• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First D3 to go away?

It looks like from this article, that the Sable, and the Taurus X maybe getting the Axe.

That will leave only the MGM as the full-size survivor.

So much for the carline that won't die!

Link: http://www.detroitnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a.../808110332/1148

I doubt that the Grand Marquis will survive for long as it (just like the Sable) doesn't fit into the new plan that has been set out for Mercury.

I doubt that the Grand Marquis will survive for long as it (just like the Sable) doesn't fit into the new plan that has been set out for Mercury.

Here is the latest and greatest plan for Mercury and Lincoln.

Link: http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic.../807260344/1148

It changes each and every month, as Ford is clueless as a car company.

When it needs cash, the panther stays, when it feels it doesn't need cash, it is gone.

Ford is willing to give up its police market share, which is a big chunk, when you consider they charge $26,000 for a P71, and you can get a fully loaded M75 for around $16,000 to $20,000, at retail.

Don't tell me that the 140 MPH speedo, the extra coolers, for the transmission, and engine oil systems cost $6,000 to $10,000 to make.

And let us not forget, that if you buy a P71, and don't want a radio, or side molding installed on the front doors, you get charged a delete charge.

I never ever saw a standard radio in the truck, of a P71, but I did see door moldings thrown in there!

And the same with the rear passenger door lock parts!

IMO Ford limited the P71, 72, 73 and 74 to fleets to keep the price high. The M75 can be had for a lower price, to keep the assembly chugging along. And add the TC starting at about $45,000 retail.

My prediction is when the panther line is shut down, Ford will go into BK within two years, as it will have no more cash cows to pay for the other lines, it is losing money in.

Here is the latest and greatest plan for Mercury and Lincoln.

Link: http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic.../807260344/1148

It changes each and every month, as Ford is clueless as a car company.

When it needs cash, the panther stays, when it feels it doesn't need cash, it is gone.

Ford is willing to give up its police market share, which is a big chunk, when you consider they charge $26,000 for a P71, and you can get a fully loaded M75 for around $16,000 to $20,000, at retail.

Don't tell me that the 140 MPH speedo, the extra coolers, for the transmission, and engine oil systems cost $6,000 to $10,000 to make.

And let us not forget, that if you buy a P71, and don't want a radio, or side molding installed on the front doors, you get charged a delete charge.

I never ever saw a standard radio in the truck, of a P71, but I did see door moldings thrown in there!

And the same with the rear passenger door lock parts!

IMO Ford limited the P71, 72, 73 and 74 to fleets to keep the price high. The M75 can be had for a lower price, to keep the assembly chugging along. And add the TC starting at about $45,000 retail.

My prediction is when the panther line is shut down, Ford will go into BK within two years, as it will have no more cash cows to pay for the other lines, it is losing money in.

Well said. I've believed for a long time that F-series/E-series sales keep the company afloat, while the Panthers have paid for Fords sedan experiments/flops over the years (too many to list).

I would personally love to see the Panthers outlive the D3s period, but at this rate it would not suprise me to see Ford slap the D3 under the F-150 to get somebody, anybody to buy one (D3 that is).

Okay, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the MKS going to be way more expensive than a Sable? Lincoln has always been a full step up from Ford, while Mercury has been a quarter step up. Please tell me Ford isn't going to go Chrysler on us and cheap up the Lincoln marque. All that will do is drive off the current customers.

As for the MGM, I say they will sell them as long as possible, and a lot of LM dealers will be crying when its gone.

Okay, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the MKS going to be way more expensive than a Sable? Lincoln has always been a full step up from Ford, while Mercury has been a quarter step up. Please tell me Ford isn't going to go Chrysler on us and cheap up the Lincoln marque. All that will do is drive off the current customers.

As for the MGM, I say they will sell them as long as possible, and a lot of LM dealers will be crying when its gone.

Mercury will become premium small to midsize cars. Lincoln will become premium midsize to large vehicles. .

I bought a 2008 Ford Taurus in March, and I have no regrets, except that I am the only person under that age of 60 that can be seen driving one. :)

You don't see many on the road, although they are easy to find out side of the local nursing home. It is a good car, but I don't think this is the demographic Ford was looking for.

Why do people despise the D3 so?

Because the billions Ford has wasted on that platform could have been spent on the Panther to give it a proper updating.

I could be buying a new Colony Park wagon, but instead they offer the same old crap everyone else is selling.

Because the billions Ford has wasted on that platform could have been spent on the Panther to give it a proper updating.

I could be buying a new Colony Park wagon, but instead they offer the same old crap everyone else is selling.

By the time they spent billions updating the Panther, it would have been the D3, or in a best-case scenario, would have been GRWD. Of course, we all know everyone here would complain about a truly modern unit body RWD sedan replacing the old man BOF Panthers though, so that solution would be marked a disaster by you guys also.

Colony Park? Seriously??? Don't you think Ford might want to attract a buyer under the age of 85?

Edited by NickF1011

Why do people despise the D3 so?

Because it's really what anyone over 40 knows as a MIDSIZED car under the guise of being full sized. Yeah, interior room is ALMOST as roomy as panther. But it LOOKS midsized and the trunk is smaller and, most importantly, it RIDES like a FWD midsized car compared to the boulevard ride of the Panther. Granted, few "get" the boulevard ride concept, but if they knew it, they'd embrace it.

Because it's really what anyone over 40 knows as a MIDSIZED car under the guise of being full sized. Yeah, interior room is ALMOST as roomy as panther. But it LOOKS midsized and the trunk is smaller and, most importantly, it RIDES like a FWD midsized car compared to the boulevard ride of the Panther. Granted, few "get" the boulevard ride concept, but if they knew it, they'd embrace it.

Umm...the D3's have MORE interior volume and MORE trunk space than all of the Panthers, save for the long wheelbase versions (and it still bests those in trunk space).

I "get" the boulevard ride concept...and will steer as far clear of it as I can as long as I am capable of piloting an automobile myself.

Umm...the D3's have MORE interior volume and MORE trunk space than all of the Panthers, save for the long wheelbase versions (and it still bests those in trunk space).

I "get" the boulevard ride concept...and will steer as far clear of it as I can as long as I am capable of piloting an automobile myself.

Can you post the dimensions of both vehicles? I just can't buy that the Taurus is bigger ANYWHERE than the Grand Marquis, for instance.

Taken from Edmunds.com:

2009 Taurus Specs:

Exterior

Length: 201.8 in. Width: 74.5 in.

Height: 61.5 in. Wheel Base: 112.9 in.

Curb Weight: 3741 lbs.

Interior

Front Head Room: 39.6 in. Front Hip Room: 53.7 in.

Front Shoulder Room: 57.8 in. Rear Head Room: 38.8 in.

Rear Shoulder Room: 57.6 in. Rear Hip Room: 53.6 in.

Front Leg Room: 41.3 in. Rear Leg Room: 41.2 in.

Luggage Capacity: 21.2 cu. ft. Maximum Seating: 5

2009 Mercury Grand Marquis

Exterior

Length: 212 in. Width: 78.3 in.

Height: 56.3 in. Wheel Base: 114.6 in.

Curb Weight: 4135 lbs.

Interior

Front Head Room: 39.5 in. Front Hip Room: 57.4 in.

Front Shoulder Room: 60.6 in. Rear Head Room: 37.8 in.

Rear Shoulder Room: 60 in. Rear Hip Room: 56.1 in.

Front Leg Room: 41.6 in. Rear Leg Room: 38 in.

Luggage Capacity: 20.6 cu. ft. Maximum Cargo Capacity: 21 cu. ft.

Maximum Seating: 6

D3 is within an inch in every spec to the Panther, but yet 11 inches shorter and 4 inches narrower.

Taken from Edmunds.com:

D3 is within an inch in every spec to the Panther, but yet 11 inches shorter and 4 inches narrower.

Except in shoulder & hip room & that's where you're going to notice it when you've got three adults or three kids in car seats across the back.

Maybe I'm not in the mainstream, but I'm more interested in how a vehicle performs at 6, 8, or 10 years of age, rather than when it is new and under warranty.

The Panther is a proven platform that does all I want it to do, and I am able to maintain myself.

This "modern" vehicles are all rather ugly, and full of crap that will break when the car is 6, 8, or 10 years old.

I saw a 78 Lincoln Town Coupe today - the Lincoln and Continental Owner's Club is having their National Eastern Meet in town this weekend. I've get to see vehicles from when Lincoln meant something more than rebadged designs from overseas.

Considering I've owned both, here's my take.

Front seat area. I almost never sat 3 across in my Grand Marquis. So it was always 2 up front. The foot area is a little tighter on my Montego, but not bad. Overall, I like the seating better in my Montego.

In the back, overall the Monte is better. More foot room. Long trips that is nicer to me, and my kid agree's. I have put 3 in the back on both cars and I can say the Marquis was better. But not by much.

For me, the better safety and gas mileage is what won me over.

That being said, I do miss my old rear wheel drive at times. I still have thoughts of either finding an all black P71 to mod out with a super charger, or just find a Marauder. But alas, I have more ideas than time or money...

Nick: Old Boy... :shades:

:hysterical: You Do?!?

Sheesh I haven't been here in a few months and you still don't get it. Notice D3 is headed out the door as predicted by yours truly... how many years ago? :hysterical:

Meanwhile, I seriously doubt you have a clue about the boulevard ride. If you did you'd know the current "panthers" fear no one in the handling dept, either ...except the Mustang and the 'vette... just barely... :finger:

The key problem with D3 is that it doesn't appeal to the traditional Taurus buyer who wants a Camry killer thats just as economical but bigger, and its a roaring joke to the "panther mafia". And I should know, since I'm the Dean of the "panther mafia" AND we have Taurii in the family... approved by yours truly... and NONE of them are ever going to be that bloated gas hog D3 cr :censored: p.

Nick: Old Boy... :shades:

:hysterical: You Do?!?

Sheesh I haven't been here in a few months and you still don't get it. Notice D3 is headed out the door as predicted by yours truly... how many years ago? :hysterical:

Meanwhile, I seriously doubt you have a clue about the boulevard ride. If you did you'd know the current "panthers" fear no one in the handling dept, either ...except the Mustang and the 'vette... just barely... :finger:

The key problem with D3 is that it doesn't appeal to the traditional Taurus buyer who wants a Camry killer thats just as economical but bigger, and its a roaring joke to the "panther mafia". And I should know, since I'm the Dean of the "panther mafia" AND we have Taurii in the family... approved by yours truly... and NONE of them are ever going to be that bloated gas hog D3 cr :censored: p.

D3 is headed out the door? What's that all-new 2010 Taurus? What's that new 2009 Flex? What's that all-new 2010 MKT? Where is the new Crown Vic? Where is the new Grand Marquis? Where is the new Town Car? Oh yeah. Those are the ones going away, not the D3.

I've driven PLENTY of Panthers in my day. You don't need to try to lecture me on their excellent "boulevard" ride. They feel like riding on a Lay-Z-Boy through town. Not exactly exhilarating, even at 9/10th's.

I'm GLAD the D3's are a "roaring joke" to the Panther Mafia. That tells me Ford did something right with them. People who like the Panthers are literally a dying breed.

Gas hog? How do you know? Have you ever driven a D3 far enough that you had to put gas in it?

Yes, it is a big car, and thus uses more fuel than a Honda Civic, but I need a large car because I am big man. That is why I chose this car over a Toyota Camry. I compared the interior dimensions values published for both, and they were close, but you need to sit in the D3 to appreciate the size. If you are 5'9" and 160lbs you will not understand; I am 6'3" and over 240lbs. It is much bigger and is extremely comfortable on long trips. There were no other cars this roomy in the same price range.

I bought the car because it is big, and uses marginally more fuel. It is no better or worse than other manufacturers of the same model year. It uses regular fuel, which saves me money compared to a slightly smaller car that requires premium.

The panther is an obsolete design, and the market will decide when it will die.