False advertising, Ford ignores it!

Wkendrvr

Most of the vehicles seen on dealer lots with quirky/missing options are usually the result of custom orders that end up not being sold.

<snip>

If that were the case, it would be one thing, but this is Ford removing a feature and hiding it, or deliberately misleading, or not on the ball enough to even have a clue as to what they are selling.

This is an indication of why Ford is slumping. The "I don't care" attitude comes from the top down.

If that were the case, it would be one thing, but this is Ford removing a feature and hiding it, or deliberately misleading, or not on the ball enough to even have a clue as to what they are selling.

This is an indication of why Ford is slumping. The "I don't care" attitude comes from the top down.

not sure that is really the case, i would not think it was deliberate, but DEFINITELY an oversight, also i don't think people would purchase the Nav system just because they thought it was MP3 compatible, I would think the Nav would be bought for it's sole purpose....sorry , not good at the copy and paste as you can see, but I recall you saying several bought the system because it had MP3....implies that the Nav was an after thought. I may be mis-understanding you, if so ..apologies

The nav system is pretty anemic, the bigger reason to get it for a lot of folks was the ability to monitor the Hybrid System but there are a bunch of folks that said that the MP3 was a big factor in getting that radio. (check green hybrid forum)

Attached is the window sticker.

As you can see it says Standard equipment am/fm in-dash 6 disc cd w/mp3 and 4 speakers. In the optional equipment it just says NAV/FUEL ECON/ENERGY FLOW ENERGY AUDIOPHILE & NAV SYSTEM.

When you order options they are SUPPOSED To be upgrades, not downgrades.

sticker.pdf

The nav system is pretty anemic, the bigger reason to get it for a lot of folks was the ability to monitor the Hybrid System but there are a bunch of folks that said that the MP3 was a big factor in getting that radio. (check green hybrid forum)

As you can see it says Standard equipment am/fm in-dash 6 disc cd w/mp3 and 4 speakers. In the optional equipment it just says NAV/FUEL ECON/ENERGY FLOW ENERGY AUDIOPHILE & NAV SYSTEM.

Like I said I agree, one thing though is the upgrade defeats the 6 in dash as well, and one would think an upgrade would include all the options of the std unit, unfortunately that is not the case...should be a dis-claimer as previously mentioned...that said...the major purchasing point of the Nav system here is definitely the ability to circumnavigate...I haven't had one mention of the MP3, however that would probably have to do more with demographics her in So Cal...one can get lost EASY!

like I said ..NOT logical at all....

Dean, I think it is a technical issue. The NAV display takes up room that the 6 disc would use. There is only so much space in the dash. If you get the NAV your 6 disc goes under the seat. I wouldn't think it is much of a problem. At least they didnt put it in the center console like the old Explorer.

Huh? Could you give more info - I didn't know about that. Where in the center console?

My '96 and '98 Explorers had the 6 disc cd player in the center console. This was before they introduced the in dash unit that swallowed the discs. The upside was that you still had a cassette player in the dash unit. The downside was that the cd player took up most of the console space.

Dean, I think it is a technical issue. The NAV display takes up room that the 6 disc would use. There is only so much space in the dash. If you get the NAV your 6 disc goes under the seat. I wouldn't think it is much of a problem. At least they didnt put it in the center console like the old Explorer.

Yes I know...my Spock impersonation..ie "illogical" was based on the loss of options ( in this case MP3 ) when basically stepping up on the audio ladder...I would say separating the CD changer is probably more of a packaging issue as a combined Nav and CD changer may not fit in the Escapes dash

My '96 and '98 Explorers had the 6 disc cd player in the center console. This was before they introduced the in dash unit that swallowed the discs. The upside was that you still had a cassette player in the dash unit. The downside was that the cd player took up most of the console space.

Interesting.

From memory, I have a buddy with a 2000 EB Explorer and the CD-changer (not sure if it's a 6-CD) is in the dash. The center console has an information display in it.

Oh and the late '90s Explorers have a ciggie lighter - that's such a rarity nowadays.

The left box has the standard equipoment - the standard radio is MP3 capable.

It is a "AM/FM In-Dash 6-Disc CD W/ MP3 and 4-Speakers"

The right box has the details on the options ordered:

ENERGY AUDIOPHILE & NAV SYSTEM

Never see 'MP3' listed.

This repalces the standard radio. Confusing, probably. 'False Advertising' - probably not.

The left box has the standard equipoment - the standard radio is MP3 capable.

It is a "AM/FM In-Dash 6-Disc CD W/ MP3 and 4-Speakers"

The right box has the details on the options ordered:

ENERGY AUDIOPHILE & NAV SYSTEM

Never see 'MP3' listed.

This repalces the standard radio. Confusing, probably. 'False Advertising' - probably not.

I also don't see that it has bucket seats, I guess I should be happy that they didn't "upgrade" to bench when they added the heated seats, according to your logic...

Take a look at the website. They SHOW the NAV radio and underneath it state that it has MP3 This has been done in multiple places. The window sticker, on the web, there is even print advertising that has the same. Ford has been told NUMEROUS times over the last year, and has changed none of the misleading material.

Once you know there is a problem and you do nothing to stop it, it crosses the line between a simple miswording and deliberate attempt to mislead....

The ONLY place that they made the correction was in the owners manual. No where else. So, tell me, if they didn't know this was an issue, why correct it in the owners manual, but still leave all the misleading info out there?

http://www.mercuryvehicles.com/marinerhybr...e=sound_systems

main_ft_ent_audio.jpg

Crank it Up.

Get the most out of your music with the available Audiophile® Sound System. Features include:

* 320 watts of power

* Six-disc in-dash CD changer

* Seven strategically located speakers, including an eight-inch subwoofer

* MP3 Capability

* SIRIUS* Satellite Radio capable — featuring 100 percent commercial-free music

The available Hybrid Energy/Navigation/Audiophile® Sound System combines the sound system with an LCD color screen that displays hybrid energy use and navigation system maps. Included in the Premium Package.

Interior Features Exterior Features Power & Handling Safety

Interior Features

KEY

= Standard = Optional NA = Not Available

Escape Hybrid

FWD

4WD

Front seats: low-back buckets, premium cloth with adjustable head restraints, driver and passenger map pockets and 6-way power driver’s seat

Rear seat: 60/40 split premium cloth with adjustable head restraints, tip/fold-flat latch and removable seat cushion

Front seats: low-back buckets, leather-trimmed with adjustable head restraints, driver and passenger map pockets, heated bucket seats and 6-way power driver’s seat (included in the optional Premium Package)

Rear seat: 60/40 leather-trimmed with adjustable head restraints, tip/fold-flat latch and removable seat cushion (included in the optional Premium Package)

KEY

Escape Hybrid

FWD

4WD

Manual air conditioning

Rear floor heat ducts

KEY

Escape Hybrid

FWD

4WD

1) AM/FM stereo with 6-disc in-dash CD system with clock and 4 speakers (Satellite and mp3 capable)

2) 320-watt Audiophile 6-disc in-dash CD system with 7 speakers (Satellite and mp3 capable)

3) Hybrid Energy Audio & Navigation System. Includes hybrid energy flow graphic, fuel economy display, AM/FM Audiophile radio with 6-CD/DJ under passenger seat, 7 speakers (Navigation capability with full map, turn-by-turn voice direction, point of interest)

I don't understand your problem. 1 is standard, 2 and 3 are optional. There are always changes that affect other features when different options are ordered. Do you assume that because a standard 4 cylinder engine is 4 valves per cylinder the optional engine is also? It may SEEM logical to you, but it's not the case.

*vehicle show may have additional options. Prices, features and options are subject to change.

Obviously you are a Ford employee... I can tell by the attitude. :finger:

Wrong. Look, we understand why you might EXPECT that the energy/nav/audiophile unit would be mp3 capable. But that's not what it says. Yes, it's confusing the way it's displayed, but it's not false advertising nor was it done on purpose to trick people. Get over it.

What you get from customer service is, "The manual clearly states" Yeah no kidding, but the problem isn't the manual. They basically then tell you to call the dealer, its a dealer issue.

I will try to get in touch with those groups, but as of yet no luck, just run around.

Many folks have complained, you would think Ford would care enough to correct the bad info...

This may have been cleared up in further posts but... They are what they say they are compatible. My Shelby has both Nav and Satellite & Plug in for Mp3's also.

What FoMoCo is saying is radio is compatible to play Mp3 using the aux plug in which is on each and every 2007 Up Ford.

So yes in fact they will play MP3. Some model FoMo vehicles will play DVD's in NAV sytem too but not the Shelby. DVD is used for navigation system only on Shelby. Still has the 6 CD unit too though.

Well thats where it gets even funnier, the hybrid you see won't have sync. So all the ad material for the Escape and the Mariner will be wrong cuz they are using a special radio to show the hybrid screens.

Dean, when you look at the sticker and it says it has a feature, you expect the add ons not to remove it. I.E. when they up'd to the NAV they included a 6 disc changer under the seat instead of in dash because of the (puny) nav/hybrid screen. If it took you a while to figure out that the sticker is wrong, how long is it going to take someone that JUST READ THE STICKER (or website)?

I know a number of folks that bought the vehicle with that radio because it said it had it... So far NONE of us have gotten any satisfaction.

A bunch of folks that went green buying these are now seeing red :banghead:

The NAV unit does in fact have an IN DASH 6 CD unit along with mp3 plug in at least on Shelby. I am sure its the same unit in the 07 Escape?

As my other post it also has Sirius radio.

The NAV unit does in fact have an IN DASH 6 CD unit along with mp3 plug in at least on Shelby. I am sure its the same unit in the 07 Escape?

As my other post it also has Sirius radio.

The Hybrid Nav radio has a 6 disc changer under the passenger seat and has NO option for either MP3 or SAT despite advertising and dealer info to the contrary. Ford was nice enough to fix the owners manual, and the tool to order a NEW one, but nothing else, no effort was made to correct the dealer info (dealers are STILL telling folks that it does have those features!), the window sticker or even the website that shows the "wrong" radio with the wrong description, and wrong features. Despite the fact that all of the other Escapes and Mercury Mariner's have that option, show it the same on their sticker, I am supposed to just "get over it" because a) its in the owners manual (didnt you read yours before buying your vehicle?) B) if you build it online it clearly shows the conflict (Didnt you try to build the exact model that the dealer had in stock before buying?)

Nevermind that the dealers can't figure it out ( read Dean's posts), according to some here, (more than likely Ford shills) we are supposed to just realize that everyone makes mistakes and over a year for them to correct the misleading info is not quite enough time and we should be overjoyed that we are driving fords despite whatever misleading info was given.

The Hybrid Nav radio has a 6 disc changer under the passenger seat and has NO option for either MP3 or SAT despite advertising and dealer info to the contrary. Ford was nice enough to fix the owners manual, and the tool to order a NEW one, but nothing else, no effort was made to correct the dealer info (dealers are STILL telling folks that it does have those features!), the window sticker or even the website that shows the "wrong" radio with the wrong description, and wrong features. Despite the fact that all of the other Escapes and Mercury Mariner's have that option, show it the same on their sticker, I am supposed to just "get over it" because a) its in the owners manual (didnt you read yours before buying your vehicle?) B) if you build it online it clearly shows the conflict (Didnt you try to build the exact model that the dealer had in stock before buying?)

Nevermind that the dealers can't figure it out ( read Dean's posts), according to some here, (more than likely Ford shills) we are supposed to just realize that everyone makes mistakes and over a year for them to correct the misleading info is not quite enough time and we should be overjoyed that we are driving fords despite whatever misleading info was given.

Take a deep breath and try to comprehend. I agree with you that it's confusing and should be changed on the website. I also agree that a reasonable person would have assumed the energy/nav/audiophile unit would play mp3s.

The only thing I disagree with is that it's false advertising and that it was done on purpose to mislead people.

I'm not an apologist or a shill. But if it's that important to you, YOU should have made damn sure it had it when you bought it. Features and options change all the time.

Now quit WHINNING!