Ford, Cummins and others break with industry to support strong EPA truck rule

https://electrek.co/2024/02/06/ford-cummins-and-others-break-with-industry-to-support-strong-epa-truck-rule/

The EPA is currently finalizing new rules to limit truck emissions, and a group of manufacturers including Ford, Cummins, BorgWarner and Eaton has broken with the industry to support the upcoming “Phase 3” heavy duty emissions rules, while the rest of the industry, led by Volvo and Daimler, continues to lobby against them.

Hmnn...Focused on "HD" isn't it.  What skin does Ford have in that game? None ..must be a Farley PR move?

At the very least, I can't understand why anyone  would not support a delay in any regulatory issue as I think time is on everyones best interest to slow the jump off the cliff and allow market forces and technology gains to advance.

• Like 2

Hmmm... The "Heavy Duty" market is a small one for Ford, so unless they're planning a major expansion this looks like virtue signaling to maybe get back on the "most ethical companies" list. Cummins and collaborator Eaton are heavily invested here, as Cummins is rolling out spark ignition versions suitable for gasoline, natural gas, and hydrogen fuels and are far enough along that they'll be demonstrating their gasoline fueled B series at Work Truck Week. Cummins has EPA 2027 compliance in hand with new versions of their diesel 7, 10, and 15 liter engines, International's Traton S13 is probably compliant, and a Volvo Truck fanboy tells me their 13 liter will be compliant. But is Daimler's Detroit Diesel ready for any fuels in 2027? And while International and Volvo may have the 13 liter diesel slot filled, have they anything in the pipeline who want bigger or smaller engines and/or alternative fuel capability?

Good thing Cummins is expanding capacity...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can't reduce the carbon footprint of a carbon based planet. Don't even try! They're just wasting billions of dollars. Our bodies are made up of 19% carbon. Without carbon and CO2 we'd be dead! Every human exhales 2.2 lbs. of CO2 per day. The population of the USA and the world has doubled in the last 50 years or so. So let's blame people!  Trees need CO2 to fight off infestation and disease. I submit the climate change agenda is harming the planet. These scientists came up with this greenhouse effect nonsense and people bought into it?!  Really? These scientists say milk and eggs are good one year, second year not, third year good again. Pluto was a planet, now it's not. When a hurricane is coming they draw 10 paths of where it might go. But let's believe these scientists for a moment. They say we've had climate change events (warming AND cooling) for million of years, right?  There were no cars and industrial plants back then! All the cars and industrial plants don't emit what human exhalation, rotting vegetation and volcanoes do!  Oh sure, I'm all for finding alternate energy sources and we shouldn't dump plastic in our oceans. But leave the chemical balance of the earth alone!  Humans take in oxygen, emit CO2. Trees do the opposite. It all happens at low altitude. And this is not by accident. An intelligence was involved!  I'll let YOU decide where that intelligence came from. The Earth will still be here long after man. What? You don't believe that last statement? We're building robots that someday will be building more robots. Apparently we've learned nothing from the Terminator movies! Man is the dumbest species on the planet!

• Like 1

On 2/7/2024 at 11:45 AM, GearheadGrrrl said:

Hmmm... The "Heavy Duty" market is a small one for Ford, so unless they're planning a major expansion this looks like virtue signaling to maybe get back on the "most ethical companies" list. Cummins and collaborator Eaton are heavily invested here, as Cummins is rolling out spark ignition versions suitable for gasoline, natural gas, and hydrogen fuels and are far enough along that they'll be demonstrating their gasoline fueled B series at Work Truck Week. Cummins has EPA 2027 compliance in hand with new versions of their diesel 7, 10, and 15 liter engines, International's Traton S13 is probably compliant, and a Volvo Truck fanboy tells me their 13 liter will be compliant. But is Daimler's Detroit Diesel ready for any fuels in 2027? And while International and Volvo may have the 13 liter diesel slot filled, have they anything in the pipeline who want bigger or smaller engines and/or alternative fuel capability?

Good thing Cummins is expanding capacity...

Daimler is ready.  The Detroit's are further along than Cummins on these types of things already.  They just don't want the new rules implemented due to how much it will impact the cost and quality of new trucks starting in 27CY.