7-Pin Charging rate

I've seen all kinds of claims, 3-4a all the way up to 25a.

With my solar system, I can monitor the exact energy and path... ( I forgot to turn off the inverter, but I have the data).

2022 F350D, towing a 5th wheel, solar input current was shut off, so the only source of energy was from 7 pin going into the battery.  i intentionally ran the 5th wheel Lithium battery banks down pretty far.  I have dual alternators, but don't recall the total alternator capacity.

While on the freeway, 68 mph, the 5th wheel battery bank was receiving 15.5a

• Like 2

20 hours ago, road turtle said:

I've seen all kinds of claims, 3-4a all the way up to 25a.

With my solar system, I can monitor the exact energy and path... ( I forgot to turn off the inverter, but I have the data).

2022 F350D, towing a 5th wheel, solar input current was shut off, so the only source of energy was from 7 pin going into the battery.  i intentionally ran the 5th wheel Lithium battery banks down pretty far.  I have dual alternators, but don't recall the total alternator capacity.

While on the freeway, 68 mph, the 5th wheel battery bank was receiving 15.5a

Well, that's what I would expect, and why people install DC to DC chargers, instead.  You probably have about 370 Amps on your alternators, which is irrelevant, in this case.

The charging circuit wire (10 gauge) to the 7-pin outlet and then the RV power cord is only rated to carry 5 amps at 12vdc.  

We have 2 Group 27 FLA Deep Cycle batteries and after 2 days of dry camping without solar and not running the generator, we were fully charged by the time we reached our next campsite.  

The truck has dual batteries and dual alternators, but with a max amp throughput from the truck to trailer at 5 amps, having 397 amps of alternator output is a bit overkill, but it is what it is.