D Plan pricing for employee no longer at dealer?

gom

Well, today is bitter sweet. After over 5 months of waiting on an order, scheduled today and have a VIN. 

My brother in-law was an employee at this dealer until the 6th of January, he left to start college. When we bought the truck, it was under d-plan pricing. Now we're looking at a much higher price, obviously. 

I've tried calling Ford's AXZ plan number, they're not able to help, transferred me to Ford Marketing, who also said they couldn't help and then transferred me to an IT support number. I do qualify for x-plan, dealer is saying x-plan doesn't have the commission d-plan would have and aren't sure they will honor that. The SM cited the spot in their allocation my order took, which my understanding is not the case with a COVP order, but I've heard it both ways recently and not sure there is a black and white answer to that one. Nonetheless, I'm flustered at the idea that such a circumstance is even possible where an agreed upon price is contingent upon continued employment for 5+ months after the date of order.

Has anyone found themselves in this position and was able to resolve it? The AZX plan number I called seemed to think someone else at the dealer could just generate a PIN, but my review of the documentation online would seem to indicate that could put the dealer in an unfavorable position in the event of an audit.

Ideally I'm just looking for a number where someone at Ford can discuss the subject who handles this process and could provide clarity? Any help would be appreciated.

The fact that it was ordered is irrelevant.  Plan discounts are applied at the time of sale and that’s where the pin has to be applied.  If you already had a PIN then it might be possible   These sales do get audited so the dealer has to follow the rules.

That's interesting, the dealer said the second we have a VIN we could generate the pin and apply it. From what you're saying, sounds like it would have to be valid to generate the pin at the time the consumer picks up the vehicle.

Tough pill, hopefully the dealer will take x-plan or just come close to either. They're still family friends and my BIL will probably work there again, just probably not real soon. (who knows, though)

Anyway, appreciate the feedback. 

18 minutes ago, gom said:

That's interesting, the dealer said the second we have a VIN we could generate the pin and apply it. From what you're saying, sounds like it would have to be valid to generate the pin at the time the consumer picks up the vehicle.

Tough pill, hopefully the dealer will take x-plan or just come close to either. They're still family friends and my BIL will probably work there again, just probably not real soon. (who knows, though)

Anyway, appreciate the feedback. 

If the dealer is willing to do it then go for it.  It’s the dealer who would get in trouble not you.

7 hours ago, gom said:

Well, today is bitter sweet. After over 5 months of waiting on an order, scheduled today and have a VIN. 

My brother in-law was an employee at this dealer until the 6th of January, he left to start college. When we bought the truck, it was under d-plan pricing. Now we're looking at a much higher price, obviously. 

I've tried calling Ford's AXZ plan number, they're not able to help, transferred me to Ford Marketing, who also said they couldn't help and then transferred me to an IT support number. I do qualify for x-plan, dealer is saying x-plan doesn't have the commission d-plan would have and aren't sure they will honor that. The SM cited the spot in their allocation my order took, which my understanding is not the case with a COVP order, but I've heard it both ways recently and not sure there is a black and white answer to that one. Nonetheless, I'm flustered at the idea that such a circumstance is even possible where an agreed upon price is contingent upon continued employment for 5+ months after the date of order.

Has anyone found themselves in this position and was able to resolve it? The AZX plan number I called seemed to think someone else at the dealer could just generate a PIN, but my review of the documentation online would seem to indicate that could put the dealer in an unfavorable position in the event of an audit.

Ideally I'm just looking for a number where someone at Ford can discuss the subject who handles this process and could provide clarity? Any help would be appreciated.

Hi gom. This is a bit confusing. AXZD PINS are good for one year from the date of generation. That applies whether the employee leaves the company, dies etc. All your brother-in-law had needed to do was generate a D-Plan PIN when you ordered the vehicle. It would have been valid for D-Pan pricing at he time of order, and also would have been valid when your new vehicle arrived.

In other words, the agreed upon price was not "contingent upon continued employment for 5+ months after the date of order." He simply should have generated the PIN for you before he left.

And it would not have mattered whether your brother-in-law was still employed by the Dealer when your truck actually arrived. The PIN would still have been valid (again, for 1 year from date of generation).

So If you are saying you ordered without a PIN, and your brother-in-law never generated one before he left, then essentially there is nothing that can be done, unless someone at Ford Corporate hears your plea and has mercy on you. Unfortunately, that is unlikely.

The problem with having another Dealership employee generate PIN is you would not be properly related to that employee, and the employee could lose all future PIN benefits, as you already noted.

Sorry if I got something wrong about your situation.

Keep us updated and good luck.

Edited by bbf2530

14 minutes ago, bbf2530 said:

Hi gom. This is a bit confusing. AXZD PINS are good for one year from the date of generation. That applies whether the employee leaves the company, dies etc. All your brother-in-law had needed to do was generate a D-Plan PIN when you ordered the vehicle. It would have been valid for D-Pan pricing at he time of order, and also would have been valid when your new vehicle arrived.

In other words, the agreed upon price was not "contingent upon continued employment for 5+ months after the date of order." He simply should have generated the PIN for you before he left.

And it would not have mattered whether your brother-in-law was still employed by the Dealer when your truck actually arrived. The PIN would still have been valid (again, for 1 year from date of generation).

So If you are saying you ordered without a PIN, and your brother-in-law never generated one before he left, then essentially there is nothing that can be done, unless someone at Ford Corporate hears your plea and has mercy on you. Unfortunately, that is unlikely.

Another option would obviously be if the Dealership has another employee generate a D-Plan PIN for you.

Sorry if I got something wrong about your situation.

Thanks for the reply. 

He said he has to have a VIN to generate the PIN -- that was the issue.

In RE to having another employee generate the PIN, that's what the AZN HQ lady suggested -- but I looked up the requirements and that looks to be a definite no-no from Ford. They could get audited and fined, basically. Don't want to bite the hand that feeds, so to speak -- these people were trying to do me a kindness.

Spoke to them about doing x-plan, which they are contemplating. I'm assuming that means going back to the owner for approval for -- they said they actually, as the dealership, make more on a D plan order than an X plan. Which, that sounds like a bad deal - explains why nobody else would take x-plan near me.

Anyway, I guess we'll see what comes of it. I've reserved myself at this point to the fact there probably isn't an actual D plan resource to talk to like there is the AZN hq. I'd have thought the AZN number was it but I was clearly wrong on that. Thanks for the reply, I'll update with whatever comes of it. I'm guessing they'll just get close to something in pricing and it will just be a case of not-worth-the-squeeze to chase anything else. (one can hope)

1 hour ago, gom said:

Thanks for the reply. 

He said he has to have a VIN to generate the PIN -- that was the issue.

In RE to having another employee generate the PIN, that's what the AZN HQ lady suggested -- but I looked up the requirements and that looks to be a definite no-no from Ford. They could get audited and fined, basically. Don't want to bite the hand that feeds, so to speak -- these people were trying to do me a kindness.

Spoke to them about doing x-plan, which they are contemplating. I'm assuming that means going back to the owner for approval for -- they said they actually, as the dealership, make more on a D plan order than an X plan. Which, that sounds like a bad deal - explains why nobody else would take x-plan near me.

Anyway, I guess we'll see what comes of it. I've reserved myself at this point to the fact there probably isn't an actual D plan resource to talk to like there is the AZN hq. I'd have thought the AZN number was it but I was clearly wrong on that. Thanks for the reply, I'll update with whatever comes of it. I'm guessing they'll just get close to something in pricing and it will just be a case of not-worth-the-squeeze to chase anything else. (one can hope)

Hi gom. "He" meaning who? A Dealership employee or your brother-in-law? Either way, whoever told you that information is incorrect.

A VIN is not necessary in order to generate PIN. In fact, normally a PIN in hand is necessary before most Dealers will even seriously discuss AZD-Plan pricing with a customer, or show them the Invoice with the Plan pricing etc.

PINS are good for one year from the date of generation. And obviously, VIN's would not be available a year in advance. Your brother-in-law could have generated a D-Plan PIN for you the day before he left employment and it would be good for one year. Did not/do not need a VIN.

And yes, another employee who is not related to you could get themself and/or the Dealership in trouble if they were audited, since you would not be a proper family relation (i.e. in this case, a brother-in-law).

I realize all of this information is a bit too late now. But it may come in handy in the future, if your brother-in-law should return to working at a Ford/Lincoln Dealership.

Edited by bbf2530

1 hour ago, bbf2530 said:

Hi gom. "He" meaning who? A Dealership employee or your brother-in-law? Either way, whoever told you that information is incorrect.

A VIN is not necessary in order to generate PIN. In fact, normally a PIN in hand is necessary before most Dealers will even seriously discuss AZD-Plan pricing with a customer, or show them the Invoice with the Plan pricing etc.

PINS are good for one year from the date of generation. And obviously, VIN's would not be available a year in advance. Your brother-in-law could have generated a D-Plan PIN for you the day before he left employment and it would be good for one year. Did not/do not need a VIN.

And yes, another employee who is not related to you could get themself and/or the Dealership in trouble if they were audited, since you would not be a proper family relation (i.e. in this case, a brother-in-law).

I realize all of this information is a bit too late now. But it may come in handy in the future, if your brother-in-law should return to working at a Ford/Lincoln Dealership.

Wow, that's painful to hear. Hopefully it helps someone else, explains why this normally isn't an issue. "He" was in reference to my BIL, who was told that by his sales manager. 

Edited by gom

17 minutes ago, gom said:

Wow, that's painful to hear. Hopefully it helps someone else, explains why this normally isn't an issue. "He" was in reference to my BIL, who was told that by his sales manager. 

Hi gom. His Sales Manager was wrong and should have known better. ?

Good luck.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bbf2530 said:

Hi gom. His Sales Manager was wrong and should have known better. ?

Good luck.

Yaup, sounds like. Makes sense, though. Painful to hear nonetheless. 

Do greatly appreciate the information and well wishes.

• Sad 1