Saw an Edge Yesterday, on the Street

mackinaw

Was in Traverse City, Michigan yesterday (about a four hour drive from Detroit) and saw a new Edge coming toward me on Front Street. No question that this vehicle has presence in that it stands out nicely from the crowd. No Ford 500 boring here.

I also saw a new Chrysler Sebring. What struck me most about this vehicle was how utterly forgetable the design is (especially the profile). The only thing that stood out was that rather unusual grooved hood. Don't know if that is good or bad.

Was in Traverse City, Michigan yesterday (about a four hour drive from Detroit) and saw a new Edge coming toward me on Front Street. No question that this vehicle has presence in that it stands out nicely from the crowd. No Ford 500 boring here.

I also saw a new Chrysler Sebring. What struck me most about this vehicle was how utterly forgetable the design is (especially the profile). The only thing that stood out was that rather unusual grooved hood. Don't know if that is good or bad.

I didn't see it too closely because it was on the highway, but I also saw a Sebring on the a vehicle carrier going the other way. I agree that its design does not stand up, but I'm predicting that the new hard drive that people can put their music on may move some units.

However, I did see an undisguised Lincoln MKX as I was driving by Michigan Stadium in Ann Arbor on Friday. I think it's ready to take on the Lexus RX and Infiniti FX. Definitely looks sharp.

Maybe, but people want music portability, which means iPod integration, not a hard drive in your dashboard. DCX has no iPod integrating head units, as opposed to GM and Ford which will launch them next year.

DCX already has this on all their head units -- it is a dealer add-on. http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2006/jan/08chrysler.html

There also offer Bluetooth on all their cars, and have for over 2 years!

DCX already has this on all their head units -- it is a dealer add-on. http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2006/jan/08chrysler.html

There also offer Bluetooth on all their cars, and have for over 2 years!

That makes the hard drive option easier to use, but also of dubious usefulness.

Also, interesting that Bluetooth availability hasn't made much difference in market performance. Shows you need to get the whole package right. Not just the gadgets.

Thanks for the heads up.

That makes the hard drive option easier to use, but also of dubious usefulness.

Also, interesting that Bluetooth availability hasn't made much difference in market performance. Shows you need to get the whole package right. Not just the gadgets.

Thanks for the heads up.

I think the Bluetooth is dealer issue -- they don't order cars with the option. However that beats Ford on NA that has no Bluetooth on ANY vehicle from the factory(only dealer and the system sucks) --even the new Lincoln's. I though it would be at least optional, as seen on the new Mariner interior it has numbers for the radio with 10 digits, which is what you would use for Bluetooth so you could dial numbers remotely.

Ford North America lacks technology in its cars, among other things.

I think the Bluetooth is dealer issue -- they don't order cars with the option. However that beats Ford on NA that has no Bluetooth on ANY vehicle from the factory(only dealer and the system sucks) --even the new Lincoln's. I though it would be at least optional, as seen on the new Mariner interior it has numbers for the radio with 10 digits, which is what you would use for Bluetooth so you could dial numbers remotely.

Ford North America lacks technology in its cars, among other things.

See, what I don't understand is how using a keypad an arm's length away, which cannot be seen while driving, is an advantage for cell phone integration. I routinely dial with the thumb of the hand I'm holding the phone with, and hold it high enough so I can see the road over the phone--if I have to call someone while driving. Those keypads on the center stack just look useless.

Ford should go voice-activated, as Chrysler does, instead of having that embedded keypad.

One wonders if the dealers are loath to give up a profitable add-on.

why do you think it should be 200?

How much does a speaker/mic combo with Bluetooth receiver go for?

I know a BT dongle for a PC is less $50 bucks and BT headsets can be had for less then that also.

Its not like we are dealing with cutting edge electronics....unlike nearly everything else out there...electronics get cheaper as they age, since they are replaced by newer/better tech..

I still fail to see why something like that which is using proven tech should cost so much. I can see it costing that much when it first comes out, but BT tech for Cars has been on the market for a couple years now.