of the blue lighting:

picture2dn0.png

Ford hasn't used the Jatco 5 speed in anything, save perhaps the X-type and MPV, in years. The Mazda 6 switched to the Aisin 6 AT a few model years ago. The only reason that the MPV still has it is the supply contract on it hasn't ended yet after its last renewal. But, since the MPV is EOL, that's immaterial. I'd imagine that the AWD version of said tranny, as used in the X-type, is rather pricey, putting it out of range for the E/M/T. Another point is that, I believe from what I've seen, that the Jatco 5AT AWd is dimensionally incompatible with the C4DE AWD setup and would have required significant changes in the engine bay to make it work.

If they really are abandoning the AWD/4 cylinder combination for the E/M/T, then what doesn't make much sense to me is not using the 5AT from the Fusion 4 cylinder. While I don't know which tranny that is (is it possibly another Jatco?) from what I say in the press clippings, it doesn't look like it would be difficult to put that in the same footprint as the existing 4aT/4 cyl combo. That would have allowed for an extra mpg or two and made the 4 cylinder more responsive.

Regarding transmissions & the E/M/T - combined these three sell somewhere around 200K a year I think. And they have been great vehicles with higher-than-Ford-average conquest rates. If any vehicle justifies investment it is the E/M/T lineup. So, if no existing transmission had yet been adapted to AWD, *ADAPT* one for the E/M/T.

If I were shopping this category and looked at stats only, would I select a 201hp, 4 speed auto, 3.0L V6 with 18/24 mpg Mariner or the 268hp, 5-speed auto, 3.5L V6 with 22/29 mpg RAV4? Heck, even going beyond stats, the RAV4 really leaves the Mariner in the dust powetrain wise.

Sure the 3.5L might be slotted-in within a year, but once again Ford launches a car with the wrong engine. (500/ Montego/ Freestyle/ Expedition/ Navigator/ Fusion/ Milan/ Zephyr - the list is growing...)

Scott