Broken aluminum tailgate??

Posted (edited)

Was recently unloading a golf cart off of my 2020 F350 and the sidewall of the tailgate split at the latch.  I have not been able to find any weight or load limits for the tailgate, but the cables did not brake it was the metal.  Anyone else have any issues similar?  Hesitant to replace the tailgate for this to just happen again.

20240509_145953.jpg

20240509_150007.jpg

Edited by joshnya24
adding photos

On 5/14/2024 at 6:11 PM, MtMan said:

Manual for the 24 F450 states:

• Keep the step load below the total
maximum load of 350 lb (159 kg).

Really not sure what a 2024 F450 owner’s manual reference to a tailgate step has to do with the OP’s 2020 F350 and unloading of a golf cart from the bed?  

17 hours ago, NH_Bulldog said:

Really not sure what a 2024 F450 owner’s manual reference to a tailgate step has to do with the OP’s 2020 F350 and unloading of a golf cart from the bed?  

Tailgates are probably the same or close and a golf cart weighs a lot more than 350 lbs.

23 hours ago, akirby said:

Tailgates are probably the same or close and a golf cart weighs a lot more than 350 lbs.

Tailgate step.  He didn't have the golf cart on the step.  The tailgate has a load rating much higher than 350 lbs. (thought I don't know what it is).  Loading a golf cart on a Super Duty across the tailgate should be a no-brainer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, fordmantpw said:

Tailgate step.  He didn't have the golf cart on the step.  The tailgate has a load rating much higher than 350 lbs. (thought I don't know what it is).  Loading a golf cart on a Super Duty across the tailgate should be a no-brainer.

Further research suggests 500 lbs is the limit - centered.

I wonder if the tailgate had a defect? I load my 480lb (+160lb me on it) motorcycle into my Ranger occasionally. That plus the weight of my 3-piece ramp on the tailgate lip. The bike with me on puts a lot of momentary weight concentrated in a small contact patch as it rides up into the box. I have done this 8 times (unloading too) with no damage whatsoever.

3.jpeg

2 hours ago, fordmantpw said:

Correct this was not on the step....and I had the same thought about loading/unloading on a super duty and this would not have been an issue.

4 minutes ago, akirby said:

Further research suggests 500 lbs is the limit - centered.

That's not as much as I expected (was figuring 700 lbs.).  With an average golf cart weighing roughly 950 lbs (according to a little googling), after adding a driver, that is pushing the limit with half the weight on the gate.  Still, I've seen it done hundreds of times, and I think this was a bad crimp on the metal of the tailgate.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, akirby said:

Agree it was most likely a defect unless the load was right over that side for an extended period.

there really was more weight on the other side as I was on the golf cart while unloading.  I wish I could get a Ford dealer to agree that there was a defect somewhere..thanks for all the responses!

• Haha 1