2014 Fusion engine block leaking

bdegrand

Our 2014 Fusion has an apparent engine block leak. Dealer claims he would give us $2000 for the car. We live in Wisconsin and local shops want $10,000 for replacement engine! We had just placed a new transmission, brakes, the rods, water pump only a short time prior. Any advice?

What engine did it have?  There was a TSB for the 1.5L and, I think, the 2.0L for coolant intrusion into the cylinders.  You might want to look that up.  I don't know if, in 2024, that will still help you, or not, but just wanted to share that information in case it helps.

11 minutes ago, ncffs said:

What engine did it have?  There was a TSB for the 1.5L and, I think, the 2.0L for coolant intrusion into the cylinders.  You might want to look that up.  I don't know if, in 2024, that will still help you, or not, but just wanted to share that information in case it helps.

Thanks for the info. It's a 1.5l and read of pending lawsuit. Car has close to 195,000 miles. Carmax offered $1100! Sitting for 6 months in my garage. Battery dead! New tires, New trans, water pump, tie rods....but hood, roof, trunk has a lot of hail damage! Used cars are so expensive, but am I right in taking $1100....no questions asked? It's my poor daughters car....and it hails a lot in Holmen, Wi!

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, bdegrand said:

Thanks for the info. It's a 1.5l and read of pending lawsuit. Car has close to 195,000 miles. Carmax offered $1100! Sitting for 6 months in my garage. Battery dead! New tires, New trans, water pump, tie rods....but hood, roof, trunk has a lot of hail damage! Used cars are so expensive, but am I right in taking $1100....no questions asked? It's my poor daughters car....and it hails a lot in Holmen, Wi!

Take the $2K from the dealer, give her your '22 Escape, and buy yourself something new.

HRG

Edited by HotRunrGuy
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 6/3/2024 at 5:43 PM, bdegrand said:

Yes if I were in your situation, I would take the $2000 the dealer offered and not worry about it, like @HotRunrGuy said.  The car is really old, has almost 200k miles on it, and has served you well but its time is up.

Edited by ncffs
Would, not should

By the way, just in case anyone is wondering, that 1.5L (once they fixed the issues) is a really nice engine for just a general all-around family car.  My wife has that in her 2020, which is one from after those were fixed, and we're very happy with it.  It's a good, solid engine, and we really like that car.  I still prefer my Fusion Sport with the 2.7L twin-turbo V6, but I'll definitely stand up and say that 1.5L is a good engine for just general use.

19 hours ago, akirby said:

The owners manual shows you how to put it in neutral.  wwww,motorcraftservice.com .

Akirby, I downloaded the manual instructions. Thanks for the advice. 👍👍

I read that if I hook up a batterycharger/not trickle charger....that it would allow 

me to unlock the park position and place in nuetral! Any comments....black negative...red positive terminals!

15 minutes ago, bdegrand said:

I read that if I hook up a batterycharger/not trickle charger....that it would allow 

me to unlock the park position and place in nuetral! Any comments....black negative...red positive terminals!

Yes or a jump starter box.

13 minutes ago, akirby said:

Red positive, black to engine block or some other grounded location is safer.

Could I just plug the charger into the wall outlet and hook both terminals...red pos...black neg?