US sharply hikes tariffs on an array of Chinese imports

https://www.reuters.com/markets/us/biden-sharply-hikes-us-tariffs-billions-chinese-chips-cars-2024-05-14/

As part of the long-awaited tariff update, Biden will increase tariffs this year under Section 301 of the Trade Act of 1974 from 25% to 100% on EVs, bringing total duties to 102.5%, from 7.5% to 25% on lithium-ion EV batteries and other battery parts and from 25% to 50% on photovoltaic cells used to make solar panels. "Certain" critical minerals will have their tariffs raised from nothing to 25%.

More tariffs will follow in 2025 and 2026 on semiconductors, whose tariff rate will double to 50%, as well as lithium-ion batteries that are not used in elective vehicles, graphite and permanent magnets as well as rubber medical and surgical gloves.

A step Biden previously announced to raise tariffs on some steel and aluminum products will take effect this year, the White House said.

A number of lawmakers have called for massive hikes on Chinese vehicle tariffs. There are relatively few Chinese-made light-duty vehicles being imported now. Senate Banking Committee Chairman Sherrod Brown wants the Biden administration to ban Chinese EVs outright, over concerns they pose risks to Americans' personal data.

Given the good chance of former President Trump winning in November and the fact that the current President is in any case moving in the direction of sharply-increased tariffs on Chinese-made automotive products, I wonder if Ford is putting together contingencies for repatriating Lincoln Nautilus production to North America (and hopefully resuming Edge production with a revised version of the C2 Edge currently being produced for the Chinese market)?

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Posted (edited)
45 minutes ago, Gurgeh said:

I wonder if Ford is putting together contingencies for repatriating Lincoln Nautilus production to North America (and hopefully resuming Edge production with a revised version of the C2 Edge currently being produced for the Chinese market)?

That option has to be on the table.  Since they want Louisville for the new EVs they could bring Nautilus back to OAC along with Corsair and later a new Edge.

I do think there needs to be a distinction between vehicles made in China by US companies or in JVs with US companies versus Chinese companies.  It’s the Chinese companies being subsidized by the government that are the problem not what Ford and GM are doing.

Edited by akirby
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, akirby said:

That option has to be on the table.  Since they want Louisville for the new EVs they could bring Nautilus back to OAC along with Corsair and later a new Edge.

Another option might be this:

Stop/Move Mach E production to Louisville along with future EV Mustang coupe and maybe another another product

Build low cost EV platform in Cuautitlán 

One thing I'm noticing is the article claims "EV's".  Is the Chinese built Nautilus an "EV" being a hybrid?  They don't really spell it out, but it implies fully electric vehicles getting the tariff.  No mention of hybrids.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 92merc said:

One thing I'm noticing is the article claims "EV's".  Is the Chinese built Nautilus an "EV" being a hybrid?  They don't really spell it out, but it implies fully electric vehicles getting the tariff.  No mention of hybrids.

A number of lawmakers have called for massive hikes on Chinese vehicle tariffs. There are relatively few Chinese-made light-duty vehicles being imported now. Senate Banking Committee Chairman Sherrod Brown wants the Biden administration to ban Chinese EVs outright, over concerns they pose risks to Americans' personal data.

Currently there is a 27.5% tariff on imported Chinese vehicles, the way I'm reading this is that they want to raise that tariff and basically ban any Chinese EV imports. The US has already told Mexico not to offer any incentives to Chinese automakers to build plants there. I'm guessing that is part of NAFTA. 

2 hours ago, silvrsvt said:

Another option might be this:

Stop/Move Mach E production to Louisville along with future EV Mustang coupe and maybe another another product

Build low cost EV platform in Cuautitlán 

I agree but it seemed like Louisville was already decided.  I assumed it was because of the proximity to the battery plant and BOC.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, akirby said:

I agree but it seemed like Louisville was already decided.  I assumed it was because of the proximity to the battery plant and BOC.

Also depends on what they want to do with the Mach E long term. The EU Explorer EV is very similar to it. The Low cost EVs would be similar in size also for North America, plus if it was built in Mexico, it would be easy to export to the EU, till they spooled up production there for it. 

I'm not sure how the Mach E would play out long term, outside of the Mustang permently having a couple and "sedan" version, but given its old tech, it would make the most sense to maybe kill it off a few years till the EV based Mustang comes long in about 8-10 years. 

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, 92merc said:

Noticed that too, recent articles list Chinese electric vehicles, EV batteries, solar cells etc.

New tariffs on Chinese electric vehicles and batteries, solar cells, medical equipment and other goods are intended to protect U.S. jobs and manufacturers. They could raise prices on certain specific items, experts say, though a broad inflationary impact is unlikely in the short term. The tariffs will be phased in over the next three years, officials said. Those that take effect in 2024 include EVs and EV batteries, along with solar cells, syringes, needles, steel and aluminum and more. Some would not take effect until 2026.

New US tariffs on Chinese electric vehicles, batteries and solar cells could raise consumer prices | AP News

Edited by AM222

7 hours ago, AM222 said:

Noticed that too, recent articles list Chinese electric vehicles, EV batteries, solar cells etc.

Ford is sourcing their LFP batteries from CATL for the entry model Mach E and on the Lightning at least till 2026, when a new battery plant opens in MI that will assemble them.