Chevy's New Truck Campaign Slammed

Mark B. Morrow

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We saw that the other night during the playoffs.....I thought the Katrina and WTC images were a bit much. I even commented during the commercial that it was little ridiculous for a truck commercial.

Regarding Ford commercials (in the thread title). I think the absolute worst Ford commercial I've EVER seen is the one for the Freestyle when the family is having a good time together on a mini vacation....and then at the end they drop off the father and he says "Thanks for inviting me this weekend". What the heck was the point of that? Why ruin a perfectly good commercial with such a downer? I know there's a lot of divorced families out there, but jeez...another thing that has no place in a car commercial.

We saw that the other night during the playoffs.....I thought the Katrina and WTC images were a bit much. I even commented during the commercial that it was little ridiculous for a truck commercial.

Regarding Ford commercials (in the thread title). I think the absolute worst Ford commercial I've EVER seen is the one for the Freestyle when the family is having a good time together on a mini vacation....and then at the end they drop off the father and he says "Thanks for inviting me this weekend". What the heck was the point of that? Why ruin a perfectly good commercial with such a downer? I know there's a lot of divorced families out there, but jeez...another thing that has no place in a car commercial.

because about it is reality for about half of the US families ..

as a kid from a divorced family, I was happy this topic finally is being noticed by the mainstream media ... the ad was not very good car ad - you do not get in to mood to buy a Freestyle - but I was very ... hmm.. excited (I guess) that they displayed that this situations happen, and happen to a lot of people ....

Igor

I've seen both, and I actually liked both.

Like it or not all those events are part of our history now. Frankly I think the pont they are trying to make is it's an american truck. Had toyota tried to pull that off, I would be pissed. I can see where they are going with it. Yes it is emotional, thats the point!

As for the ford add, like it or not divorced families are now the majority in this country. I grew up in a divorced household, and never knew anything different as they divoerced when I was 3. My parents couldn't be in the same room for 20 minutes without fighting misserably, so I found it touching that the family could make a mini vacation out of it, having a good time. Unfortuntly I never once have been able to have a family trip with mom and dad, I've allways had to do it with one or the other, and usually with the stepmother I couldn't stand. I think you have to have grown up in that position to understand it. What made it a downer? They had fun and mom and dad are divorced. They didn't fight, they were very cival to each other. It reality folks!

In a market where Chrysler plans on going on tours of churches with Patti LaBelle, and where Chevrolets are shown alongside the resigning Richard Nixon, I guess what Churchill said about democracy can be applied to Ford. 'It's the worst advertising out there, except for all the others' (and actually Ford's advertising is much better lately: contrast the Tiki Barber Escalade commercial with the Dwayne Wade Navigator commercial).

BTW, it appears that Chrysler has dropped their malaprop commercial featuring the inner city and suburb scenes. Although they're still using the "decadence without the shame" tag.

I thought Chevy had a real winner when I saw the beginning of the commercial...

But then, they went and 1) included lots of images most people would rather forget, and 2) made it product specific, which turned the 'shill' factor way up.

Leave out the depressing and hack images (Katrina, 9/11, and hippies in the mud), leave out the product placement, and leave out the asinine "Our Country, Our Truck, If you don't like it, go to Russia" slogan. Just leave the montage and the gruff singing of Mellencamp, and hey, you've got something.

Actually, I'm not sure they said, "If you don't like it, go to Russia", but I think they did. It was certainly implied.

[note to people who take everything I say seriously (you know who you are): That last line was sarcastic]

BTW, some time before this, I noted that Ford needed to portray themselves as American without wrapping themselves up in the flag. Last year, when Ford execs went on about being an American company, this is what I was afraid of.

Edited by RichardJensen

as a kid from a divorced family, I was happy this topic finally is being noticed by the mainstream media ... the ad was not very good car ad - you do not get in to mood to buy a Freestyle - but I was very ... hmm.. excited (I guess) that they displayed that this situations happen, and happen to a lot of people ....

Igor

I am also from a divorced family. My parents are the textbook example of how it should be done. They are still friends after 33 years and I never heard either of them say a negative word about the other. I have also been engaged in the practice of divorce law for 18 years and I wish more of my clients would act in a civil manner where kids are involved.

I agree that the concept fits Ford's Bold Moves campaign, if it is Bold to do the right thing. I am not sure it will sell a lot of Freestyles. I would rather they show some of the terrific attributes of the car like its room and multiple seat configurations.

Igor

That was exactly the point I was trying to make.

Edited by Intrepidatious

In a market where Chrysler plans on going on tours of churches with Patti LaBelle, and where Chevrolets are shown alongside the resigning Richard Nixon, I guess what Churchill said about democracy can be applied to Ford. 'It's the worst advertising out there, except for all the others' (and actually Ford's advertising is much better lately: contrast the Tiki Barber Escalade commercial with the Dwayne Wade Navigator commercial).

BTW, it appears that Chrysler has dropped their malaprop commercial featuring the inner city and suburb scenes. Although they're still using the "decadence without the shame" tag.

I thought Chevy had a real winner when I saw the beginning of the commercial...

But then, they went and 1) included lots of images most people would rather forget, and 2) made it product specific, which turned the 'shill' factor way up.

Leave out the depressing and hack images (Katrina, 9/11, and hippies in the mud), leave out the product placement, and leave out the asinine "Our Country, Our Truck, If you don't like it, go to Russia" slogan. Just leave the montage and the gruff singing of Mellencamp, and hey, you've got something.

Actually, I'm not sure they said, "If you don't like it, go to Russia", but I think they did. It was certainly implied.

[note to people who take everything I say seriously (you know who you are): That last line was sarcastic]

BTW, some time before this, I noted that Ford needed to portray themselves as American without wrapping themselves up in the flag. Last year, when Ford execs went on about being an American company, this is what I was afraid of.

I always thought Chevy had a real winner with the Bob Seeger "Like A Rock" ads. Simple straight forward and effective. The best truck ads from my perspective are the ones that stress toughness and longevity. I did really like the Ford ad where the dog in the back of the Chevy abandons it for the Ford F-150.

Edited by Mark B. Morrow

That was exactly the point I was trying to make.

TV commercials are as much about the brand, as the individual product. Further, the Freestyle is aimed at an audience where the purchasing decision is either made by, or heavily influenced by a woman. Women are, as a general rule (supported by empircal studies) more interested in human relationships than men, therefore a commercial that revolves around an unexpected (at least the first time) relationship tends to support the "Bold Moves" platform. Ditto the F150 commercial where the guy pulls the tree out of the way of his ex-girlfriend's car.

The secret is to find the right balance. If you do nothing but talk about the vehicle's attributes even guys will tune out.

Since hundreds of thousands, or even millions of people are watching that commercial, you want to leave as many as possible with a positive image about your brand. Making commercials that scream "COMMERCIAL" from opening shot to end just doesn't work these days.

TV commercials are as much about the brand, as the individual product. Further, the Freestyle is aimed at an audience where the purchasing decision is either made by, or heavily influenced by a woman. Women are, as a general rule (supported by empircal studies) more interested in human relationships than men, therefore a commercial that revolves around an unexpected (at least the first time) relationship tends to support the "Bold Moves" platform. Ditto the F150 commercial where the guy pulls the tree out of the way of his ex-girlfriend's car.

The secret is to find the right balance. If you do nothing but talk about the vehicle's attributes even guys will tune out.

Since hundreds of thousands, or even millions of people are watching that commercial, you want to leave as many as possible with a positive image about your brand. Making commercials that scream "COMMERCIAL" from opening shot to end just doesn't work these days.

If it helps, my wife (who has a divorce under her belt) was the one who pointed the commerical out to me. She thought it was tacky and took away from the commerical. The commercial would have been just as effective (actually more) had they left out the last 5 seconds.

Of course, I think the dumbest one currently is the Jeep Compass "Bobblehead" commericals. Ugh. :banghead:

One of the commericals I do like is for ther Range Rover Sport going underground in Tokyo. They've been showing that one for at least 2 years and I don't get sick of it. My wife decided she wanted to check one out based on that commerical. (Ouch! My wallet! Sorry hon, ain't gonna happen....) :shrug:

The best truck ads from my perspective are the ones that stress toughness and longevity.

Brain-fart alert:

Please indulge me. I was watching Boyd Coddington on "American Hotrod" last night - that and something on another thread came together in my head to make me think of this: How about putting that icon of toughness - an anvil - into a CNC machine and, through digital magic, milling it into a Ford truck right before the viewers' eyes, then (again through digital magic and tricks of scale) have a man walk up to it, throw some tools in the back and drive away, leaving a pile of wet shavings behind? The truck'd have to be shadow grey of course......

Edited by retro-man

Brain-fart alert:

Please indulge me. I was watching Boyd Coddington on "American Hotrod" last night - that and something on another thread came together in my head to make me think of this: How about putting that icon of toughness - an anvil - into a CNC machine and, through digital magic, milling it into a Ford truck right before the viewers' eyes, then (again through digital magic and tricks of scale) have a man walk up to it, throw some tools in the back and drive away, leaving a pile of wet shavings behind? The truck'd have to be shadow grey of course......

That is actually a great idea.

This commercial is as pathetic as there slogan "American Revolution"

Ford unfortunately is consistant with down right absolute terrible commercials, I can't remember even a decent commercial from Ford. From the flop of the Fusion commercials, 500, explorer, Lincoln and so on they have the worst commercials in the industry and why aren't we hearing about change in this department? Every time they launch a vehicle its always acompanied by terrible commercials that bring no one into the show room.

This commercial is as pathetic as there slogan "American Revolution"

Ford unfortunately is consistant with down right absolute terrible commercials, I can't remember even a decent commercial from Ford. From the flop of the Fusion commercials, 500, explorer, Lincoln and so on they have the worst commercials in the industry and why aren't we hearing about change in this department? Every time they launch a vehicle its always acompanied by terrible commercials that bring no one into the show room.

And those DCX "Dr Z" ads sure worked at getting those unsold trucks out of parking lots around Detroit haven't they??? :hysterical: Yeah, Chrysler sure is 'coming back', 'on a roll', and "the only member of the Detroit Three that is relavent" :cheerleader: Keep saying "300, 300, 3-0-0" and the smoke & mirrors to keep the media distracted, but not much longer....

Edited by 630land

And those DCX "Dr Z" ads sure worked at getting those unsold trucks out of parking lots around Detroit haven't they??? :hysterical: Yeah, Chrysler sure is 'coming back', 'on a roll', and "the only member of the Detroit Three that is relavent" :cheerleader: Keep saying "300, 300, 3-0-0" and the smoke & mirrors to keep the media distracted, but not much longer....

I don't think anyone is denying those commericals were horrid as well.

Not many standouts this year.....

Okay the Doctor Z ads are far worst, but Ford definately needs a new advertising team. Unlike chrysler they hae good products coming out acompanied with total crap advertising, that was a huge issue with the fusion, 500, freestyle, new explorer and so on.

OH MY GOD!! What a bunch of whiney Bush hating liberal hippies retards! (Them, not you guys)When I read the head line I thought well that's a little bit too far but when I watched the Ad those were only a few of many images representing some of our recent history , good and bad. But when I started reading the article I saw the Bush hating liberalism using the ad to take a cheap shot at conservatives in general. Seth Stevenson can kiss my all American ass!!

I should probably leave it at that (the poor ad is just trying to sell trucks, after all, in its own muddle-headed way). But this isn't your basic flag-waving car commercial. It mixes patriotic images with some heart-rending, shameful episodes from our past. And the ambiguity is furthered by the presence of John Mellencamp—a guy who, in a different incarnation, used to make semipolitical statements about the dark side of the American dream. A guy who wrote an open letter in 2003 arguing that the Iraq war was "solidifying our image as the globe's leading bully" and wondering why President Bush hadn't been "recalled" yet. Mellencamp once sang the line, "Ain't that America" with a decidedly bitter tinge. Now he sings the remarkably similar line, "This is our country," and it's hard not to wonder what he means by it.

That's just the start.........

Next he sings, "And I can stand behind the idea to stand and fight," while we see soldiers in a field in Vietnam, helicopters chop-chopping above their heads. Wait, what? Is this a defense of the Vietnam War? A declaration that we pulled out too soon—should have been more willing to "stand and fight"? Is it a sly statement about our present Iraq dilemma? Is Chevy making the salted peanuts argument?

Classic anti-war hippie liberal.....

Maybe the red-state viewer, to whom the ad is likely directed (I assume that's the main target market for pickups), interprets the overall statement as an optimistic, can-do, morning-in-America kind of thing: We've come through the bad times and we're ready to kick some ass again. But to me, this spot feels more like the advertising equivalent of Jimmy Carter's "malaise" speech. It arrives at an awkward, unsettled moment in the American psyche (underscored by the 9/11 and Katrina imagery in the montage), and it almost seems the ad hopes to capture the essence and feeling of that moment. Dredging up all these depressing incidents in our recent past, and then saying, "This is our country," sure seems like an effort to address our "crisis of confidence."

And there we have it. He speaks as if "Red State" viewers are mindless redneck sheep following anything war related.

Screw you Mr. Stevenson!!

Edited by ebritt

What idiot would make a truck add with such political linkage?

I will probably be buying a new truck this year and this guarantees it will not be a Chevy.

Why don't the auto companies and the unions mind their own businees (which they are not doing so well) and stay out of politics. Michigan is going to vote on whether to9 outlaw prefferences for minorities and the Big 2.5 is contributing to the pro prefference side. They should just mind their own busuness.

Remember the company-wide GM commercial with "AM Radio?" THAT is how you use old times to sell cars and feelings about those cars. Even if you ignore the completely transparent patriotic aspects of it, it's simply a poor idea to try and associate your name or product with terrible things that have happened to our country and possibly people your buyers knew. I don't see how "Bush-hating" figures into it.

The Navigator commercial is probably the best I've seen from Ford recently (even though it shirks away from showing the full dash). I don't see all of them since I only watch sporting events on broadcast networks, but it's the most solid. The MkZ ad spot has one massive flaw: The clothes on that scarecrow are probably filthy.

For GM, the H3 commercial with the man "preventing" it from stopping for gas is pretty awesome. They need to drop the "OMG our cars are doing 30mpg or better!" line though. Saying "hey, we're pretty economical too" isn't the same as saying "we're THE most economical choice" as Honda and Toyota do. For the domestics, good isn't enough.

Edited by Kotzenjunge

He speaks as if "Red State" viewers are mindless redneck sheep following anything war related.

His column was snide and condescending, true. But it's a knee-jerk response to ignore what is likely "across the aisle" discomfort with GM's imagery, simply because it comes from the mouth of an arrogant balkanizing self-aggrandizer like Stevenson.

I saw that commercial during the Mets game. I thought it was beautiful and well done. Yeah it was over the top and very emotional but I do think it conveys the spirit of America from a poular culture point of view through out history which I personally found very interesting. I don't think they should view this commercial all the time but as one of thoose big time sport game commercials, it was great.

The Navigator commercial is probably the best I've seen from Ford recently (even though it shirks away from showing the full dash).

... and the 'moustache' as well. I noticed that you only get a fraction-of-a-second glimpse of the front end - from the side, from a distance. You get to see a -lot- of the driver's side and back, though.