Several thousand miles towing 5th wheel

Dang, I love this truck.  CCLB D F350, and it barely blinks at my 13K+ 5th wheel.  Through the mountains or flat lands, nada, it just don't care.

Couple of small issues, when not towing and engine brake on, 3-2-1 shift can be very harsh.  While on cruise and going uphill, IMHO, it waits too long to down shift.  Quick press of accelerator forces a downshift.  Adaptive cruise RTFW.  How did I ever live without that?

Still trying to identify my perceived issue with 7 round, if it's a problem with truck or trailer, or just needs to be broken in.

Discovered an interesting issue with sync 4 and how it operates when center stack screen is in camera mode.  It wants the phone to handle things like audio commands instead of sync handling it.

Trailer camera is awesome.

Still need to install TPMS.

Still haven't figured out how to make pro trailer backup work, and I was part of the pre launch trial.

21 hours ago, IUEC135ELEVATOR said:

You are getting some good use with her..i wish i had more time to drag my camper ...???

working from home has it's benefits... and it's negatives.  It's a LOT harder to leave the computer, when I don't have to leave to make dinner.

All done 8/31!!!

On 4/6/2022 at 5:56 PM, road turtle said:

Dang, I love this truck.  CCLB D F350, and it barely blinks at my 13K+ 5th wheel.  Through the mountains or flat lands, nada, it just don't care.

Couple of small issues, when not towing and engine brake on, 3-2-1 shift can be very harsh.  While on cruise and going uphill, IMHO, it waits too long to down shift.  Quick press of accelerator forces a downshift.  Adaptive cruise RTFW.  How did I ever live without that?

Still trying to identify my perceived issue with 7 round, if it's a problem with truck or trailer, or just needs to be broken in.

Discovered an interesting issue with sync 4 and how it operates when center stack screen is in camera mode.  It wants the phone to handle things like audio commands instead of sync handling it.

Still haven't figured out how to make pro trailer backup work, and I was part of the pre launch trial.

Congratulaions. I can’t wait. 

I just sold my ‘99 ECLB Power Stroke.  I can’t imagine what nearly double the HP and Torque is going to feel like!

We are supposed to be picking up our truck next week. 

Cutting it close, but we should be leaving on a trip to Alaska the first of May. We will be towing a 10k travel trailer, so I am anticipating that should pose no issue for the CCSB F350 with that 6.7. 

I’ll have to run her around a lot before we leave to make sure we get that 1000 miles in. 

Keep enjoying that truck and thanks for sharing. 

Safe Travels

16 hours ago, Ford truck guy said:

Well...  We are towing our 42' fifth wheel with out OLD 2020 Super Duty and LOVE every mile ! !  This is by far is the best truck I have ever towed with... She does not even work a sweat on hills....

Should have my new F-450 by the middle of next month and looking forward to hitching up our Redwood. Can't make the rally this year, or next, but definitely planning on heading East to Indiana for 2024.

Any chance you have the time to attend one of the rallies yet.

Edited by Rangers09
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Rangers09 said:

Should have my new F-450 by the middle of next month and looking forward to hitching up our Redwood. Can't make the rally this year, or next, but definitely planning on headinfg East to Indiana for 2024.

That's Great News Andy !    I am excited for you to get the new truck....  I do not know what I am doing, buy we do have a Rally attendance on our "TO DO " List... We are just not sure when, it's a tough time of year for us to go west

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ford truck guy said:

That's Great News Andy !    I am excited for you to get the new truck....  I do not know what I am doing, buy we do have a Rally attendance on our "TO DO " List... We are just not sure when, it's a tough time of year for us to go west

At present, our plans for 2024 are to go coast to coast, spending about 6 weeks in Newfoundland, then dropping down to Indiana for the rally in July.

• Thanks 1

On 4/10/2022 at 11:20 PM, Rangers09 said:

I have an Arctic Fox... it's tough to find a dealer east of the Mississippi river, much less a rally...

Now, when I retire, all bets are off, except I won't go into any west coast state.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, road turtle said:

I have an Arctic Fox... it's tough to find a dealer east of the Mississippi river, much less a rally...

Now, when I retire, all bets are off, except I won't go into any west coast state.

We have a Redwood and we formed our own owner's group. Still a small group, but we host an annual rally in northern Indiana, a few miles from the factory. The company send technicians to the campground and provide complimentary service, regardless of warranty status.

For us it is over 3,000 miles each way, but attending the rally is just one of our destinations.

I expect Arctic Fox has a similar owner's group and will have an annual rally and most likely smaller regional gatherings.

Have to ask, what's the issue with coming out West.

1 hour ago, road turtle said:

Wife and I have been known to compete in firearms competitions.  If I wandered into CA, WA, OR, they'd probably throw away the key.

Haha - probably can't come North either, as we are even less welcoming than the Western States.?

11 hours ago, Rangers09 said:

Haha - probably can't come North either, as we are even less welcoming than the Western States.?

Canada???  I used to make a monthly trip across the border.  Vehicle I would take got a thorough look over for any loose rounds or even loose brass and anything that might resemble even a knife.

• Sad 1

On 4/6/2022 at 5:56 PM, road turtle said:

I have a question. As I mentioned earlier, my previous Power Stroke was a ‘99 (no regen). 

I have read that the DEF tank should last about as long as you oil change interval, but I have also read that you tend to burn more DEF while towing. What has been your experience?

Thank you. 

8 hours ago, Late Apex 61 said:

I have a question. As I mentioned earlier, my previous Power Stroke was a ‘99 (no regen). 

I have read that the DEF tank should last about as long as you oil change interval, but I have also read that you tend to burn more DEF while towing. What has been your experience?

Thank you. 

My last truck was a 2016 F-350 DRW. When not towing the DEF tank did not require filled between oil changes, which I did every 5,000 miles. When towing 16,500 lbs, it required filled after 2,500 to 3,000 miles.

However, I have read that the 2022's use more DEF and may require top ups between oil changes, even when not towing. My 22MY F-450 is still in transit, so can't confirm.

• Like 2

On 4/6/2022 at 8:56 PM, road turtle said:

Good to see that you enjoy it. I have a fifth wheel but got the 7.3 gas. It has been great to tow with but my cameras are awful. The chsml camera is grainy and the lines are off center so it messes with me trying to hitch. I didn’t add the rear camera to the trailer. Do I need to get one In order to see while using the 5er? Backup assist was silly. I feel like it was a waste of money. I got it for the cameras and didn’t realize that it was the steering knob thing. Overall the truck has been fine. I’m not sold on Ford over Ram at this point. I think the shorter truck was more enjoyable to drive and the cameras and interior were nicer on the Ram. That being said the Ford tows like a champ.