FOMOCO Launches

To me it seems that the 2008 Model year is going to be a little strange for FOMOCO since the bulk of its new models are going to updates (significant thought they may be) rather than all new or completley redesigned models. It also appears that many of these models will debut earlier in 07 than is typical for Ford. Usually Ford launches cars in early or late Fall. For the 2008 model year though it appears that various models will launch much earlier than that. We have also heard that several critical models F-150 and Fairlane especially, will come in 2008, but when? I want to use this thread to discuss FOMOCO's reveal and launch schedules over the next few years. This is not the place to complain about the lateness or delay of products because while important is discussed ad nauseum elsewhere. Maybe later I will talk about Mazda, Jag, Volvo, etc.

Escape, Mariner, Tribute/CX-4-5: Not all new, but with all new sheetmetal and interior with significant feature upgrades (std airbags and other safety stuff). We have seen the Mariner and will probobly see the Escape and or Tribute/CX-5-5 at LA in Nov. Everything I have read/heard has these cars launching in early spring, am I correct? Much has been said how disappointing it was that the triplets didn't recieve the D35 (duratec 3.5 v6) or the D30+ (fusion's/6's version of the D30). I have never heard the possibility that the triplets will recieve in a year or two the rumored smaller version of the D35, what I will call the D30#2. This engine could make somthing like 230-240 hp without stepping on the D35's shoes and would hopefully produce better fuel economy and or be apart of some future v6 hybrid program. Its also possible that at this time the triplets could recieve the rumored 2.5l version of Ford/Mazda's 2.3l I4 engine that will make its debut in the 08 Mazda 6. This engine could make between 170-180 hp and of course would be ideal for the triplet's hybrid program. Of course the 08 triplets could be a short term prodject like the 08 focus and only exist for 3 years or so. This could mean that engine upgrades could wait until 2011 or somthing when an all new Escape, etc debuts, hopefully on the C2, CD3, or EUCD platforms.

Superduty: This updated truck was revealed this fall and is launching in January, correct?

Focus: Yes, it will still be on C170, but the platform is still competetive and this is a short lifespan product anyway. It will have all new sheetmetal, interior (the big 2 problems with the 05+ model) and a new version, a coupe. I hope, but do not know, wether or not the Focus will get rest of the 2.3l I4 family. In a good world the 2.3 150 hp from the base Mazda 3 will be standard or at least optional with an auto (unlike in the current Focus St) Performance versions would be nice but are not neccessary at this point, save the money to spend on a range of perfomance models for the C2 car. This significant update has gotten early favorable reviews from some people in the automotive consulting world that I have read, so lets hope they are right. This car has to be revealed at one of the autoshows this year since Ford will want to show their small car to as many people as possible, I'm hoping in Detroit. As to when this car will launch I have not heard, any info out there?

Five-Hundred, Montego, Freestyle, Monitor: Another significant update with new front and rear styling, engine, transmission, and possible interior updates for the big D3's. I still think a Merc Freestyle is in the cards (my favorite name being Monitor) since Merc will need a 7 passenger vehicle other than the Mountaineer and would fit perfectly with Merc's new target market. We know that the 500 will debut in Detroit and the Freetstyle and Montego will debut in Chicago. I have heard conflicting reports on the launch of these cars, some reports say spring of 07 others say summer 07.

Now we leave the realm of fact (more or less) and enter murkier ground.

Fairlane/MKT: This all new D3 based Large CUV will replace the Freestar in the market, competing with Minivans and extra large CUV's (read GM's Lambdas). We know it will get the D35 and maybe a large 4l "D40" version down the line. We know it will be built in Oakville Ontario alongside the Edge/MKX. I have a feeling this will be revealed this autosho season since Ford needs a "wow" car to show this season next to its only updated (however nicely, I still think the updates will bring positive results) 08 lineup. As to its launch date I dont know. Optimistically I would hope for a fall 07 debut and pessimisticlly I see a 08 fall debut. This leads me to think it will debut in the winter or spring of 08. Any solid evidence anyone has on the subject will of course be welcome. A Lincoln version with a possibility of a larger 3.7V6 or a V8 and unique sheetmetal and interior will debut at the same time.

F-150/MKLT: We know that an all new model under the leadership of Mark Fields is comming in 08, of course when is the big thing. Does this mean in the summer/fall of 2008? or does it mean in early or fall of 09? we shall see. The MKLT should also be redesigned at this time.

Mustang: Another "Fields" project that has recieved extra attention. Hopefully it will recieve a version of the D35 as standard fare, and at least 2 V8 powered models initially and more special models as time goes on. We know it will be an updated platform but with new sheet metal and interior, all ready to compete with Camaro and Challenger.

MKS: Another question as for timing. We know it will debut in 08, whether in the actual year or as a model year is unclear. We know it will be built in Chicago, have std AWD, and will recieve a Lincoln only 3.7l version of the D35 V6, making somewhere between 280-300hp. It also might get a turbo version making 350 hp. Of course a V8 might arrive at some point, but again, things are murky.

MKC: This much rumored about uber lincoln will come a year or two after the MKS, probobly on a extended version of the D3 platform and will have std AWD. It will have some sort of v8 in it, I'm hoping for a Jaguar engine myself, or a version of the Yamaha v8 used by Volvo.

Fusion/Milan: We know that in 08 Fusion and Millan will get updates, probably a new front fascia and some interior upgrades. We also know that it will get an I4 hybrid option. Since this car will come on the heels of the 08 Mazda 6 I am also betting that we will see the new D25 (2.5l I4) and the D30#2 engine in the car. Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see an ST and or SVT model at the same time.

B-cars/Fathom/Faction/Bronco: Sometime between 2009 and 2011 Ford will get several B cars based on the new global B1 platform that may debut together or over a period of 2 years. My hope is they translate the Reflex concept into production as the Faction, with a std and st/svt performance model and price it between $15-18,000. The Fathom would be the Yaris/Aveo competitor. If the C2 focus will not bring a hatch to the US then I say make this car a 5door hatch only to distinguish it from the Focus. Give it funky styling but definatly the most conservative design out of the 3. Bronco. Ford needs a small cuv thing below the escape and I loved the Bronco conept. I, many other young people, wont care that it can't go offroad, it doesn't matter. Make it look good, price it low, and it will compete with the Compass, Patriot, Caliber, HHR,etc just fine.

Ranger/F-100, Explorer: Based on schedules these could debut for the 2010/11 model year. I think Ford should pair the Explorer Ranger together. Make the Ranger bigger and the Explorer smaller than they are today. Give the Explorer wild trucky styling taking cues from the 08/09 F-150/ Superchief concept. Make this compete with the Grand Cherokee and 4 Runner, with v6 and v8 options. The Ranger should kill off the Sport Trac by relplacing it with a crew cab. Have it share engines and interiors with the Explorer but make the front-end different to give it a different feel. This way Ford can consolidate 3 products into one component set, somthing that has to be done in markets that are shrinking. Of course smaller pickups might see a resurgance because of fuel prices or change in tastes.

Focus c-max, Mercury S-Max: When C2 arrives in the USA Ford or Mercury should get a versio of the Focus C-MAX to compete with the Element, HHR, PT Cruiser, etc. It would also replace the Focus hatch and wagon in the lineup while bringing in new buyers. I do think it would be cool for Mercury to either get a the Euro Ford S-max or somthing like it, that kind of car really fits with Mercury's new image.

Ford Falcon/Merc Maruader: Another speculation product, I think Ford/Merc could use some RWD cars based off of the Mustang/d2c platform. Share engines with Mustang. These cars could be slotted in size between the Fusion and the Fivehundred but priced at or above the D3 cars. Think about it. the Fusion is for smaller, budget, asian/japanese buyers. 500 is targeted at the large fwd/awd family car market intetested in inexpensive luxury and space. These cars could be made in small numbers (100,000 total for both brands) because they would share mechanicals with the mustang program. Thier smaller size would make them handle better than the LX cars and any GM RWD cars that are rumored and provide a different feel.

Anyway, I will finish this up with another post on Mazda, PAG, and maybe some more Lincoln/Merc ideas for Cougars and MK9's.

That's a very complete list you've assembled, ds91776. I don't have any official info, and I'm sure someone else will post more, but I think the E/M/T Job1 date is in January, so correspondingly they should be at dealers March-ish.

I believe the Job1 dates for the Focus & D3s are in March and May, but I can't remember which one is when. Assume two months from Job 1 to enmasse availability and by next summer the Mustang will be the "old" Ford car at the dealership. Just don't mention the Panthers.

Scott

To me it seems that the 2008 Model year is going to be a little strange for FOMOCO since the bulk of its new models are going to updates (significant thought they may be) rather than all new or completley redesigned models. It also appears that many of these models will debut earlier in 07 than is typical for Ford. Usually Ford launches cars in early or late Fall. For the 2008 model year though it appears that various models will launch much earlier than that. We have also heard that several critical models F-150 and Fairlane especially, will come in 2008, but when? I want to use this thread to discuss FOMOCO's reveal and launch schedules over the next few years. This is not the place to complain about the lateness or delay of products because while important is discussed ad nauseum elsewhere. Maybe later I will talk about Mazda, Jag, Volvo, etc.

Escape, Mariner, Tribute/CX-4-5: Not all new, but with all new sheetmetal and interior with significant feature upgrades (std airbags and other safety stuff). We have seen the Mariner and will probobly see the Escape and or Tribute/CX-5-5 at LA in Nov. Everything I have read/heard has these cars launching in early spring, am I correct? Much has been said how disappointing it was that the triplets didn't recieve the D35 (duratec 3.5 v6) or the D30+ (fusion's/6's version of the D30). I have never heard the possibility that the triplets will recieve in a year or two the rumored smaller version of the D35, what I will call the D30#2. This engine could make somthing like 230-240 hp without stepping on the D35's shoes and would hopefully produce better fuel economy and or be apart of some future v6 hybrid program. Its also possible that at this time the triplets could recieve the rumored 2.5l version of Ford/Mazda's 2.3l I4 engine that will make its debut in the 08 Mazda 6. This engine could make between 170-180 hp and of course would be ideal for the triplet's hybrid program. Of course the 08 triplets could be a short term prodject like the 08 focus and only exist for 3 years or so. This could mean that engine upgrades could wait until 2011 or somthing when an all new Escape, etc debuts, hopefully on the C2, CD3, or EUCD platforms.

Superduty: This updated truck was revealed this fall and is launching in January, correct?

Focus: Yes, it will still be on C170, but the platform is still competetive and this is a short lifespan product anyway. It will have all new sheetmetal, interior (the big 2 problems with the 05+ model) and a new version, a coupe. I hope, but do not know, wether or not the Focus will get rest of the 2.3l I4 family. In a good world the 2.3 150 hp from the base Mazda 3 will be standard or at least optional with an auto (unlike in the current Focus St) Performance versions would be nice but are not neccessary at this point, save the money to spend on a range of perfomance models for the C2 car. This significant update has gotten early favorable reviews from some people in the automotive consulting world that I have read, so lets hope they are right. This car has to be revealed at one of the autoshows this year since Ford will want to show their small car to as many people as possible, I'm hoping in Detroit. As to when this car will launch I have not heard, any info out there?

Five-Hundred, Montego, Freestyle, Monitor: Another significant update with new front and rear styling, engine, transmission, and possible interior updates for the big D3's. I still think a Merc Freestyle is in the cards (my favorite name being Monitor) since Merc will need a 7 passenger vehicle other than the Mountaineer and would fit perfectly with Merc's new target market. We know that the 500 will debut in Detroit and the Freetstyle and Montego will debut in Chicago. I have heard conflicting reports on the launch of these cars, some reports say spring of 07 others say summer 07.

Now we leave the realm of fact (more or less) and enter murkier ground.

Fairlane/MKT: This all new D3 based Large CUV will replace the Freestar in the market, competing with Minivans and extra large CUV's (read GM's Lambdas). We know it will get the D35 and maybe a large 4l "D40" version down the line. We know it will be built in Oakville Ontario alongside the Edge/MKX. I have a feeling this will be revealed this autosho season since Ford needs a "wow" car to show this season next to its only updated (however nicely, I still think the updates will bring positive results) 08 lineup. As to its launch date I dont know. Optimistically I would hope for a fall 07 debut and pessimisticlly I see a 08 fall debut. This leads me to think it will debut in the winter or spring of 08. Any solid evidence anyone has on the subject will of course be welcome. A Lincoln version with a possibility of a larger 3.7V6 or a V8 and unique sheetmetal and interior will debut at the same time.

F-150/MKLT: We know that an all new model under the leadership of Mark Fields is comming in 08, of course when is the big thing. Does this mean in the summer/fall of 2008? or does it mean in early or fall of 09? we shall see. The MKLT should also be redesigned at this time.

Mustang: Another "Fields" project that has recieved extra attention. Hopefully it will recieve a version of the D35 as standard fare, and at least 2 V8 powered models initially and more special models as time goes on. We know it will be an updated platform but with new sheet metal and interior, all ready to compete with Camaro and Challenger.

MKS: Another question as for timing. We know it will debut in 08, whether in the actual year or as a model year is unclear. We know it will be built in Chicago, have std AWD, and will recieve a Lincoln only 3.7l version of the D35 V6, making somewhere between 280-300hp. It also might get a turbo version making 350 hp. Of course a V8 might arrive at some point, but again, things are murky.

MKC: This much rumored about uber lincoln will come a year or two after the MKS, probobly on a extended version of the D3 platform and will have std AWD. It will have some sort of v8 in it, I'm hoping for a Jaguar engine myself, or a version of the Yamaha v8 used by Volvo.

Fusion/Milan: We know that in 08 Fusion and Millan will get updates, probably a new front fascia and some interior upgrades. We also know that it will get an I4 hybrid option. Since this car will come on the heels of the 08 Mazda 6 I am also betting that we will see the new D25 (2.5l I4) and the D30#2 engine in the car. Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see an ST and or SVT model at the same time.

B-cars/Fathom/Faction/Bronco: Sometime between 2009 and 2011 Ford will get several B cars based on the new global B1 platform that may debut together or over a period of 2 years. My hope is they translate the Reflex concept into production as the Faction, with a std and st/svt performance model and price it between $15-18,000. The Fathom would be the Yaris/Aveo competitor. If the C2 focus will not bring a hatch to the US then I say make this car a 5door hatch only to distinguish it from the Focus. Give it funky styling but definatly the most conservative design out of the 3. Bronco. Ford needs a small cuv thing below the escape and I loved the Bronco conept. I, many other young people, wont care that it can't go offroad, it doesn't matter. Make it look good, price it low, and it will compete with the Compass, Patriot, Caliber, HHR,etc just fine.

Ranger/F-100, Explorer: Based on schedules these could debut for the 2010/11 model year. I think Ford should pair the Explorer Ranger together. Make the Ranger bigger and the Explorer smaller than they are today. Give the Explorer wild trucky styling taking cues from the 08/09 F-150/ Superchief concept. Make this compete with the Grand Cherokee and 4 Runner, with v6 and v8 options. The Ranger should kill off the Sport Trac by relplacing it with a crew cab. Have it share engines and interiors with the Explorer but make the front-end different to give it a different feel. This way Ford can consolidate 3 products into one component set, somthing that has to be done in markets that are shrinking. Of course smaller pickups might see a resurgance because of fuel prices or change in tastes.

Focus c-max, Mercury S-Max: When C2 arrives in the USA Ford or Mercury should get a versio of the Focus C-MAX to compete with the Element, HHR, PT Cruiser, etc. It would also replace the Focus hatch and wagon in the lineup while bringing in new buyers. I do think it would be cool for Mercury to either get a the Euro Ford S-max or somthing like it, that kind of car really fits with Mercury's new image.

Ford Falcon/Merc Maruader: Another speculation product, I think Ford/Merc could use some RWD cars based off of the Mustang/d2c platform. Share engines with Mustang. These cars could be slotted in size between the Fusion and the Fivehundred but priced at or above the D3 cars. Think about it. the Fusion is for smaller, budget, asian/japanese buyers. 500 is targeted at the large fwd/awd family car market intetested in inexpensive luxury and space. These cars could be made in small numbers (100,000 total for both brands) because they would share mechanicals with the mustang program. Thier smaller size would make them handle better than the LX cars and any GM RWD cars that are rumored and provide a different feel.

Anyway, I will finish this up with another post on Mazda, PAG, and maybe some more Lincoln/Merc ideas for Cougars and MK9's.

Job 1 for the 2008 Escape is Jan 2, 2007 so I would assume that launch will be a few weeks after...

Regarding the Focus: The base engine in the Mazda 3 is a 148hp 2.0l. Nothing to whine about BTW because i always felt the improved MZR line should be in the Focus anyway.

Very good article. I hope and wish it comes to fruition sooner then later.

Semi-Official Info on the D3 Triplets:

The Five Hundred will Debut in Detroit auto show. Montego and Freestyle will debut in Chicago Auto show.

Assembly starts in the Summer.

There will be NO Mercury version of the Freestyle - Ford has caused a LOT of confusion - the vehicle was developed, and then dropped - and now Ford is using the now-non-starter mules to test the D35 - making people talk about the Mercury version again - but there are NO plans for Mercury Magellan any more.

source: http://www.chicagotribune.com/classified/a...ssifiedcars-col

Igor

Edited by igor

The Five Hundred will Debut in Detroit auto show. Montego and Freestyle will debut in Chicago Auto show.

There will be NO Mercury version of the Freestyle - Ford has caused a LOT of confusion - the vehicle was developed, and then dropped - and now Ford is using the now-non-starter mules to test the D35 - making people talk about the Mercury version again - but there are NO plans for Mercury Magellan any more.

Igor

Interesting quote from the article...

That's why another crossover is coming in 2008, a version of the concept Fairlane to give Ford five-passenger (Edge), seven-passenger (Freestyle) and eight-passenger (Fairlane derivative) models. That should cover the market.

Which of course is stupid, because the female clientle being targeted by Mercury is more suited to crossover SUVs than traditional BOF SUVs like the Mountaineer. Both the Edge & Freestyle seem like natural fits for Mercury. More so than the Mountaineer & even the Mariner, in my estimation.

I'm ready to axe Mercury and focus on Ford & Lincoln, but that's off topic.

Scott

Editted to add: But thanks for the "semi-official" launch info on the D3s. I hadn't heard that before. Any word on the Focus?

Edited by waymondospiff

Editted to add: But thanks for the "semi-official" launch info on the D3s. I hadn't heard that before. Any word on the Focus?

no ... none of this is official - so it just appear sporadically, and randomly .. so it just happened (IMO) that the Trib was nosy enough (and interested enough) to ask about all this ...

Igor

I've heard reports of the 08 Focus just having the 2.0L engine in it, and dropping the 2.3L from the lineup

Well, it won't really be missed. The 2.3L is only available in a single sedan model which (before rebates) is way too optimistically priced. And detuned to only 151hp, it falls behind the competition. With Mazda getting 148hp out of the 2.0L MZR, this would be a suitable replacement for the 2.3L.

Of course, if Ford wanted to recapture some of the Focus's old sporting flair, a worked-up Focus ST/SVT/RS/GT model would be nice. Either a turbo 2.3L or even a turbo or supercharged 2.0L would fit the bill.

Or perhaps the 2.3L is being phased-out fleetwide for the new 2.5L MZR? One can hope...a 2.5L MZR would be very nice in a Focus.

Scott

Great post, a nice change from the 'why cant they keep Taurus forever' ones.

The 2.3L is only in the ST Focus sedan [why?], which I have never seen on the street. Should just simplify to 2.0L with more HP. C2 is coming, too, so some can sleep better, and stop harping about no C1.

Edited by 630land

Nice list!!!

The Mercury Monitor was a non-starter though, just so you can update (see one of the recent MF Motor Trends)...

Dead nuts on about the Reflex (codename B1 platform), all kinds of cars coming off that bad boy...

Rumor mill has it that Mazda is "going forward" on their Kabura concept that eerily looks like Reflex, could it be that the Reflex is just a Mazda wearing Ford skin? Bummer...

The new F-150's will be here late summer early fall as a 09 model. Can't really give any spec.'s or clues as to what it will look like. We tested a couple of different engines and transmissions and used the current body style with a new floorpan.

next Summer or Summer 2008?

Nice list!!!

The Mercury Monitor was a non-starter though, just so you can update (see one of the recent MF Motor Trends)...

Dead nuts on about the Reflex (codename B1 platform), all kinds of cars coming off that bad boy...

Rumor mill has it that Mazda is "going forward" on their Kabura concept that eerily looks like Reflex, could it be that the Reflex is just a Mazda wearing Ford skin? Bummer...

g ...

Kabura = RWD

Reflex = FWD/AWD ..

they always looked similar - they were never in any way related ...

And yes - a reliable rumor has it that Kabura is a go.

could you clarify what you mean by "dead nuts on about the Reflex" ? does the means Reflex is a no starter, and will only become a design study/inspiration for other vehicles?

could you hint on the NUMBER of B1 vehicles coming into US under Ford and Mercury brands?

Igor

Edited by igor

Strong rumors around dearborn have Ford working on two more vehicles, one, a lincoln mustang, eh Mark Mark X? two, a trucklet based on D3, like honda rl, hopefully not looking like that ugly thing at all. No timing yet, so must be several years away.

Igor

I beg to differ, my friend....

http://news.windingroad.com/auto-news/ford...nticello-spied/

take note....