Comparison test: Mustang Mach-E vs. Bolt EUV vs. ID.4

Motor Trend compared 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E California Route 1, 2022 Chevy Bolt EUV Premier, and 2021 Volkswagen ID.4 Pro. Chevy Bolt EUV vs. VW ID4 vs. Ford Mustang Mach-E: The Mainstreamers (motortrend.com)

Summary.

Electric vehicles have long faced an uphill battle toward consumer acceptance. Although there are a number of reasons for this, two in particular have stood out as significant barriers: high prices relative to equivalent gasoline-powered cars and limited driving range.

Both, though, are largely things of the past, with the prices and driving ranges of EVs inching closer to parity with their gas-powered counterparts. Need proof? Look no further than the three mainstream SUVs gathered here: the 2022 Chevrolet Bolt EUV, 2021 Volkswagen ID4, and 2021 Ford Mustang Mach-E. Each is priced at less than $45,000 (before factoring in government incentives), and they all can travel more than 200 miles when fully charged.

Admittedly, these three electric SUVs are not exactly direct competitors, with the 169.5-inch-long Bolt EUV occupying the subcompact SUV space, the 180.5-inch-long ID4 in the compact SUV class, and the 185.6-inch-long Mustang Mach-E playing in two-row midsize SUV segment.

So why compare this trio of two-wheel-drive EVs? Because there simply aren't that many affordable, all-electric-powered SUVs on the market yet, and consumers interested in this emerging group are likely to cross-shop them, at least in the short term.

Verdict.

Although the Bolt EUV's available Super Cruise driver assist system and easy-to-use infotainment setup are superior to those of the ID4 and Mustang Mach-E (well, at least until Ford finally enables BlueCruise), neither feature justifies spending north of $40,000 on the smaller and less refined Chevy over the similarly priced but slightly less feature-packed VW and Ford. Put the federal tax credit back on the table, one that Chevy can't currently offer for the Bolt, and it simply fails to justify its cost, be it for a base LT or a loaded Premier relative to the effective price of an ID4 or Mustang Mach-E.

Yes, the Mustang Mach-E has its own share of issues, but they're considerably fewer in number than those of the VW. More important, the Mach-E is downright fun to drive, with comfortable seating for four (five, if you opt to use the acceptable but not ideal middle seating position of the rear bench). It also feels special in a way the ID4 simply does not.

Whether putting it through its paces on winding roads, pinning its accelerator pedal to the floorboard, or hiding goods in its sizable frunk, the Blue Oval's electric SUV fully embraces its Mustang heritage and aptly takes advantage of the driving dynamic and packaging benefits a battery electric powertrain offers, all while providing up to 305 miles of driving range.

While our choice of this trio is the Mach-E, consumers in the market for longer-range electric crossovers now have multiple reasonably affordable options relative to similar subcompact, compact, and midsize SUVs with internal combustion engines. No longer can new vehicle buyers shun EVs for their perceived range deficiencies or exorbitant price tags, and that's a good thing for the future, no matter which of these three ends up being more successful in the long run.

2022-Chevrolet-Bolt-EUV-Premier-vs-2021-

5 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

“And it pisses off the Mustang Purists too LOL”

Not me! I just passed a newly bought MME in black today in my Bullitt, I was going to give him a thumbs up but traffic didn’t allow! It looked really nice in all black I must say.

Of course it’s not a traditional Mustang but as long as the original sticks around (for now) why not expand the nameplate I say! 

• Like 2