Factory Pickup Option

Monoman

If Ford offered the option to take delivery of your Super Duty at the factory, I wonder how many customers would go for it.  I know i probably would.  It would be a shorter drive and cool to see.  Also, it would help alleviate some of the delivery delays and build brand loyalty.  

This is not a new idea.  BMW will let you pick up your car at the factory in South Carolina.  Chevrolet offers Corvette buyers the option to pick up their new car at the Corvette museum. I believe both include a factory tour and some other extras. 

What do you all think?  I know it is not something that could be be instituted overnight but Ford really should consider offering the option for some models. 

Edited by Monoman

Good idea but I'm sure we are in a long line of people with the same idea.  It's actually a little bit farther for me to go to the plant than go to Granger but I'd do to shave a month or 2 off delivery time.

The problem, I'm sure  is rules.  Perhaps Ford rules that could easily be changed, but also rules from associations.  Contracts with dealers and unions etc.  If your dealership is across the street from the plant, you pay $1700 destination fee. It probably pisses you off but that's what everyone pays.  You're actually paying for someone's delivery in Maine or Florida or the left coast but that's how it is. If the destination charge was based on actual shipping cost, no one would order from a dealer outside Kentucky. So, I'm sure it's due to some such agreement that it's not allowed. 

Perhaps Chevy dealers were more accepting of the museum pick up option as I'm sure they get a chunk of that $1k option and it adds to the mystique of that special car.

Edited by 4thTimer
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Rangers09 said:

Factory tour would be great, but 2,600-mile drive home, not so great, especially with current weather.

It is definitely not for everyone but that helps keep the numbers down.  

44 minutes ago, 4thTimer said:

Good idea but I'm sure we are in a long line of people with the same idea.  It's actually a little bit farther for me to go to the plant than go to Granger but I'd do to shave a month or 2 off delivery time.

The problem, I'm sure  is rules.  Perhaps Ford rules that could easily be changed, but also rules from associations.  Contracts with dealers and unions etc.  If your dealership is across the street from the plant, you pay $1700 destination fee. It probably pisses you off but that's what everyone pays.  You're actually paying for someone's delivery in Maine or Florida or the left coast but that's how it is. If the destination charge was based on actual shipping cost, no one would order from a dealer outside Kentucky. So, I'm sure it's due to some such agreement that it's not allowed. 

Perhaps Chevy dealers were more accepting of the museum pick up option as I'm sure they get a chunk of that $1k option and it adds to the mystique of that special car.

Yes I cannot be the first to think Ford should offer the option. However, it could be the right time for them to do it.  I agree, there are probably some rules that need to be amended but that is what they hire lawyers for. Ford already offers the ability to have vehicles shipped to a different dealership than the one that placed the order. ("courtesy deliveries")  Not all dealers allow courtesy deliveries so Ford would set it up factory pickup with "participating dealers".  Companies need to get creative and make some new opportunities. Some folks will complain about the fixed delivery & destination charge but they can always choose to have it delivered to their dealership.  Maybe some long timers like @ice-capades can offer some insight as to why Ford does not offer an option to pickup orders at the Factory.  

Come on Ford! Get creative and make the best of this bad situation. 

• Like 1

• ice-capades changed the title to Factory Pickup Option

The main reason is they are not set up for it. The Factory is not open to the public, and there are no public facilities at the factory. There are also significant liability issues with things like factory tours.

BMW for example does offer factory delivery, but BMW also has a large public reception area and public museum attached to the factory. You still aren't picking up your car off the line, its more like a mini dealership that is on the same property as the factory. As far as I know touring the factory itself isn't an option either. This is more or less a tourism marketing technique geared towards North American buyers who want to visit Germany/Europe anyways. Technically you aren't Purchasing the BMW at the factory either, you are more or less renting it. BMW Collects it back from you and ships it to your dealer at the end of your trip. You complete the sale and paperwork at  your dealership when it is delivered.

Edited by mattdm
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, mattdm said:

The main reason is they are not set up for it. The Factory is not open to the public, and there are no public facilities at the factory. There are also significant liability issues with things like factory tours.

BMW for example does offer factory delivery, but BMW also has a large public reception area and public museum attached to the factory. You still aren't picking up your car off the line, its more like a mini dealership that is on the same property as the factory. As far as I know touring the factory itself isn't an option either. This is more or less a tourism marketing technique geared towards North American buyers who want to visit Germany/Europe anyways. Technically you aren't Purchasing the BMW at the factory either, you are more or less renting it. BMW Collects it back from you and ships it to your dealer at the end of your trip. You complete the sale and paperwork at  your dealership when it is delivered.

Thanks for the reply. That is my point. Ford is not setup for it but could do it if they wanted to.   I think it is a great idea and that Ford should be at least offering it for the flagship models (Mustang and pickups).  

It is my understanding that the BMW factory delivery experience gives you two options.  You drive it home or they ship it to you.