2024 Ford Maverick street performance pickups spotted

3 hours ago, akirby said:

Which killed the last transverse version.  Transverse 2.3 is dead.

If transverse 2.3L is dead, and RWD 2.3L in Mustang is being replaced with newer 2.3L engine, does that mean the older 2.3L will soon be phased out completely?  Since Mustang is getting all-new 2.3L, shouldn’t we expect other 2.3L RWD applications to also transition to new engine within a year or two?

I expect a transverse variant of new 2.3L Mustang engine will eventually show up, perhaps to replace 2.5L Atkinson in hybrid applications.

16 hours ago, Rick73 said:

If transverse 2.3L is dead, and RWD 2.3L in Mustang is being replaced with newer 2.3L engine, does that mean the older 2.3L will soon be phased out completely?  Since Mustang is getting all-new 2.3L, shouldn’t we expect other 2.3L RWD applications to also transition to new engine within a year or two?

I expect a transverse variant of new 2.3L Mustang engine will eventually show up, perhaps to replace 2.5L Atkinson in hybrid applications.

It boils down what is exactly new on it...I have this feeling the old and new 2.3L share identical tooling when it comes to the block. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, silvrsvt said:

It boils down what is exactly new on it...I have this feeling the old and new 2.3L share identical tooling when it comes to the block. 

The only reasons not to use the new one everywhere is either factory capacity ( if they’re not built in the same plant) or cost if the old one is considerably cheaper (including transmission cost of the trannies are also different).

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

My guess (purely a guess) is that the new engine is truly “all new” as Ford stated, and also guess that it is likely based on a slightly different bore spacing.  The new engine is listed as having an 84 mm bore which is common with many manufacturers, and most if not all use 90 mm bore centers to keep engine as short as possible.  That’s what allows the inline-6 variants to be short enough to be practical in smaller vehicles.

Just a guess on my part since older 2.3L required larger than 90 mm bore spacing due to larger bore diameter.  Granted, it’s possible Ford kept previous larger bore spacing and now has option to increase bore and therefore displacement, but I doubt that’s the case.  I have looked but so far have not found details to support either scenario.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silvrsvt said:

I haven't seen any specifications except the press release which doesn't say much.

7 minutes ago, Hugh said:

I haven't seen any specifications except the press release which doesn't say much.

Correct it didn’t address tooling, but it did state “all new”, and also listed smaller bore and longer stroke dimensions.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rick73 said:

Correct it didn’t address tooling, but it did state “all new”, and also listed smaller bore and longer stroke dimensions.

If I'm speculating, perhaps the Valencia variant would be the benchmark.