Oil Change

Hello everyone,

A little bit of a back story. I live in California. I use to own a 2015 F-250 with a diesel engine. I could get between 7000-7200 miles before the computer said it was time to change my oil. I purchased a new 2023 F-250 with a diesel last May. I am a firefighter and used my truck to drive back and forth to work. All freeway miles. I hurt my knee at our other home in Arizona last June and have been off work ever since then. We only use the truck now to go to Arizona and come back. It's about 250 miles round trip. I currently have 6400 miles on the odometer and when I checked the oil life, it says I'm at 58%. We have a very good mechanic shop that we have always used. They do repairs on all types of vehicles but they specialize in diesels. We picked up my wife's Durango today from him and we got into a discussion about the oil life. He knows that I have a maintenance plan with ford for free oil changes but he recommends that I should change my oil well before the computer tells me to.

I would like to have some opinions from the experts on this forum on when they recommend that the oil be changed.

Thank you,

Chris   

The factory interval on gasoline vehicles is roughly 8000 miles, give or take.  Most recommend changing every 5k to be safe.  I would assume the same is true for diesel.  Factory intervals are the bare minimum to get by.

Oil life is also time based.  So the manual says “x”miles or every 6 months.  This is how the oil life monitor works too.  If it sits, the days still clock on.  I don’t use the computer.  I go off odometer and engine hours

An oil change is the cheapest thing you can do to extend engine life. If your service plan has mileage limitations and you can't change it too early, do it yourself or have your shop do it. Do what makes you feel comfortable.