2023 Super Duty Ordering

O.K., kicking around the idea of ordering a new big pickup.  Not in a hurry figure I would order a 2023 F-350 from a local trusted dealer and just wait, current truck is in fine shape and I have a buyer for it whenever I get a new one.  Now that the order banks are at least temporarily open and the 'Build and Price' is fuctional on the Ford website, I took a more serious look.  Can't say I am too happy with they way Ford has bundled up many options.  For instance the 7.3L is a $1705 option which I think is very reasonable considering it comes with the 10R140 transmission, but if you order it the STX Apperance Package is a mandatory option, which now includes pre-collision assist, 360 cameras and aluminum wheels among other things.  Bottom line is all that with the 7.3L sets you back a whopping $9720!  Some other worthwile options like the FX4 off raod package, wheel well liners, and 5th. wheel prep. are still available separately.  All this has really dampened my enthusiasm for the 7.3L, now figure I would probably go with the 6.8L.  The smaller 10 speed, though lighter capacity, seems to be a less troublesome transmission anyway.  I just don't want most of that extra equipment Ford forces you to take with the 7.3L.  Couldn't help but notice the competition still lets you order pretty much what you want.... 

31 minutes ago, MGolden said:

Yes. I am pissed also. You cant get an XL with a 7.3, without all the unwanted extras for a massive increase in cost. I get they are all about high profit sales, but they get no profit when a customer chooses another brand to get what they want.

Then just go with the 6.8.  It’s certainly not underpowered.

• Like 2

I looked at the build and price again, and I can get closer to what I want with an XLT.  Just strange that the 7.3L has so many mandatory (and unrelated to the powertrain) options in an XL.  Frustrating because I could have ordered the exact Super Duty I would have wanted in 2022.  Well, closer anyway because I really would have wanted a 7.3L with a 6R140 transmission. 

Edited by 7Mary3

6 hours ago, 7Mary3 said:

I looked at the build and price again, and I can get closer to what I want with an XLT.  Just strange that the 7.3L has so many mandatory (and unrelated to the powertrain) options in an XL.  Frustrating because I could have ordered the exact Super Duty I would have wanted in 2022.  Well, closer anyway because I really would have wanted a 7.3L with a 6R140 transmission. 

It’s not strange at all.  It’s exactly why Ford built the 6.8 - so they can jack up the 7.3 prices.  

Also noticed that Super Cab availability is very imited, looks like only available as a Lariat.  Not seeing XL crew cabs either.  I wonder if more configurations will be added later in the model year.

Disregard, Build and Price is screwed up.

Edited by 7Mary3