2023 Escape PHEV Battery Questions

Webspinner

38 minutes ago, Webspinner said:

Can someone tell me if the PHEV has a 12Volt battery as well as the High Voltage batteries?

Also is there any documentation to confirm the advice I've read, to only charge the battery to 80-90%

Yes, it has a 12 volt battery. It is in the rear under the spare tire. I don’t think you will find any Ford documentation on charging only to 80-90% but it is a widely accepted practice to extend battery life.

• Like 1

• ice-capades changed the title to 2023 Escape PHEV Battery Questions
5 hours ago, Texasota said:

I'm curious why it would not apply equally to PHEVs? I have been limiting my Escape PHEV to 80%

I also set up the home charger for a max of 85%.

The Escape PHEV has a lithium ion battery, based on what I read. These type of batteries last longest if not full charged and not fully discharged. The ultimate storage charge is 40 - 60%, but to balance battery life and range, I charge to 85% and endeavour to keep it above 15%. If it drops below 15%, if heading home it goes straight on the charger and if not able to plug-in, I use the engine in hybrid mode.

On 10/4/2023 at 11:10 AM, Webspinner said:

Can someone tell me if the PHEV has a 12Volt battery as well as the High Voltage batteries?

Also is there any documentation to confirm the advice I've read, to only charge the battery to 80-90%

I believe the buffer is higher on the PHEV. I charge my Mach E to 85% but the Escape PHEV to 100% as needed. Ford suggests not charging the Mach E above 90% on a routine basis to preserve battery life, but I have seen nothing similar for the PHEV.

I charge my battery full every time I can. For storage they say just under 1/2 is better. I use as much EV only as possible and I bought this Escape for that reason. By the time this battery goes bad I'm sure a replacement battery choice will be much better with newer technology to go further. I stay off the I-95 as much as possible where constant high speeds will heat up the battery and burn it the fastest.

On 10/10/2023 at 2:58 AM, GaryG said:

I charge my battery full every time I can. For storage they say just under 1/2 is better. I use as much EV only as possible and I bought this Escape for that reason. By the time this battery goes bad I'm sure a replacement battery choice will be much better with newer technology to go further. I stay off the I-95 as much as possible where constant high speeds will heat up the battery and burn it the fastest.

You could select "EV Later" mode when driving high speed on I-95.

I've done a bit in internet 'research' and it seems that for Li-Ion batteries the problem isn't so must charging to 100% but the storage of the full charge. Apparently if you drive everyday, the a full charge wont cause as much deterioration as a full charge and then leave it parked for several days.

Because I only drive 2-3 times a week, my goal is to charge to 80% then top it off on the day that I'm going to drive.
So far I've not had much luck with this setup because the charge system seems to have a mind of it's own. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
I'm wondering if it could have something to do with the app not communicating properly with the car? But the car display also says that it should charge to 80%
There must be a reason why it chooses to charge to 100% and ignore the pre-sets.
I'll attach a screen-shot of my app.

IMG-0774.PNG

• 5 months later...

Wondering if anyone is having 12 volt battery issues..

Was reading somewhere else about quite a few issues

the simplest fix is buying a battery charger and charging it that way occasionally 

The other option was installing a bigger battery.( don't have the specific numbers on front of me )

My question to that is would installing the bigger battery void my warranty?