1st time Ford Truck customer

jeff355

After driving Chevy trucks forever, and working for Ford for the last 11 years- I decided to give a Ford pickup a shot. I bought a 2006 F150 4x4 Super-Crew, 5.4 xlt, trailer tow, posi, 3.73 rear 6.5 box. I get all kinds of complements on my truck compared to my last few Chevs, last one being an 04 Avalanche. After having the truck for a few months, now I can honestly say I wish I had the Avalanche back. Before you guys jump all over me let me tell you some reasons why. Gas mileage, not as good, engine noisy,lacks power, transmission shifts lazily- too smooth, feels like it slipping until it drops into OD, seats in my XLT are cheap and flat-no support, I have the 9200lb payload pkg(heavy duty) and the truck rides like your stting in the back of a school bus, BRAKE DUST ! I know everyone here knows about this- what are they using for rotors recycled dodges? Even the radio stinks. Now I know what youre gonna say, your too fussy, those arent big deals its a truck not a car. Well I work for Ford and I expect better out of our products. Its sad to say but everyday I get in that truck, I wish I still had that Chevrolet. I tried to do the right thing for all of us, now I know this will probably be my last Ford truck. The great looks can only carry it so far. Cmon Ford- be bold give me a deisel in the F150 and I may consider another, if not I see another Chev in my near future.

After driving Chevy trucks forever, and working for Ford for the last 11 years- I decided to give a Ford pickup a shot. I bought a 2006 F150 4x4 Super-Crew, 5.4 xlt, trailer tow, posi, 3.73 rear 6.5 box. I get all kinds of complements on my truck compared to my last few Chevs, last one being an 04 Avalanche. After having the truck for a few months, now I can honestly say I wish I had the Avalanche back. Before you guys jump all over me let me tell you some reasons why. Gas mileage, not as good, engine noisy,lacks power, transmission shifts lazily- too smooth, feels like it slipping until it drops into OD, seats in my XLT are cheap and flat-no support, I have the 9200lb payload pkg(heavy duty) and the truck rides like your stting in the back of a school bus, BRAKE DUST ! I know everyone here knows about this- what are they using for rotors recycled dodges? Even the radio stinks. Now I know what youre gonna say, your too fussy, those arent big deals its a truck not a car. Well I work for Ford and I expect better out of our products. Its sad to say but everyday I get in that truck, I wish I still had that Chevrolet. I tried to do the right thing for all of us, now I know this will probably be my last Ford truck. The great looks can only carry it so far. Cmon Ford- be bold give me a deisel in the F150 and I may consider another, if not I see another Chev in my near future.

Didn't you test drive the vehicle first? The majority of your gripes are things you should have picked up on during a test drive. The break dust thing does stink on the Fords.

Of course I test drove it. These are things you dont notice in a 1/2 hr test drive, just some observations after a few months of living with the vehicle. About the only thing I noticed right away was the lazy shifting. On a positive note, I love the steering feel and the quietness of the cab and it doesnt hurt it was the least expensive of the big three full size crew cab 4x4 trucks ! By the way GT40- if your Dads truck has no brake dust- he hasnt driven it since last time he washed it ! They ALL do it.

Edited by jeff355

Of course I test drove it. These are things you dont notice in a 1/2 hr test drive, just some observations after a few months of living with the vehicle. About the only thing I noticed right away was the lazy shifting. On a positive note, I love the steering feel and the quietness of the cab and it doesnt hurt it was the least expensive of the big three full size crew cab 4x4 trucks ! By the way GT40- if your Dads truck has no brake dust- he hasnt driven it since last time he washed it ! They ALL do it.

I know you can’t catch everything in a test drive, but I would think that seats, radio & ride should have been noticed, even in as little as ½ an hour. I have an 01 SuperCrew 4x4 Lariat and I found the seats in it to be very comfortable.

The radio is only mediocre but adequate, which I knew when I bought it. If I felt the need for a better stereo, I would have put something aftermarket in it.

My truck also rides pretty rough, but I expected that being a 4x4 with the bigger tires & wheels and the so-called "off road" package.

I also found the tranny to be a little lazy, but found that a SuperChip makes a big difference. I've heard that the "drive by wire" is set-up pretty conservatively and can make the newer trucks feel slower then they really are. Maybe your dealer could "re-flash" the computer and improve the throttle response & shifting? Either that or get one of those tuners (like from SuperChips, Diablo, Hypertech, etc), they can make a big difference with throttle response & the way the tranny shifts. Mine also has a K&N and a Flowmaster, which seems to have also made a difference.

As far as the brakes go, I replaced my pads with some ceramic pads and now have nearly zero dust.

Sorry you don’t care for your truck, but don't give up yet. Ford should be improving on your complaints on the next model.

As for the seats, its more the material and overall shape that irks me. Try putting something on them(bag of fast food, grocery bag, cell phone etc) and turning a corner- your stuff flys off into the door jamb. Radio on low during test drive. Id rather listen for engine or drivetrain noises on a test drive- they are much more important then tunes, and as for the ride... I knew it was rough but thought I could live with it. I can for now because I use the truck to tow a 26' TT and then its much better with a load. Maybe they could soften the ride a bit. Thanx for the tip about the programmers, Ive been looking into the EDGE programmer to tweak shift points and stuff to my liking. I also may look into the ceramic pads. Im not ready to get rid of it yet, Ill give it some time and hopefully everything will work out as it breaks in. I work for Ford and expected a little much I guess.

I have the 9200lb payload pkg(heavy duty) and the truck rides like your stting in the back of a school bus

I don't understand why , if ride quality was your main concern, you opted for the Heavy Duty payload package. You had to know it would ride rough. Especially not loaded.

Comparing the ride quality of an Avalanche in its most heavy duty configuration with a payload rating in the area of 1800 lbs, to a truck with a 9200 lb rating is kind of like comparing the ride quality of a Fiesta to Town Car.

Not flaming, just being realistic

I bought a 2006 F150 4x4 Super-Crew, 5.4 xlt, trailer tow, posi, 3.73 rear 6.5 box...I have the 9200lb payload pkg(heavy duty) and the truck rides like your stting in the back of a school bus
Wrong!

You cannot get the heavy duty payload package on an F-150 SuperCrew or a 6.5box and the package is only available with the 4:10 axle ratio not the 3:73 you say yours has.

In 2006 the Heavy Duty Payload Package was option #627 and it increases GVWR to 8200 lbs (not 9200)

It is ONLY available with the 8 foot box and you cannot get an F-150 SuperCrew cab with an 8ft box. The only cabs you can order the heavy duty payload package with are regular cab and SuperCab.

Also note the heavy duty payload package is only available with gray painted steel wheels with a unique (to the F-150) 7-lug bolt pattern and LT245/70x17D BSW A/T tires.

BRAKE DUST ! I know everyone here knows about this- what are they using for rotors recycled dodges?
Brake dust is caused by the brake pads not the rotors. Ford designed the pads for quiet operation (no squeeling) progressive feel and high heat resistance, the only compromise was the amount of dust produced, but I wash my truck once a week anyway so it's not a problem.

The next time you claim to work for Ford and try to bash Ford at least research the product so you don't claim to own a truck that was never built, it gives your credibility a kick in the nuts. By the way, great first post.

Edited by F250

Wrong!

You cannot get the heavy duty payload package on an F-150 SuperCrew or a 6.5box and the package is only available with the 4:10 axle ratio not the 3:73 you say yours has.

In 2006 the Heavy Duty Payload Package was option #627 and it increases GVWR to 8200 lbs (not 9200)

It is ONLY available with the 8 foot box and you cannot get an F-150 SuperCrew cab with an 8ft box. The only cabs you can order the heavy duty payload package with are regular cab and SuperCab.

Also note the heavy duty payload package is only available with gray painted steel wheels with a unique (to the F-150) 7-lug bolt pattern and LT245/70x17D BSW A/T tires. Brake dust is caused by the brake pads not the rotors. Ford designed the pads for quiet operation (no squeeling) progressive feel and high heat resistance, the only compromise was the amount of dust produced, but I wash my truck once a week anyway so it's not a problem.

The next time you claim to work for Ford and try to bash Ford at least research the product so you don't claim to own a truck that was never built, it gives your credibility a kick in the nuts. By the way, great first post.

+1

Ok, dont get your panties in a knot. You may be right about it being an 8200lb pkg, I will look for my window sticker and see what it says. I know its got a heavy duty pkg and Ill post it for you to see and we will find out just how much of an EXPERT you are. Also the avalanche wasnt heavy duty enough for my needs. The F150 was more heavy duty and better suited to my new trailer. Also I thought, why not give one a try, the price was right. I forgot to say in 95 I bought a new Mustang GT and that car was good to me. In 2000 I bought a Taurus, it was OK too. Dont flap your gums cause I had a few NON FORD trucks, I still did my part what about you? Try to keep an open mind and go drive a couple of the other brands... To F250: its the pads causing the dust... Yeah pads along with the junk ROTORS, that why you have to replace the rotors with the pads when you do a brake job. You d know that if you ever tried to have Ford rotors turned.

Ok, dont get your panties in a knot. You may be right about it being an 8200lb pkg, I will look for my window sticker and see what it says. I know its got a heavy duty pkg and Ill post it for you to see and we will find out just how much of an EXPERT you are. Also the avalanche wasnt heavy duty enough for my needs. The F150 was more heavy duty and better suited to my new trailer. Also I thought, why not give one a try, the price was right. I forgot to say in 95 I bought a new Mustang GT and that car was good to me. In 2000 I bought a Taurus, it was OK too. Dont flap your gums cause I had a few NON FORD trucks, I still did my part what about you? Try to keep an open mind and go drive a couple of the other brands... To F250: its the pads causing the dust... Yeah pads along with the junk ROTORS, that why you have to replace the rotors with the pads when you do a brake job. You d know that if you ever tried to have Ford rotors turned.

dude... almost ALL cras require you to change pads and rotors together.

Why? Equal wear because tis metal on metal. A by-product of no longer using asbestos in pads.

Go read a magazine or something because this is all public domain knowledge and has been for 10 years.

And IIRC, the AV is still available in 3/4 with the 6.0 if not 6.2 available (they used to have the 8.1 available in the 3/4 AV) So it will do whatever the Ford will.

• 2 weeks later...

the f-150 has a different ride, its not rough, and it is certainly quieter than any chevy. It has no brake dust, trust me, and I got 19 mpg on an 800 km highway trip, partially loaded on the way back. I think its just you. oh, and I'm not a skinny person, so chey seats hurt.

the pads causing the dust... Yeah pads along with the junk ROTORS, that why you have to replace the rotors with the pads when you do a brake job. You d know that if you ever tried to have Ford rotors turned.

I have a a 99 F250 with 150,000 KM on it with the factory rotors on all 4 coners. I pull a 26ft Fith wheel with the truck and no problem with the rotors yet.

I also had a rental 06 F150 for two weeks over the sumer with 4x4 and tow package and found it to be quite comfortable both on and off road.

I know its got a heavy duty pkg and Ill post it for you to see and we will find out just how much of an EXPERT you are...

Well?

It's been 2 weeks!

Where the hell did you go troll. What's the matter can't find the truck that was never built?

I'm still waiting for you to prove me wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

Of the complaints listed by the original poster, I can only agree with the brake dust. I have about 1,400 miles on my '07 F150 and I notice the brake dust buildup a lot more than other trucks I've owned. But, with so many other great things about the truck, the brake dust doesn't even bother me. I can deal with it moreso than squealing brakes!

I don't claim to work at ford but I also have a chevy/dodge background and just bought my first f-150. I too am dissapointed by some things you really don't catch in a short test drive.

- why would they set up the heat so that your right foot cooks and your left foot freezes???? ( the air comes out right on your foot)

- the transition between the center console and the dash is very unfomfortabe on your right leg on long drives and the seat adjustabilty range is too limited, I would like to tilt it back more.

- and positively despise the way it shuts off while it figures out what gear it wants to be in.

- worst gas milage of any pickup I've ever owned (including and 05' dodge AWD hemi)

- dog slow, it can't get out of its own way much less out of the way of a chevy or dodge

all in all my dodge pickups were much more pleasurable to drive

I don't claim to work at ford but I also have a chevy/dodge background and just bought my first f-150. I too am dissapointed by some things you really don't catch in a short test drive.

- why would they set up the heat so that your right foot cooks and your left foot freezes???? ( the air comes out right on your foot)

- the transition between the center console and the dash is very unfomfortabe on your right leg on long drives and the seat adjustabilty range is too limited, I would like to tilt it back more.

- and positively despise the way it shuts off while it figures out what gear it wants to be in.

- worst gas milage of any pickup I've ever owned (including and 05' dodge AWD hemi)

- dog slow, it can't get out of its own way much less out of the way of a chevy or dodge

all in all my dodge pickups were much more pleasurable to drive

LINK

As you can see in the link the F-150 5.4L 4x4 gets 14-18 MPG while the '05 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 4x4 is rated at 13-17 MPG.

So if "all of your Dodge pickups were much more pleasurable to drive" why did you leave Dodge to buy a Ford? If everything was "pleasurable" with Dodge you wouldn't have bought a Ford...right?

Edited by F250

I bought a ford because I was shopping at year end and all the dodge larimie's were sold out and I couln't get the options I wanted, so I started looking at lariats. Plus ford was offering very attractive financing, so I thought I'd try an f-150. and I don't care what the posted milage is I was getting 3-4 mpg better than I get with this f-150 originally, althought that has closed to 2-3 not that it has some miles on it.

I bought a ford because I was shopping at year end and all the dodge larimie's were sold out and I couln't get the options I wanted, so I started looking at lariats. Plus ford was offering very attractive financing, so I thought I'd try an f-150. and I don't care what the posted milage is I was getting 3-4 mpg better than I get with this f-150 originally, althought that has closed to 2-3 not that it has some miles on it.

You actually answered my question in the manual shift on the fly discussion where you said:

I had an 05 dodge with full time AWD and it kept chewing up the front gears every 5k miles...... I ended up lemon lawing it.

Well that makes the F-150 look a whole lot better now doesn't it.

I'm still amazed that they messed up something as simple as the floor heat in an otherwise excellent interrior, I had to block off the vent on the drivers side. I'm up to 8k miles now, and although its a dog it HAS been relaiable, the only problem I've had is a bad door handle and some lockout chatter when I put it into 4wd.

:banghead:

This may not be the right place to address this but here it is.

I am in the market for a pickup truck, I have a Escape and a Ranger so I am leaning towards another Ford product.

At the local dealer they have a really pretty red 4x4 extended cab, just what I want. I look it over and could not believe what I saw for tires they are hankook. What is up with that crap? Are they Chinese or Korean or what??? Here American jobs are being lost everyday by imports, GM, and Ford are on the ropes and instead of installing tires by an American company such as Goodyear or Cooper they Stickon some flea bitten off brand.. What a bunch of crap..

Notice I said nothing about Firestone since they are owned by a foreign company or Dodge since they are also owned by a foreign company and getting ready to go out of business.