New truck on order from Utah

I posted this in the Welcome Forum but it might be better also posted here, if not, I apologize.

After 22 years since the last new truck, I decided to take advantage of the X plan and order a new Ford Super Duty.  I love my Gen 2 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins truck with 190,000 miles on it.  It is still running strong but I wanted a truck with some more "creature" comforts.  The truck is getting passed on to a son rather than being sold at almost what I paid for it.  So on February 22, 2022 I ordered a 2022 Lariat Crew cab with the GAS 7.3l engine and the Ultimate package and a few other items.  Going from diesel to gas was based on several things:  My trailer is a 25 foot Rockwood (6500 #), diesel here is 60 cents per gallon more than gas, the maintenance is lower, I can see the ground from the top of the engine, and I won't be driving in another 22 years.  The gas engine delivers more HP and the same torque as my Cummins (stock)

We camp, fish, hunt, do community and church service, and play with the 13.5 grandkids.

The dealer wanted a non-refundable $2000 down payment because I ordered the truck with a gas engine and they said it would be hard to sell if I backed out of the transaction.  Whatever!  I got the order confirmed email from the factory after the dealer corrected my email address and I found out last week I am 84/120 in their truck order queue with a priority of 19.  Not great, but it is what it is.

In prowling around this forum I see order to build timeframes from weeks to 8 months.  I see references to sites where you can track the truck, modules, rail cars, plant shutdowns, etc.  Somehow I need to get connected to these sites.  All I have is a order number from the dealer that looks fake (one letter and 3 numbers).

Anyway, thanks for the comments and help I see being offered here.  There is lots to do while I wait for a truck or maybe see the ordered cancelled because of the switch to manufacture the 2023 trucks in a few months.  Thanks to all

Yeah your order number isnt nessicarily unique and only relevant to your dealership. At mine the letter designated the salesperson and the number was just the identifier.

You wont be able to do much tracking on your own until you get a vin and scheduled production date. You will have to rely on your sales person or you can ask cyberdman over in the vehicle locator forum. Just make sure to read and follow the rules first! If you head to the production and sales forum you will find a pinned post by @ice-capades with upcoming scheduling dates for all ford vehicles including super duty. There have been a lot of weeks of no scheduling lately.

Some of the big hold ups include fifth wheel prep, spray in bedliner, and Adaptive Steering.  If you dont have any of these you may see the truck sooner rather then later. If you do have any of these you may want to consider how badly you need them or if getting them done locally after delivery is an option for you.

Edited by mattdm

Regarding the X plan order.  I got an order listing MSRP for the truck and options and it had listed the A/Z plan price, D plan price, and the X plan price.  The sales rep said he didn't need my x plan information until I pickup the truck.  The plan I am a part of is a very large buyer of vehicles (thousands per year) so I can assume that the dealer won't want to lose them as a customer, but you ask a good question.  I think the dealer would be in some legal trouble if they took the order, gave me a price and didn't honor the plan at delivery.

Back to more site browsing.  Thanks for the reply.  When I bought a Chevy Suburban years ago under their form of X-plan, it was 8 weeks from order to delivery but then it probably only had two computers in it not the dozens the new vehicles have.

1 hour ago, UT_Grandpa said:

I think the dealer would be in some legal trouble if they took the order, gave me a price and didn't honor the plan at delivery.

Only if you had a signed sales agreement and even then they can still decide not to honor it and there is t much you can really do.  You could sue them but you have to prove damages.

6 hours ago, UT_Grandpa said:

I posted this in the Welcome Forum but it might be better also posted here, if not, I apologize.

After 22 years since the last new truck, I decided to take advantage of the X plan and order a new Ford Super Duty.  I love my Gen 2 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins truck with 190,000 miles on it.  It is still running strong but I wanted a truck with some more "creature" comforts.  The truck is getting passed on to a son rather than being sold at almost what I paid for it.  So on February 22, 2022 I ordered a 2022 Lariat Crew cab with the GAS 7.3l engine and the Ultimate package and a few other items.  Going from diesel to gas was based on several things:  My trailer is a 25 foot Rockwood (6500 #), diesel here is 60 cents per gallon more than gas, the maintenance is lower, I can see the ground from the top of the engine, and I won't be driving in another 22 years.  The gas engine delivers more HP and the same torque as my Cummins (stock)

We camp, fish, hunt, do community and church service, and play with the 13.5 grandkids.

The dealer wanted a non-refundable $2000 down payment because I ordered the truck with a gas engine and they said it would be hard to sell if I backed out of the transaction.  Whatever!  I got the order confirmed email from the factory after the dealer corrected my email address and I found out last week I am 84/120 in their truck order queue with a priority of 19.  Not great, but it is what it is.

In prowling around this forum I see order to build timeframes from weeks to 8 months.  I see references to sites where you can track the truck, modules, rail cars, plant shutdowns, etc.  Somehow I need to get connected to these sites.  All I have is a order number from the dealer that looks fake (one letter and 3 numbers).

Anyway, thanks for the comments and help I see being offered here.  There is lots to do while I wait for a truck or maybe see the ordered cancelled because of the switch to manufacture the 2023 trucks in a few months.  Thanks to all

Which dealer did you order from? I am also in Utah.

36 minutes ago, Forddaddy said:

Also from Utah! @tcritch3 who did you order from? I’m 5 months in on my 350 CCLB KR with no scheduling. 

Ken Garff Ford in AF. How about you? My timeline is in my signature if it shows up but it’s been a long road. Ordered on 9/7. I don’t think my dealer knows how the ordering system really works. 

44 minutes ago, tcritch3 said:

Ken Garff Ford in AF. How about you? My timeline is in my signature if it shows up but it’s been a long road. Ordered on 9/7. I don’t think my dealer knows how the ordering system really works. 

I’m mid November on mine. Performance Ford. Haven’t got a bump in priority and dealer is mildly incompetent. I’m ready for the process to be over lol

43 minutes ago, BRANDON4 said:

I live in Providence. Bought a 22 450 from Wilson Motor in Logan after a 7 mo wait. Ford hosed me out of my $3500 rebate.

I just ordered two 450s from LHM Draper.  Anxious to see how fast I get a vin.

You should supercharge that 7.3.....

7 months isn’t bad for a 450. How was working what Wilson Motor? 

On 3/29/2022 at 8:43 AM, UT_Grandpa said:

Don't worry, you'll have plenty of time to get connected to all the sites and read all the posts while you are waiting.  I've been waiting since August and still have a couple more weeks at least.  I find it funny that they told you a gasser would be hard to sell.  True most of the trucks that hit lots around here are diesel however even a 6.2 gasser probably wouldn't sit two days without being snatched up.  You just don't see new super duties sitting on lots around here.

14 hours ago, Forddaddy said:

I’m mid November on mine. Performance Ford. Haven’t got a bump in priority and dealer is mildly incompetent. I’m ready for the process to be over lol

Seems like the common theme with most dealers. Glad it's not just isolated to my dealer. Never liked LHM dealers for multiple reasons and multiple attempts to buy vehicles from them. I wondered about Performance though, they've seemed decent when I looked there in the past.

On 3/29/2022 at 12:19 PM, UT_Grandpa said:

Regarding the X plan order.  I got an order listing MSRP for the truck and options and it had listed the A/Z plan price, D plan price, and the X plan price.  The sales rep said he didn't need my x plan information until I pickup the truck.  The plan I am a part of is a very large buyer of vehicles (thousands per year) so I can assume that the dealer won't want to lose them as a customer, but you ask a good question.  I think the dealer would be in some legal trouble if they took the order, gave me a price and didn't honor the plan at delivery.

Back to more site browsing.  Thanks for the reply.  When I bought a Chevy Suburban years ago under their form of X-plan, it was 8 weeks from order to delivery but then it probably only had two computers in it not the dozens the new vehicles have.

Out if curiosity how much does x-plan knock off, is it a percentage or how do they calculate it and is it the same across all dealers?

10 hours ago, cc121 said:

Mine is from July with KG West Valley. It shows in production but who knows when it will really show up. The whole process is tough, seems like it would be nice to have Ford control it from end to end. 

Wow! It seems like all the Utah dealers need to educate themselves on this whole process. I am pretty sure I know way more than my dealer just from this Forum alone. 

I would agree.  I just requested a copy of my signed order from the dealer.  I never got one when I ordered the truck 5 weeks ago, they gave me some kind of worksheet with the features and options and the various plan prices at the bottom.  Could be important come delivery and switch to MY23, if that happens.  I am finding lots of stuff to browse while I wait and wait some more.

I am a Ham radio operator and I wonder how folks are mounting antennas to these aluminum trucks.  You just can't plop a mag mount antenna on the roof anymore.

On 3/31/2022 at 12:32 PM, UT_Grandpa said:

I would agree.  I just requested a copy of my signed order from the dealer.  I never got one when I ordered the truck 5 weeks ago, they gave me some kind of worksheet with the features and options and the various plan prices at the bottom.  Could be important come delivery and switch to MY23, if that happens.  I am finding lots of stuff to browse while I wait and wait some more.

I am a Ham radio operator and I wonder how folks are mounting antennas to these aluminum trucks.  You just can't plop a mag mount antenna on the roof anymore.

I mounted a beacon light to mine with double sided 3M moulding tape.  Just an inch long piece on each corner has a very solid hold.  They make steel brackets that screw into the 3rd brake light for mounting magnetic things, but I was afraid of leaks around the brake light, and it also would have made my beacon light taller.  I was hoping to get my truck in the garage by mounting my light how I did, and it just barely fits, but only with the factory road tread tires which I use in the winter.  The stock goodyear tires from Ford are a couple inches taller than the highway tread 18" stock tires, and my truck does not go in the garage with the goodyears on. 

My garage isn't big enough for the truck.  My home was built in 1956 and cars were much smaller then.  I am going to mount my HF band antenna on an extension to the side from the hitch receiver. I built one for a friend's 2022 he got in December.  I think my VHF antenna may have to be a lip mount or mounted on the driver's side front of the bed.  My Dodge RAM uses a hood lip mount for the antenna.  I am going to have to think of a way I can use a magnetic mount antenna on this aluminum truck.  It might be a thin plate of steel clamped to the bed.  Thanks for your suggestions on how to mount lights using a light to do this.