08 Escape/Mariner begin production

igor

Considering the poor performance, poor braking, and poor gas milage of these two "new" vehicles, and the strong competition from several other manufactures. I think that the ONLY people that will buy these things are people who do NO research or people who are looking for a bargan well below the current "invoice pricing"...

I can see 3-5K rebates in the VERY near future for these two vehicles.....

Can you say rental fleet???

Considering the poor performance, poor braking, and poor gas milage of these two "new" vehicles, and the strong competition from several other manufactures. I think that the ONLY people that will buy these things are people who do NO research or people who are looking for a bargan well below the current "invoice pricing"...

Ridiculous. I did a vast amount of research and am a full member of the Society of Automotive Engineers. I'm going with the 2008 Mercury M

Ridiculous. I did a vast amount of research and am a full member of the Society of Automotive Engineers. I'm going with the 2008 Mercury Mariner Hybrid--it's the most efficient SUV, it handles nicely, it uses regular gasoline, and it is perfectly stylish.

The article in the link stated that the 2008 Escape (gasoline models) will have a 2 MPG improvement. Does this mean they are actually putting the six-speed transmissions on the 2008 Escapes? I didn't realize that this would be a quick change if that was true. While 2 MPG may seem minor, I think this is a nice increase since the new EPA estimates start with the 2008 models.

My 2003 Escape has drums in the rear, when they added the four wheel disc in 05 it had a negligible impact on braking performance. If the one brake result turns out to be a fluke (preproduction model, etc) and it brakes like my 03 I'd have no issue with it. That said, I'll wait for the Escape to get a new tranny before upgrading.

My Wife has an 05 Escape which she puts over 100 miles each day on in her commute. This SUV has been trouble free with no visits to the shop other then for the annual maintenance checks. We plan on upgrading to the new escape in the next couple of years because of her positive experience with the 05.

Curious that I didn't notice that reference to a mileage increase before. Does anyone know the actual EPA ratings for the 2008 Merury Mariner Hybrid / Ford Escape Hybrid? Is it really 35/32 instead of 32/29?

The article in the link stated that the 2008 Escape (gasoline models) will have a 2 MPG improvement. Does this mean they are actually putting the six-speed transmissions on the 2008 Escapes? I didn't realize that this would be a quick change if that was true. While 2 MPG may seem minor, I think this is a nice increase since the new EPA estimates start with the 2008 models.

Curious that I didn't notice that reference to a mileage increase before. Does anyone know the actual EPA ratings for the 2008 Merury Mariner Hybrid / Ford Escape Hybrid? Is it really 35/32 instead of 32/29?

I haven't seen anything, but I have been looking. 32/29 is for the AWD models. The FWD models are rated 36/31. I would guess they are 39/34 now. Nice!

I haven't seen anything, but I have been looking. 32/29 is for the AWD models. The FWD models are rated 36/31. I would guess they are 39/34 now. Nice!

Right, without AWD. But: I thought the 2008 EPA economy rating method was supposed to reduce figures, because air conditioning is now supposed to be included, and cold starts are to be at 25 deg., instead of at 75 deg. So far I haven't found any other tidbits about this on the Web.

Right, without AWD. But: I thought the 2008 EPA economy rating method was supposed to reduce figures, because air conditioning is now supposed to be included, and cold starts are to be at 25 deg., instead of at 75 deg. So far I haven't found any other tidbits about this on the Web.

yes the 08 figures will be lower ( the reason why the new tundra will be 07 instead of 08)...

but no one has any sense of HOW MUCH lower ..

I think what wvujeb was trying to say was that with 07 testing the improved hybrid would get 39/34 ..

but in all honesty, hybrids will be hit by far the most of all models ..

there are rumors, that the Prius will fall down to 45mpg, while small I4 engines will not lose that much - erasing the perceived MPG superiority.

Igor

yes the 08 figures will be lower ( the reason why the new tundra will be 07 instead of 08)...

but no one has any sense of HOW MUCH lower ..

I think what wvujeb was trying to say was that with 07 testing the improved hybrid would get 39/34 ..

but in all honesty, hybrids will be hit by far the most of all models ..

there are rumors, that the Prius will fall down to 45mpg, while small I4 engines will not lose that much - erasing the perceived MPG superiority.

Igor

What I would like to know is how this is going to effect the tax credit for hybrid vehicles. I have been trying to research this and I haven't been able to find anything. The tax credits are currently based on a comparison to the gas models. If the hybrid fuel economy plummits, are we going to get screwed on our tax credit. I'm planning on ordering a 2008 Mariner Hybrid within the next week or two and I'm a little worried about this.

Edited by wvujeb