Does Ford Have The Time To Do Things Quickly?

Does Ford Have Time to do Things Quickly?

Richard Jensen, BlueOvalBlogs

jensenblog70.jpg

Scuttlebutt in a Wards’ translation of a German newspaper, is that some Ford execs want to import certain EU models as Mercuries.

Elsewhere, it is reported that Lincoln will be showing a concept car derived from the next generation Falcon platform.

Certain other rumormills (autocar and Autoweek) suggest that Ford is also considering a RWD sedan and station wagon/crossover based on the 6th Gen. Mustang due in 2010, allegedly to be called Mustangs.

With Ford having recently mortgaged most of its North American holdings, in order to fund the buyout and plant closure costs that will come due in 2007, these contemplated actions should be considered carefully, and not leapt into, as the long term consequences of failure here are greater than any benefits from success.

Let’s take these suggestions one at a time–

First, importing European models as Mercuries: Ford has, in the past, imported models from Europe, and tried to sell them here. They’ve never had any kind of sustainable success with it. When they went the extra step and built vehicles here that were designed in Europe their first effort (the Contour/Mystique) proved a disappointment, and their second effort, the Focus, worked to the extent that it did work, because there were considerations given to the North American market in the design.

Now, we see an urge on the part of certain Ford execs, to imitate GM one more time, and turn Mercury into Saturn. Mercury, so the argument goes, can become Ford’s “import” division, designed to appeal to “import” buyers.

Such thinking is completely out of touch with the way consumers make purchasing decisions. In a market with two dozen “import” brands, consumers do not need to look at Mercury if they want an “import” product. If you want to attract “import” buyers to Mercury, you’re going to be competing at an absolute disadvantage. You have essentially defined your target customer as someone who would NEVER consider buying your car.

In a customer driven company your mission is to get your consumption customer (the people who actually buy your product) as close as possible to your target customer (the people you expect to buy your product).

If you have defined your target customer as someone who by the definition itself (e.g. “an import buyer”) is not interested in your product, you are basically setting yourself up for failure.

The strategy that Ford is pursuing with Mercury now is one that will pay dividends in the long run. Since Ford has now secured its financial stability over the next two years they should consider themselves free from the pressure to pursue such short term solutions as “import cars from Europe”, which solutions almost never work anyway.

The bottom line here is that Ford definitely should rationalize its global midsize/fullsize architectures. However, they should refrain from assuming that what sells in Germany will sell stateside as a Mercury.

–

Now this business about a RWD Lincoln based on the Ford Falcon:

Among the enthusiast community, the absence of a credible Lincoln sports sedan is much discussed. Smart-aleck remarks about the MKZ as a Mexican built Mazda6 are not infrequent. Yet, let’s compare what Ford is considering with the Falcon based Lincoln, with the complaints consistently directed at the MKZ.

One is a Lincoln based on a midpriced Ford vehicle that was designed, by and large, in a foreign country.

The other is….. a Lincoln based on a midpriced Ford vehicle that was designed, by and large, in a foreign country.

Therefore, we should not expect great things from this Lincoln Falcon.

Very likely, this concept is being built to determine effective demand for such a thing as a performance oriented Lincoln sedan.

I say go for it. Find out if there’s a market for this thing, and then build it. Or don’t.

But if they build it, don’t expect this thing to spank the BMW 5-Series, or win comparos. Its roots as an Ozzie Falcon will never be forgotten, and will be known to the kind of finicky snooty status conscious folks that buy 5-Series Bimmers and E-Class benzes. The best you should expect is charitable reporting that acknowledges that it’s come a long way from the Outback, etc.

With this project, however, I worry that there’s top-down pressure at Ford to greenlight it, and I fear such pressure will affect the quality of research performed.

Ford does not need another project rammed through the approval process, simply because some exec’s got the hots for this car.

–

Now the “Mustang” sedan and crossover:

This is one of the wildest of rumors…. A Mustang wagon? Sure. Because everyone at Ford has forgotten about the Probe.

In reality, I expect this is an exaggeration of a few ideas that have been kicking around Ford for quite a while. The first is the interest in a RWD sedan for Ford NA. Not the Crown Vic, mind you, but a Falcon based RWD sedan to sell to Mustang customers that have acquired obligations necessitating a back seat.

Ford, at present, does not offer a performance oriented sedan, and I think it’s about time they research whether they should. They are apparently prepared to do so with Lincoln, so why not see if there’s a market for a 4-door Thunderbird for the folks that have outgrown their Mustangs?

Apart from that, Ford’s apparently debating what to do with the next Explorer. At the showroom of tomorrow, reportedly, Ford had a sketch of a significantly altered Explorer–one that was far less ‘trucky’ in appearance.

If Ford is following sound market research methodologies, they are shopping this concept sketch around to selected Explorer, Trailblazer, 4Runner, and minivan owners, to gauge response to this product. One which may perhaps be unibody, with an incorporated ladder type frame a la the Edge (and Range Rover), in order to support higher towing capacity.

That’s the smart thing….

OTOH, they may be playing the old Detroit “You can’t have too much of a good thing” game, and seriously planning to call this larger sedan and crossover pair Mustangs, with Mustang front ends and so forth.

–

There is an opportunity at Ford, with these contemplated actions, to strike a bold path as a customer oriented manufacturer. A company that will not build cars that do not have markets. A company that will not try quick and easy solutions, regardless of pressure within or without the company. Quick solutions tend to backfire, and companies that do not readjust their way of doing business in this industry will only hobble from one crisis to the next. You need look no further than Chrysler to see what comes of changing personnel, instead of changing the way you do business.

This is one of the most idiotic articles written that I have seen in years.

Ford must change the way they are doing things and the article takes the road less traveled and jumps off the deep end:

Imported Fords as Mercurys. The author tries to build a case of failure based on rather specious examples. Had the author any credibility, it would have offered the Mercury Capri as an example (Mk i and Mk ii) of where Ford can succeed in this area. Mercury did not sell other European Fords as was alleged - rather Merkur was supposedly an independent effort that was neither Ford nor Mercury; Mercury imported a small Aussie convertible in the 1990's but that wasn't a European Ford. The author then suggests that because the American verison of the Mondeo was a sales disappointment that the world car concept or imported Ford would necessarily follow. Too bad the author misses the point that the Mondeo of that generation was a wonderful chassis wrapped in a body that was less than desirable in BOTH European and Domestic NA form. This car was a disappointment wherever it was sold so using this to justify Ford's not going ahead with importing European Fords as Mercurys is laughable. The example of the Focus will be dealt with below.

The case FOR turning Mercury into the Ford equivalent of Saturn is compelling. First, Ford now has its act together in Europe and is building fine cars with crisp styling and are sales successes. Perhaps the author of this piece, having his head planted internally, has missed the calls to have both the new Mondeo and European Focus by LOYAL FORD OWNERS brought over to the United States. With Mercury right now being nothing but a rebadged Ford and nothing more, it makes logical sense to reorient Mercury in a way that is so different from Ford so as to appeal to buyers who would never consider a Ford OR a Mercury.

Importing cars from Europe with minimal changes would give a clear and distinct alternative to more bland Ford vehicles and would create a true impression that Mercurys aren't just tarted up Fords. Plus, with the wide range of products that are in Europe that Ford builds, having the ability to widen the product offerings of Mercury remains delicious since so little is sold in the Mercury dealership anyway. Furthermore, being able to design products in Europe with NA emissions and safety requirements (or if Europe's are stricter) would allow an easy migration of vehicles to the United States that would be able to command higher transaction values than the current MerFords. In a way, Ford by importing European Fords would be able to Acurize Mercury while moving Lincoln more upscale and more exclusive thus rendering it more unique than it has been.

The case of having delicious imported Fords, something that couldn't have been said two decades ago, is clear and compelling. The market is ripe to allow Ford to foster a Mercury so unlike a domestic Ford that to not do it is a far dumber idea than to try it. Furthermore, the idiotic author of this piece suggests that this would a short term offering from Ford (importing Mercury) and such a move would need to be a long term experiment to gradually destroy the old fart Mercury image and to create a new bolder face for Mercury. Most certainly a short term importation would be imprudent but that isn't what us advocates for the move are asking for anyway.

With regard to the Mustang wagon and sedan. Evidently that was a farce piece anyway and should be dismissed.

The rest of the article was surprisingly absent of importance. Conjecture on those items is like contemplating what you'd do with lottery winnings. Nice to do, but quite useless to consider.

Ford must change the way they are doing things and the article takes the road less traveled and jumps off the deep end:

Imported Fords as Mercurys. The author tries to build a case of failure based on rather specious examples. Had the author any credibility, it would have offered the Mercury Capri as an example (Mk i and Mk ii) of where Ford can succeed in this area. Mercury did not sell other European Fords as was alleged - rather Merkur was supposedly an independent effort that was neither Ford nor Mercury; Mercury imported a small Aussie convertible in the 1990's but that wasn't a European Ford. The author then suggests that because the American verison of the Mondeo was a sales disappointment that the world car concept or imported Ford would necessarily follow. Too bad the author misses the point that the Mondeo of that generation was a wonderful chassis wrapped in a body that was less than desirable in BOTH European and Domestic NA form. This car was a disappointment wherever it was sold so using this to justify Ford's not going ahead with importing European Fords as Mercurys is laughable. The example of the Focus will be dealt with below.

The case FOR turning Mercury into the Ford equivalent of Saturn is compelling. First, Ford now has its act together in Europe and is building fine cars with crisp styling and are sales successes. Perhaps the author of this piece, having his head planted internally, has missed the calls to have both the new Mondeo and European Focus by LOYAL FORD OWNERS brought over to the United States. With Mercury right now being nothing but a rebadged Ford and nothing more, it makes logical sense to reorient Mercury in a way that is so different from Ford so as to appeal to buyers who would never consider a Ford OR a Mercury.

Importing cars from Europe with minimal changes would give a clear and distinct alternative to more bland Ford vehicles and would create a true impression that Mercurys aren't just tarted up Fords. Plus, with the wide range of products that are in Europe that Ford builds, having the ability to widen the product offerings of Mercury remains delicious since so little is sold in the Mercury dealership anyway. Furthermore, being able to design products in Europe with NA emissions and safety requirements (or if Europe's are stricter) would allow an easy migration of vehicles to the United States that would be able to command higher transaction values than the current MerFords. In a way, Ford by importing European Fords would be able to Acurize Mercury while moving Lincoln more upscale and more exclusive thus rendering it more unique than it has been.

The case of having delicious imported Fords, something that couldn't have been said two decades ago, is clear and compelling. The market is ripe to allow Ford to foster a Mercury so unlike a domestic Ford that to not do it is a far dumber idea than to try it. Furthermore, the idiotic author of this piece suggests that this would a short term offering from Ford (importing Mercury) and such a move would need to be a long term experiment to gradually destroy the old fart Mercury image and to create a new bolder face for Mercury. Most certainly a short term importation would be imprudent but that isn't what us advocates for the move are asking for anyway.

With regard to the Mustang wagon and sedan. Evidently that was a farce piece anyway and should be dismissed.

The rest of the article was surprisingly absent of importance. Conjecture on those items is like contemplating what you'd do with lottery winnings. Nice to do, but quite useless to consider.

Euh....... Mr. Jensen won't be happy of your critic..... lol

Can't wait to watch the fight!

Wow. I certainly don't agree with the Mercury and Aussie bits, and feel they were poorly defended.

A simple solution-to BOTH-is to make the proposed Euro Fords into Mercuries for the Chicago show, and to get the Aussie chassis in question visible at shows at as well.

One resounding but correct criticism of Ford is their "isolation" form the wants of the customers. Even the journalists that did the "showroom of tomorrow" tour have printed grumbles that it was underwhelming...and these same journalists are the ones doing "quickies" about Euro and Aussie Fords-always with a "you can't have one" comment to make a very flowery review negative.

While I do NOT subscribe to letting the magazine hacks chart the company's course, the online auto community has rung in loudly and clearly about C1 Focii, the new Mondeo, the Galaxy/S-Max, and the Aussie rwd platforms. That Ford seemingly doesn't read or react to this just confirms the views of those hating out on the brand.

Bring 'em over and show 'em, and pay some inters to gauge interest. That by itself will show the car enthusiasts and the general public alike what Ford has in its pocket, and may aid perception a great deal.

What I will say, I will say simply and directly:

Product is not king. Perception is king.

Product affects perception, but not as dramatically as many who are car enthusiasts would like to believe.

Exhibit A: PERCEPTION of product quality lags ACTUAL quality across the board. And it does not lag by a small amount. It lags by an amount that demands pricing concessions from companies that are believed to produce products of inferior quality.

Exhibit B: The failure of a coordinated 5 year (allegedly $5 billion) campaign at Cadillac to draw customer interest from their target audience (30-something import buyers).

That's all I'm going to say in support of my arguments (I could post sources, but one requires a subscription to Ad Age, and, besides, I'm not lying--you'll have to trust me :D ).

The conclusions I've drawn are based on arguments that have, as a basis, the lag in perception of quality for Ford and GM and the failure of an extensive campaign on Cadillac's part to draw interest from their target customers.

Edited by RichardJensen

Ok, perception is king, fine, I gotcha there. Then riddle me this. Regardless of product, there is no way in hell I would buy a vehicle off of the four Ford dealers around me.

Oh, wait, that's a statement, isn't it? <grin>. Seriously, I hate to steer everything back to my resounding "FIX THE FRIGGIN DEALER" stance, but you give me little choice. There is not a damn thing wrong with the 500 that about 50HP couldn't fix. In fact, even underpowered, as a Honda or Toyota, it would have sold quite well.

The Fusion is an outstanding car in every way. The Focus even isn't all that bad. The Escape is good and will only get better.

But as long as the PERCEPTION you speak of, the dealership, is the same (Popcorn machine, ripped seats in the showroom, greasy salespeople, etc) Ford can hang it up.

Bottom line is that I agree with you, perception is the problem. Ok, so take the MAJORITY of that 23 billion dollars and fix the DEALERS FIRST!!!

Edited by bec5150

On the dealer thing: Your metro has been targeted for consolidation and not all Ford dealers are as you describe (you should see the Ford dealership here--cookies, pop coffee in the service bay and for shoppers, and an 'open' floor plan where you negotiate your purchase without being locked in a tiny room, and the whole place is clean and well-lit).

But patience is required. With the dealers, as with everything else, there are no quick fixes.

On the dealer thing: Your metro has been targeted for consolidation and not all Ford dealers are as you describe (you should see the Ford dealership here--cookies, pop coffee in the service bay and for shoppers, and an 'open' floor plan where you negotiate your purchase without being locked in a tiny room, and the whole place is clean and well-lit).

But patience is required. With the dealers, as with everything else, there are no quick fixes.

One of the most successful dealers around these parts is Hidy Honda, where I bought my CR-V. They flat rock. I mention this because one of the Ford dealers has been bought out by HIDY!! I'll let you know how it goes, but I hope that things change. It HAS to happen!!

*Sniff* *Sniff* Sixcav is that you? Something fishy is going on here... :sos:

:ohsnap:

The way I say it, there seems to be a general belief in the enthusiast community that Ford of Europe is putting out the best products that they ever have, and that these products are among the best in their respective categories in comparison to the competition. A much more competitive Ford than the one that we have here. How can tapping into this gold mine be a bad thing? I'm not suggesting that we blindly take all of the models and ship them here, but it seems pretty obvious the Mondeo, C-max, Focus, (and the Australian Falcoln) are heavy hitters.

I think Saturn's strategy is going to pay off for that brand; let's face it, these Opel models are modern, distinctive looking vehicles, whether you like them or not. My image of the brand has already changed significantly with these new (and soon to be released) products.

Product may not be as important as perception, but I think exciting product is the first step in changing perception. In a market so saturated with products from all over the globe, Mercury needs to stand out a little. They should NOT be mildly re-styled Fords. Of course you still have to maintain quality and reliability to derive owner loyalty, but that's always going to be the case. Over time, hopefully Ford will become more like Toyota and also be seen as a "safe pick" by car shoppers.

Basically my point is that Ford has been UNABLE to differentiate Mercury on its shared platforms for decades. To continue on the current strategy is a guaranteed failure in this highly competitive market. If Mercury were to adopt a similar strategy to Saturn, I believe it would finally provide the brand differentiation that we have all been desperate for. It's not about making Mercury the "import fighter" as GM's goal was for Saturn from the beginning. It's about differentiation from Ford, that's it, and nothing else.

It's about differentiation from Ford, that's it, and nothing else.

Differentiation is not an end in itself. Any differentiation must be justifiable, and it seems that the costs associated with importing European Fords (especially decreased margin, due to selling the vehicles here, not in Europe, but also factoring in the costs of adjusting manufacturing in Europe, so that U.S. spec powertrains are installed) would not pay off in dramatic sales increases at Mercury.

Not to belabor the point, but it has proven extremely difficult for auto manufacturers to alter buyer demographics or brand identity. Therefore, any strategy for Mercury must have realistic and obtainable goals, and should view the marketplace as it truly is (saturated and extremely competitive), and not as we would wish it to be (that Ford could make a 'big splash' for Mercury by importing European Fords and badging them Mercuries).

One additional thought: if we are not going to import the entire Mercury lineup, we end up with an odd mixture of rebadged Fords (Mariner, Mountaineer, Montego), and unique vehicles (Mondeo, C-Max) and rationalizing the lineup so that there's a common theme that buyers can latch onto becomes difficult.

Edited by RichardJensen

i won't wade into the merits of the story as a whole, but i can tell you that euro-fords-as-mercuries might go a long way toward keeping loyalists in the fold. After owning a dozen Fords, I've purchased a Mazda6 wagon, a Dodge van and a Volkswagen GTi in the last year because Ford didn't have a competive product, certainly not one I or my family drooled over.

Ten years ago, I bled Ford blue. Now? Not so much. And if I -- and you guys -- aren't excited by what we see, why on earth would anybody else be?

Isn't one of the pans to remove the "Ford of EUR" and Ford USA divisions? Also aren't the next gen Focus C and Fusion CD going to be from shared platforms throughout all of Ford?

By the time a current "European" Ford is Federalized, and brought over. The next gen CD's will be out, anyway.

Also, no 'import buyer' will set foot in a Lincoln-Merc dealer with 78 y/o salesmen with huge beer guts, polyester suits, and reeking of Brute.

Differentiation is not an end in itself. Any differentiation must be justifiable, and it seems that the costs associated with importing European Fords (especially decreased margin, due to selling the vehicles here, not in Europe, but also factoring in the costs of adjusting manufacturing in Europe, so that U.S. spec powertrains are installed) would not pay off in dramatic sales increases at Mercury.

Not to belabor the point, but it has proven extremely difficult for auto manufacturers to alter buyer demographics or brand identity. Therefore, any strategy for Mercury must have realistic and obtainable goals, and should view the marketplace as it truly is (saturated and extremely competitive), and not as we would wish it to be (that Ford could make a 'big splash' for Mercury by importing European Fords and badging them Mercurie4s).

One additional thought: if we are not going to import the entire Mercury lineup, we end up with an odd mixture of rebadged Fords (Mariner, Mountaineer, Montego), and unique vehicles (Mondeo, C-Max) and rationalizing the lineup so that there's a common theme that buyers can latch onto becomes difficult.

Richard, you definitely make some valid points regarding some "issues" that would need to be addressed prior to going forward with a plan like this. My post was about the broader debate; that the euro move need not be about making Mercury an "import fighter" like Saturn, but to differentiate the brand from Ford as its primary goal. I think they could find a way to make the euro cars fit into the lineup, but it would still have to make financial sense of course. It's worth looking into I believe, and the reason is primarily because of a comment that you made that I agree with, that the marketplace is "saturated and extremely competitive." It is this very reason that Ford must dramatically differentiate Mercury if the brand is to survive. The strategy of mildly re-styling Ford's will not work in this hyper-competitive martetplace. Euro Ford's may not create a "big splash" as you've mentioned, but it sure beats the present strategy. Of course, if an alternate vision for truly differentiating Mercury can be presented utilizing North American platforms and factories, I'm all ears.

Here we are in the U.S. with this desperate need for more new products more quickly, and this vast empire of global resources that we don't seem to be able to take advantage of.

What are your thoughts?

Ten years ago, I bled Ford blue. Now? Not so much. And if I -- and you guys -- aren't excited by what we see, why on earth would anybody else be?

This is the problem with conventional car sales. Its been too much of "waiting for a hit", when designing something for ONE target customer is a way more effective use of design, build, and marketing.

That is the point, this is the very heart of the matter, there is a dividing line in the sand, and this is how its going to be from now on.

There will be cars that you absolutely despise, and there will be cars that you wish you could clone yourself so you can drive 2 of them. Its all about how you make your products, its a target customer.

You all probably have very strong feelings one way or the other about Cirque de Soliel, you either love it or hate it, but it IS a very profitable business.

These guys finally have a website

Example of what I'm talking about

We can look forward to these kinds of cars from Ford. You're not going to like EVERY car that they make, but that's a good thing, individualism is back in a big way.

Anyone here have the target customer listing for the three brands? I seem to have misplaced my literature when I cleaned my desk out.

If you are worried about the perception of a European Ford re-badged as a Mercury, here's a Bold Move: Bring it to the US, badge it as a "Ford of Europe", advertize it as a "Ford of Europe" and sell it to people with a flair for Eurpoean products who recognize that Ford is a significant european player with attractive products. If Mazda can do it with their version of the current Focus/Mazda3, Ford can do it. Do not expect huge volume, at least not at first, and let it build. Let the "Ford of Europe" brand do what it can without disrupting the traditional Ford lineup. It is that easy. Just do it.

If Ford builds sharp, quality, competitive cars in Europe why can't they build them here? And if they're that good then, yes, bring 'em on. Can't sell any worse than what they've got now.

As for a Mustang sedan and wagon; It's a good idea as long as they don't use the word Mustang and they don't make it look much like a Mustang. Attention Ford: Please don't bastardize the only product you've got that sells well! I understand that they need a cheap RWD 4 door chassis to compete with the upcoming Grand Prix/Impala stuff on the Zeta platform, but I sure hope they don't cheapen the integrity of the Mustang to get that accomplished. Use the chassis but make it a wholly different car.

Perhaps that's all these rumors are about; Ford trying to figure out a way to compete with the new stuff from GM.

When were these words spoken?

They're desperate in Dearborn. Fords, Lincoins, and Mercurys are dead in the water. Sales have bogged down to a twenty-year low. Smaller big cars, rebates, even fresh front-drivers have failed to snag the public's fancy. The dealer body is so disgruntled that a few shameless retailers have proposed a merger with Chrysler. Around the glass house (Ford's world headquarters), they're singing a tune slightly different from the one you hear on TV. More like, "There could be no tomorrow even half as bad as today."

All is not lost, however. There's still hope. As a matter of fact, this hour of desperation has rocked the Ford boat hard enough to shake some good sense into the organization.

Planners are paying heed to critics. The company president has gone on record espousing fun-to-drive cars.

Car and Driver, March 1981

WOW history really does repeat itself! :o

Edited by 2005Explorer

When were these words spoken?

They're desperate in Dearborn. Fords, Lincoins, and Mercurys are dead in the water. Sales have bogged down to a twenty-year low. Smaller big cars, rebates, even fresh front-drivers have failed to snag the public's fancy. The dealer body is so disgruntled that a few shameless retailers have proposed a merger with Chrysler. Around the glass house (Ford's world headquarters), they're singing a tune slightly different from the one you hear on TV. More like, "There could be no tomorrow even half as bad as today."

All is not lost, however. There's still hope. As a matter of fact, this hour of desperation has rocked the Ford boat hard enough to shake some good sense into the organization.

Planners are paying heed to critics. The company president has gone on record espousing fun-to-drive cars.

Car and Driver, March 1981

WOW history really does repeat itself! :o

Then 5 years later we had the Taurus, a nice T-bird, the Escort was selling well....

I hope history repeats itself and Ford rights the ship!!