10 Speed Problems

Hello.  I’ve been dealing with a transmission issues for the last year in my 2020 f350.   It’s downshifting really into 3rd gear most of the time.  Super annoying.  It has been to 6 different dealerships.  It’s been flashed/updated and valve body has been cleaned.  Every time it’s flashed and cleaned it shifts great for about a week and returns to the same harsh down shift.   Has anyone had this problem and able to get it fixed?  I just refuse to hear from the dealership “it’s just a 10 speed and it’s fine”. 

1 hour ago, WNC Super Duty said:

Hello.  I’ve been dealing with a transmission issues for the last year in my 2020 f350.   It’s downshifting really into 3rd gear most of the time.  Super annoying.  It has been to 6 different dealerships.  It’s been flashed/updated and valve body has been cleaned.  Every time it’s flashed and cleaned it shifts great for about a week and returns to the same harsh down shift.   Has anyone had this problem and able to get it fixed?  I just refuse to hear from the dealership “it’s just a 10 speed and it’s fine”. 

I've heard there's a new transmission flash coming in April some time.  At this time, don't have any specific details to offer.

15 hours ago, WNC Super Duty said:

Ford 10-speed TRANSMISSION 10R140 Internal GUTS opened up - Look What Happened!! - YouTube

This video is about early 2020 10R140 transmissions that experienced a harsh shift from park to drive and vise versa.  I read yours is a downshift from fourth to third but it might be the same or similar issue that is causing a harsh downshift to 3rd.  Apparently there have been several updates on 10R140 after 2020, pretty sure I've seen a few articles talking about early 10R140 issues but were fixed on later models.  I'll keep looking into this to see what I can dig up.  Best I can tell, In this video, the transmission is getting swapped out for a new one after the issue was resolved at transmission factory.

1 hour ago, 787Toolman said:

bshort, if this downshift was not always present and only recently started happening, I suspect it has nothing to do with software otherwise it would have been doing it from day one.  If the transmission has some internal wear making metal or debris, this trash can block small orifices, jam spool valves or a clutch pack could have a broken drum or snap ring holding pack together come loose causing a mechanical problem.  If a clutch pack normally has an amount of travel of say 0.1" to engage and disengage and a pack snap ring comes out of the end of the pack, it might travel .25" or more causing a clunk and then you notice the pack engagement.  Seems like these days, everyone thinks every problem is recorded by computers or is the fault of software and forget the mechanical complexity.  I hate that your transmission is giving problems but if I had to diagnose from the outside, I'd say your problem is internal and mechanical and until the dealer removes the transmission and completely takes it apart and inspects every aspect, it will continue and get worse.  I apologize for a negative post but I'm a realist.  I have never been inside a 10R140 but I have built hundreds of automatics back many years ago before they were computerized.

Since new.  7 months and 3K miles.  

On 3/18/2022 at 6:23 AM, WNC Super Duty said:

WNC, if this downshift was not always present and only recently started happening, I suspect it has nothing to do with software otherwise it would have been doing it from day one.  If the transmission has some internal wear making metal or debris, this trash can block small orifices, jam spool valves or a clutch pack could have a broken drum or snap ring holding pack together come loose causing a mechanical problem.  If a clutch pack normally has an amount of travel of say 0.1" to engage and disengage and a pack snap ring comes out of the end of the pack, it might travel .25" or more causing a clunk and then you notice the pack engagement.  Seems like these days, everyone thinks every problem is recorded by computers or is the fault of software and forget the mechanical complexity.  I hate that your transmission is giving problems but if I had to diagnose from the outside, I'd say your problem is internal and mechanical and until the dealer removes the transmission and completely takes it apart and inspects every aspect, it will continue and get worse.  I apologize for a negative post but I'm a realist.  I have never been inside a 10R140 but I have built hundreds of automatics back many years ago before they were computerized.