CR-V Bumper Observation

ANTAUS

Today I was sitting in a parking lot for a bit, while awaiting well, spying really, to see if a friends husband is having an affair...ANYHOW, being there was nothing better to do than WAIT, I had a Honda CR-V parked in front of me, one of the new ones, and I noticed something.

Remember the previous generation CR-V with the bumper mounted spare tire on the rear hatch...how it scored badly in crash tests because it would require a whole new door practically, just on the bumper basher test.

So the new one no longer has a hatch mounted one, and I'm thinking that was a much better common sense "About time" revelation. And I'm looking at the cut-out lines for the new hatch...SAME THING again. The door hatch lower lip, IS the top half of the bumper. That will definatly be an issue with the slighest thunk.

Take a look.

LINK-Edmunds.com

Wow. Bummer.

I don't think the CRV is the only one guilty of this though. While others may not be using the tailgate as part of the bumper cover, with the tight body clearances and "seemless" looking bodies consumers are demanding now, even a traditional liftgate would quite possibly get damaged in a minor fender bender when the bumper gets pushed into it.

One more way for insurance companies to steal our money I guess. :banghead:

The lower part is separate from the tailgate, like a plug-in lip. It's made of painted plastic.

In case of a crash, anyone who gets a new rear bumper will get that part as well.

Structurally speaking, the tailgate doesn't get affected at all.

Edited by pcsario

You dont need a floating bumper. I've been bumped a few times when I had a 97 Tbird, 99 Mustang, and 03 LS and I never received any damage. And only on one of those the person had substantial damage, she had a 93 Celica where the bumper sunk in but I'm sure it could have been popped back out with maybe just paint chip/crease damage.

You dont need a floating bumper. I've been bumped a few times when I had a 97 Tbird, 99 Mustang, and 03 LS and I never received any damage. And only on one of those the person had substantial damage, she had a 93 Celica where the bumper sunk in but I'm sure it could have been popped back out with maybe just paint chip/crease damage.

Damage to bumper covers can be extremely deceiving. If the impact was hard enough to crease a plastic (flexible) bumper cover, the bumper itself located behind the pretty little cover is likely destroyed and in need of replacement. While I'm sure the Celica you mentioned could have been made to "look pretty" again with minor work, there's probably another story to be told if you removed the cover to inspect the bumper itself.

The cars you mentioned are still kind of in that "transition" period between fully floating and fully integrated bumpers. On the Mustang and T-bird in particular (on the rear anyway) there is still a substantial gap between the bumper cover and the decklid. Compare it to an '05 Mustang where that gap no longer exists. What you get is a good chance that the bumper cover, even in a minor collision, will push itself into the sheet metal hard enough to deform it.

What tipped her off was when she received the cellphone bill, there were many calls for a specific number. Then when she checked his phone for text messages (she herself would send him a few a day), she would constantly see that ALL messages were deleted. Usually, thats not something you delete on a constant basis.

Yes he was actually. She already placed a tracking device on his vehicle, it's just while she was at work, she needed for me to follow him to certain addresses, and in the process, BUSTED kissing the afairee right outside her condo.

Whats sad though, is being at work (in her case) and suddenly getting a text message on the cellphone with a pictrure of your mate, cheating on you.

But she hasn't comfronted him yet. She's switching some accounting around, closing a bunch of shared credit cards, and under-going the process with a lawyer before she mentions anything.

There's just some people that aren't ment to marry, so stay single, don't put someone else through this mental rollercoaster I say.